Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why prescribed number of japa rounds?

Re: Why prescribed number of japa rounds?

Namaste

In chapter 6 madhya lila , the word japa does not mean japa on beeds for a prescribed number. read the previous lines and two slokes referered to there.

In chaper 22 and 24 of madhya lila, the word japa was mentioned with reference to vaidhi bhakti which is not recommended in the chaitanya charitamrita . The most important point is there is no prescribed numbers for japa mentioned in the above chapters . if we read chaitanya charitamrita being unbiased , it will be easy to understand that it is nam sankirtan and not nam japa is the basic feature of chaitanya's vaishnab dharma. mahaprabhu himself taught this to his associates. if anyone equates nam sankirtan with nam japa then reading chaitanya charitamrita does have no significance.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by jopmala View Post
    In chapter 6 madhya lila , the word japa does not mean japa on beeds for a prescribed number. read the previous lines and two slokes referered to there.

In chaper 22 and 24 of madhya lila, the word japa was mentioned with reference to vaidhi bhakti which is not recommended in the chaitanya charitamrita . The most important point is there is no prescribed numbers for japa mentioned in the above chapters . if we read chaitanya charitamrita being unbiased , it will be easy to understand that it is nam sankirtan and not nam japa is the basic feature of chaitanya's vaishnab dharma. mahaprabhu himself taught this to his associates. if anyone equates nam sankirtan with nam japa then reading chaitanya charitamrita does have no significance.
    What I can see in verses of Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 22.123 (http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/22/123/):

"(19) chant softly, (20) chant congregationally"
    japa — chanting softly; sańkīrtana — chanting congregationally

and Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 24.337 (http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/24/337/) is that japa is one of the most important elements of Gaudiya vaishnava practice. Japa is as important as sankirtana.

Now, as far as prescribed numbers for japa is concerned, no one says that there is a predefined number of times for japa to be performed. Scriptures explain how to practice japa. There is no provision that says japa should be performed exact number of N times.

regards

namaste

I would like to know whether chaitanya mahaprabhu him self did ever japa on beeds or any of his associates did japa as far as chaitanya charitamrita is concerced. I would also like to draw your attention to the first chapter of Adi Lila of CC where it says :

krishna bhaktir badhak jata subhasubho karma
    seho ek jiber ajnan tamo dharma
    jahar prasade ei tama haya nash

tamonash kari kare tattver prakash
    tattva bastu - krishna, krishna bhakti,premrupa
    Nam sankirtan- sav ananda swarupa

chaitanya mahaprabhu used to advise nam sankirtan everytime. not a single time he is found to advise anybody for nam japa on beeds and what is need of japa if nam sankirtan can be continued. please go through chaitanya charitamrita and see what nam sankirtan is meant for. To me nam sankirtan gives so much pleasure that necessity of japa is not felt at all.

Namaste

All the associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu practiced japa. We see in Caitanya Caritāmṛta Madhya 24.337 (http://vedabase.net/cc/madhya/24/337/) that Sri Caitanya instructed Sanatana Gosvami to describe how devotees should practice japa. Sanatana Gosvami gave detailed description of this topic in his book Hari bhakti vilasa. Sanatana Gosvami was one of the leading disciples and associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He was one of the Gosvamis, leading disciples, who had the task to describe the teachings of Sri Chaitanya or Gaudiya vaishnava sampradaya in numerous books. All followers of Sri Chaitanya were supposed to read those books and learn from them.

Japa can be performed always, and when the person is alone, at all times of the day and everywhere.

regards

Namaste
    First of all I suppose , you do not treat both nam sankirtan and japa in the same level. If nam sankirtan and japa was considered or treated same then Krishna Das Kaviraj would have written japa in every occassion he mentioned ‘sankirtan’ in chaitanya charitamrita. I think we are not at opposit side in this regard.
    2. I am not interested to bring any compare between chatanya charitamrita and Hari bhakti vilas. I think chaitanya charitamrita is most widely read , respected and accepted by the vaishnab who follows chaitanya mahaprabhu. There are many things to talk about but I just want to take you to chapter 4 of Anta Lila of chaitanya charitamrita where mahaprabhu tells sanatan goswami :
    Bhajaner madhye sreshtha navabidha bhakti
    Krishna prem krishna dite dhare mahashakti
    Tar madhye sarva sreshtha nam sankirtan
    Niraparadh nam haite haya premdhan
    3. please go through chaitanya charitamrita and find the merits of nam sankirtan but I am sure you will find no merit at all of japa so far chaitanya charitamrita is concerned.
    4. Lastly ,Adi Lila 4th chapter :
    "sri krishna chaitanya gosain raser sadan
    Ashesh visheshe kaila rasa aswadan
    Sei dware prabartila kaliyug dharma
    Chaitanyar dashe jane ei sav marma
    Ei sav siddhanta gurha kahite na juyaya
    Na kahile keha iahar anta nahi paya
    Ata-ava kahi kichu karia nigurha
    Bujhibe rasik bhakta na bujhive murha"

That the kaliyug dharma is namsankirtan has been mentioned thousand times in chaitanya charitamrita. No where in chaitanya charitamrita it is said that japa is the kaliyug dharma. So many things people do which have no significance at all still they are doing.It is their prerogative.

I do not know whether prescribed number of japa can fill our eyes in tears or can choak our voice with emotion or can erect the hairs of our body but , yes , nam sankirtan can do all these things ( chapter 20 anta lila of CC). This rasa can not found in prescribed number of japa.
    Last edited by jopmala; 15 October 2013 at 01:24 AM.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by jopmala View Post
    First of all I suppose , you do not treat both nam sankirtan and japa in the same level.
    find the merits of nam sankirtan but I am sure you will find no merit at all of japa
    I can agree with you that the importance of sankirtana is higher and described as more important, but it does not mean that the Japa is insignificant or that the followers of Sri Caitanya had never practiced it.
    Had japa not been important or had japa never been practiced, it would not have been mentioned in Caitanya Caritamrta.
    Sri Caitanya asked Sanatana Gosvami to describe japa. It must have a significance then.

The teachings of Sri Caitanya are based on the scriptures such as Bhagavad gita, the Puranas such as Srimad Bhagavatam etc. I think it would be totally superficial and wrong to think that Sri Caitanya neglected the importance of japa since it is mentioned even in the Bhagavad gita 10.25 (http://vedabase.net/bg/10/25/en) :

yajñānāḿ japa-yajño 'smi

"Of sacrifices I am the chanting of the holy names [japa]"

What is important to note here is that in this chapter of Bhagavad gita Lord Krishna describes all the sublime things in the world that
    represents Him. Japa is clearly mentioned as one of the best types of Vedic sacrifices. Of all the possible types of Vedic sacrifices Lord Krishna stands out just japa as something outstanding! The Lord says "Of vedic sacrifices I am japa". How, then, could japa be irrelevant?

regards

Thread Information