Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chanting mantra throughout the day

Chanting mantra throughout the day

Namaste,

How do you keep consistently with the Mantra throughout the day such as Om Namah Shivaya without it becoming forceful? Many times I focus on Om Namah Shivaya on the In and out breath, but sometimes it seems that I start regulating breathing instead of just letting it be. The problem is even when i 'try' not to regulate it, I end up making it go in and out with effort to say the Mantra. Does anyone have any tips for this scenario?

Thanks

Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Chanting mantra throughout the day

Hello !

I don't know if it's useful but...Maybe you can help yourself with a music player, with the mantra on it ? I often begin the day with listening to "Om Namah Shivaya" on my phone in the bus, and I have the mantra and the rythm in my head for the whole day !
    If you loose the rythm, it can be useful to continue with the song in the ears.

Aum~
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    Hello !

I don't know if it's useful but...Maybe you can help yourself with a music player, with the mantra on it ? I often begin the day with listening to "Om Namah Shivaya" on my phone in the bus, and I have the mantra and the rythm in my head for the whole day !
    If you loose the rythm, it can be useful to continue with the song in the ears.

Aum~
    ^ This. I'll very often spontaneously start hearing the mantra in my head, then I keep it going for as long as I can.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam: As discussed previously (seems this could be the preface for 90% of stuff on here ... but at least there are new members who may have never heard the same old stuff regurgitated) I don't think you are doing justice to the mantra or regular life trying to have the mantra going in daily life. A time and place for everything. The proper intonation of a a mantra is supposed to take you out of the normal conscious functioning mind, and into a deeper level of mind. Closing your eyes, for example, is usually part of it. I certainly don't want a great Indian surgeon operating on my arthritic knees while simultaneously delving deep within on the vibration of his initiated mantra. Nor do I choose to close my eyes on an Interstate.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    A time and place for everything. The proper intonation of a a mantra is supposed to take you out of the normal conscious functioning mind, and into a deeper level of mind. Closing your eyes, for example, is usually part of it. I certainly don't want a great Indian surgeon operating on my arthritic knees while simultaneously delving deep within on the vibration of his initiated mantra.
    What EM offers is reasonable advice for those starting off in their practice and/or for the gṛhastha (householder). Yet for the sādhu there are different intentions.

The sādhu wishes to have continunity of consciousness with eyes opened or eyes closed. The word that applies is prayatna, meaning continued endeavor 'pauseless'. Hence one's practice ( for the sādhu ) is pursued with eyes open or closed. The techniques are slightly different , yet the intent is the same. To culture pure awareness and stablize it so there never is a break or pause in it, during wake , dream or sleep.

Now is this for everyone... no. It is intented for those with a focus on the full unfoldment of Being as their career ( and volition). Yet, that said some simple things can be done when the mind is not engaged in work, or driving , where focus on the ~job~ at hand is needed. Yet what of one that is walking in the park, or shopping ? Instead of random thoughts, some disciplined thoughts can be engaged in, as a practice as one walks, observes, etc.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Yet what of one that is walking in the park, or shopping ? Instead of random thoughts, some disciplined thoughts can be engaged in, as a practice as one walks, observes, etc.
    Vannakkam Yajvan et al: Yes, thanks for separating this out, based on the level of attention needed for the activity. I often take a walking japa break on long drives. Get off the interstate, find a lonely scenic country road, walk for one round on the mala, turn around, walk back for a second round. It's a nice mental and physical break from the road. Meditation actually makes the meditator more alert for the mundane tasks that may follow. Same with writing, I'll take a japa break, come back and have fresh ideas.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

What EM offers is reasonable advice for those starting off in their practice and/or for the gṛhastha (householder). Yet for the sādhu there are different intentions.

The sādhu wishes to have continunity of consciousness with eyes opened or eyes closed. The word that applies is prayatna, meaning continued endeavor 'pauseless'. Hence one's practice ( for the sādhu ) is pursued with eyes open or closed. The techniques are slightly different , yet the intent is the same. To culture pure awareness and stablize it so there never is a break or pause in it, during wake , dream or sleep.

Now is this for everyone... no. It is intented for those with a focus on the full unfoldment of Being as their career ( and volition). Yet, that said some simple things can be done when the mind is not engaged in work, or driving , where focus on the ~job~ at hand is needed. Yet what of one that is walking in the park, or shopping ? Instead of random thoughts, some disciplined thoughts can be engaged in, as a practice as one walks, observes, etc.

praām
    नमस्ते,

This is good advice. I have been endeavoring to silently chant a mantra in my mind while going to sleep, so that God is the last thing on my mind before sleeping. That is the most worthy subject to be thinking of while going to bed. Similarly while awaking in the morning.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Aum namah Śivāya View Post
    नमस्ते,

This is good advice. I have been endeavoring to silently chant a mantra in my mind while going to sleep, so that God is the last thing on my mind before sleeping. That is the most worthy subject to be thinking of while going to bed. Similarly while awaking in the morning.

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    I did that last night. Most often I will "play" one of my favorite bhajans in my head, hearing the words and melody. It might be the Maha Mantra as done by the London Radha Krishna Temple, or a nice one with a very catchy melody and rhythm such as: "Om Krishna Hare jaya Krishna Hare Guruvayurappan Krishna Hare" over and over, how many times?... I have no idea.

Namaste,

I sometimes find myself chanting mantras in my head as well without even realising it. I understand that there should be a proper time to sit down with conscious and focused mantra japa, but surely it is no harm to say the names of God in one's head even as one is going about the day doing work, or walking down to the shops? I actually notice I am in a better, more peaceful mood when I sing a mantra to myself quietly as I do household chores.

TBTL, I notice some of the most mind-adhesive mantra songs are the ones that praise Sri Radha Krishna? I'm serious, weeks and months after I have heard the chants I can still remember the tempo and the melody!

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste sunyata.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    TBTL, I notice some of the most mind-adhesive mantra songs are the ones that praise Sri Radha Krishna? I'm serious, weeks and months after I have heard the chants I can still remember the tempo and the melody!

Om namah Shivaya
    Yeah, isn't that a pip? When I do nama japa it's usually one of those. I do mantra japa with different melodies and rhythms of one mantra. That's why I love so many of these bhajans.

Thread Information