Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shiva Linga - Significance?

Re: Shiva Linga - Significance?

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    http://exoticindia.com/article/formsofshiva

Namaste,

ETA - that said, the more metaphysical (rather than physical) symbolism of no beginning, no end, also pertains, IMO
    Namaste ZN,

That is correct. The lingam, in ways more than we can describe points to the play of Supreme with its shakti. But scripture finally says: Shiva is alinga.

He has no master in the world, no ruler, nor is there even a sign of Him by which He can be inferred. He is the cause, the Lord of the lord of the organs; and He is without progenitor or controller.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 20 June 2009 at 02:47 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste Znanna,

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    According to this article, the image/symbolism predates Vedas by considerable years, thus it could be argued that scriptural reference might be irrelevant, as the artifacts are a precursor.
    I think you mean the "Written Vedas" above otherwise how the God was correctly understood without revelation in the Purity of Mind ?

I am not able to say whether what you are saying is right or wrong but I would like to point out here that there is only one Shiva Ling which is shown in the link in the form of Phallus. The date when it was made, who made it & what was the story behind it is not known. So, that single linga cannot really be taken as an authority to believe that Shiva-linga is actually the Phallus of Lord Shiva.

If someone wants to worship Lord Shiva keeping an image & attributes of Phallus in his mind, I have no problem & imo, Lord Shiva also would have no problem in that. After all,

"Jaaki Rahi Bhaavanaa Jaisi, Prabhu Moorat Dekhi Tin Taisi"

====> People see God in the image which suits their belief & thinking.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Opinions differ as to whether Shiva had an Aryan or non-Aryan origin, or whether he was a Vedic god or otherwise, but there is absolute unanimity in regard to the fact that he had iconic presence much before the Vedas came into being. Even V. S. Wakankar, the great champion of Vedic supremacy always defying the Western angle in regard to Aryan influx over Indian subcontinent, does not deny it. He admits that many Vedic beliefs, that is, beliefs which had a Vedic character, had come to prevail amongst masses much before actual Vedas were composed. And, Shaivite cult was one such stream.
    Namaste, devotee,

The point I am trying to make is that linga is rather an iconic representation which pre-dates written scripture, in response to your request:

I have not read any authentic scripture which says that the Shiva Linga is the depiction of phallus & the base is the depiction is the "yoni"/Vagina. I don't know how it started. If anyone knows, he may please make me enlightened on this issue.

"you see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear" - the Rock Man

(Henry Neillson)

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Thread Information