Thread: Help me find this verse?

Help me find this verse?

Namaste everyone.

I forgot where I've read this before, if I can get some help I really appreciate it. There was a verse I read I think it was in the BG, that talked about "US" always existing, and there was never a time you, nor me, nor anything and everything has not existed. An Eternal universe. I found it very profound and beautiful.

Also if there are verses like this in other hindu scriptures that talks about our eternal existence please post.

Thank You.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Re: Help me find this verse?

Namaste

The passage of the Gita, 2.12: "Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be" contains within itself the whole doctrine of how to fulfil ones life.

Om Namah Sivaya

BG 2:12 is indeed the verse.

The verse is loaded with quite profound philosophical implications - eternality of the universe, Samkhyan position of effect pre-existing in cause, creation being nothing but manifestation of the unmanifest, but not creation of something out of nothing, etc.

Namaste

I might take a varied and different approach regarding this verse than Wundermonk ... but we might not be so far away from each other … I might be unorthodox in this experience of Hinduism.

- Actually I will reword this more to the point: This verse opens the realm of possibilities that many whom we have known and know around us were souls from the past as well as the living past and living present. We may met them again in the future on our adventures of Hinduism. I do not grieve for those of them I have know who are now dead, we may soon meet again in the future! Many, many around us have shared many adventures, good and bad, and the number of such may be much larger than you can imagine.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 06 April 2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: abbreviated to the point

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Seeker View Post
    Also if there are verses like this in other hindu scriptures that talks about our eternal existence please post.
    That living beings are eternal is also confirmed in Bhagavad-gītā 15.7 (http://vedabase.net/bg/15/7/en) where the word "sanātanaḥ" which means "eternal" is applied:

mamaivāḿśo jīva-loke
    jīva-bhūtaḥ sanātanaḥ

"The living entities in this conditioned world are My eternal fragmental parts."

See also Svetasvatara Upanishad 6.13 where living beings are called "nityānāṃ" which means "eternals" and The Supreme Lord is called "nityo" which means "One eternal":

nityo nityānāṃ cetanaś cetanānām eko bahūnāṃ yo vidadhāti kāmān

"He (The Supreme Lord) is the supreme eternal among all eternals and the supreme conscious entity among all conscious entities, who fulfills everyone's desires and needs."
    regards

Thread Information