Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hello everyone! I am here to learn about Hinduism. I am trying to find a religion that feels right, and I just decided to start with Hinduism. I live in Houston Texas so if there is anyone in that area please PM me. ^^ I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there. I guess that's it.

-Bethany

Re: Hello!

Namaste,

Welcome Beth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there.
    Reading, understanding and practicing the contents of the scriptures takes a lifetime. So, you don't need to worry about 'where to go from there'.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Hello everyone! I am here to learn about Hinduism. I am trying to find a religion that feels right, and I just decided to start with Hinduism. I live in Houston Texas so if there is anyone in that area please PM me. ^^ I am reading Hindu scriptures on the Sacred Texts website but I don't know where to go from there. I guess that's it.

-Bethany
    Vannakkam: Welcome to HDF. There's a nice temple in Pearland, but you probably know that already. Sometimes a visit to a temple can help a person 'decide'. Best wishes on your adventure in seeking.

Aum Namasivaya

Hi Bethany:

I am also new to HDF. I was raised in the Vedanta Temple in Hollywood (California), and have recently come "home" again to Hinduism after some adventures "abroad."

You have a number of choices in your part of Texas. If you Google "Hindu temple, Texas" a list of Hindu temples will come up (some in your area), so you can begin your own journey. My advice would be to visit several different temples if you can, because with each visit you will learn things of great value to you. At some point, you will know and feel where your own Hindu "home" truly is.

When Swami Vivikenanda came to the United States in the late 1800s, he founded the first Vedanta Society temple in New York. (Vedanta is Advaita Hinduism.) He was later instrumental in founding several Vedanta temples in the U.S. (this was a very big deal back then: the first, Western-oriented Hindu temples in the United States), and among these was the Hollywood (California) temple, where I grew up. So one of the temples you might check out (if you're interested in Advaita Hinduism) is the Vedanta Society of Greater Houston. I don't know if this temple is specifically related to the Vendanta Society of Southern California (in other words: I don't know if it is connected to the Ramakrishna Mission part of Hinduism), but what you should find there is a Western-friendly introduction to authentic Hindu spirituality, philosophy, and daily life. Sometimes, a Western-friendly intro can serve as a helpful bridge "in."

Welcome to HDF.

Aakriti

Wlcome Bethany
    Namaste.

Namaste Bethany,

Welcome to HDF, pleased to meet you.
    I sincerely hope that you find what you are looking for. Sanatana dharma tends toward us, so, to let you into a little secret; I have faith that you will.

praNAma

mana

Namaste Bethany,

Welcome to the forums. You'll find plenty to learn more about Hinduism here, don't worry. As Believer says, learning about this path will take most of us an entire lifetime. So might as well enjoy the ride.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Welcome to the forums, Bethany !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Welcome Bethany.

I am sure the learning will keep you interested long. Ofcourse the assimilating and practising part follows.

I am sure you will enjoy.

Houston has a street full of different sects of Hinduism.

Type Durga Bari (Bari means Home & Durga is a Deity or Goddess) in Google and you can visit that street.

Every Sunday they have prayers (puja), so you can visit and enjoy.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the information! Kallol and anyone else who wants to answer: Are Christians allowed to enter a Hindu temple? My brother says we aren't according to what his Hindu friend.

Thread Information