Quote Originally Posted by Divine Kala View Post
You have no idea how upset I am. There is all possibility that I won't even be able to perform a basic puja - I just don't have the energy and as doing very much at all hurts I don't think I'll be able to stand for the time it takes to read the Shiva Chalisa and sing the arti... I may have to turn my recliner around the face the altar...
Oh, I can imagine. Turn your recliner, face the altar and read the Shiva Chalisa that way. The Lord certainly wouldn't expect a wheelchair-bound or bedridden person to get up. You are sick, He doesn't want you to suffer more, especially when He knows your intentions and devotion. Ahimsa applies to ourselves too. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if He does something nice for you.

Haven't heard this story before but it's yet more evidence that physical, outward puja is only really to help us. God is concerned more with what we are giving inside and how sincere we are then with any outward and flashy signs.
Ya see!? Just keep remembering those flowers. Think of even a single rose. Mentally offer it to Lord Shiva that He may accept it and bless it.

I've heard this story before! But in the version I heard Narada was given a diya by Visnu and told to not let it go out while circumambulating the world. Just as in your version Narada is so intent on keeping the flame of the diya alive that he barely even thinks of Narayana.

Also, in the version I heard Narada asks why Visnu is crying and that is how the whole thing begins. (They are tears of joy, I believe.)
Nine hundred million Hindus, nine hundred million tellings of one story.

Fingers crossed he does. While I was in hospital one of the things I missed most wasn't actually my computer or my home but my japa mala!
I've done japa on my fingers. It took a lot of concentration, but it imparted a great feeling. You could also visualize the numbers 1-108 as you chant. Or just keep chanting as long as your strength holds. Then rest.

When George Harrison lay dying, with Olivia and Dhani, and others around him, he is said to have been reciting the Lord's names until he closed his eyes for the last time. I don't think he even had the strength to hold a mala, or do more than whisper the Lord's names.

If you could get up, I'd tell you to go to the chalkboard and write "Internal devotion, Internal devotion, Internal devotion... " 500 times.