Thread: ASMR & Meditation

ASMR & Meditation

Namaste,

Slightly unorthodox question today.
    If you are not aware of ASMR it is defined as:Autonomous sensory meridian response

I have observed this become more and more popular over the years.

Here is the opener on wiki as to its definition:

''A neologism for a perceptual phenomenon characterized as a distinct, pleasurable tingling sensation in the head, scalp, back, or peripheral regions of the body in response to visual, auditory, olfactory, and/or cognitive stimuli. The nature and classification of the ASMR phenomenon is controversial. Tom Stafford, a professor at the University of Sheffield, says, "It might well be a real thing, but it's inherently difficult to research."

It is usually based on the fact that you build a intimate relationship with the viewer somehow and many people have different triggers : this can be tapping various objects gently, whispering, and much more.

It is to the point where there is a giant community of individuals on YouTube who watch ASMR videos to experience these tingles and sharp sensations from their head all the way down to their back depending on their sensitivity.

I tried this myself when I first discovered and noticed some triggers and videos were so sharp in the pleasurable tingling sensation it was almost numbing; however after a while it stopped working and I had to ''rest'' for a few days before the feeling returned. It was very similar to the feeling I often recieve near the pineal gland when meditating or relaxing in the dark.

I was wondering if meditative knowledge found in Hinduism; or any other wisdom that Hinduism has to offer could shed some light on this phenomenon that western science has no answer for. I figured their may be links since Meditation/Yoga creates such similar effects in various parts of the body.

Hope this post made sense, thanks.

Re: ASMR & Meditation

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    It is to the point where there is a giant community of individuals on YouTube who watch ASMR videos to experience these tingles and sharp sensations from their head all the way down to their back depending on their sensitivity.

Mildly interesting, but tingles and sensations are of the body-mind. The mind just loves this 'feeding' and makes it grow.
    Our ~real development~ comes from being out of this condition of feeding the mind.

....when you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: ASMR & Meditation

Dear IcyCosmic,
    Certain Yogic practices may have some effects like that ... but I am not sure if someone researched on that sufficiently to verify.

More importantly, Vedanta would not give such experiences much credence. Yogic practitioners are often cautioned not to get carried away by experiences ... they are expected to ward off from such experiences.

This is my understanding.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information