Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: temples of karnataka

temples of karnataka

there r a lot of temples in karnataka,very beautiful and worth watching with a lot history behind it.let us have a look at some of them:

the temple of somnathpur-
    somnathpur is near mysore.this temple is as typical hoysala architecture.the hoysalas were the contemporaries of the chalukyas of badami who ruled south india from river narmada to river cauvery.the hoysalas ruled from the present hassan to the present mysore regions.hoysala architecture is probably the most beautiful in whole karnataka.the well known acharya sri ramanujacharya who fled from tamil nadu came to vishnuvardhana,a notable king of the hoysalas.king vishnuvardhana was a jain initially,but ramanujacharya renamed him as vishnuvardhana.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

Re: temples of karnataka

pic2.jpg
    the temple at somanathpura

the chamundeshwari temple at mysore-
    this temple has got a lot of history to tell.the temple is on a hill which looks like the body of mahishasura,the asura.chamundeshwari is the godess of the town mysore.in fact mysore derived its name from mahishasura.here's pics of the temple and asura:
    untitled.bmp
    the temple
    ff.bmp
    mahishasura

the belur and halebidu-
    this is really the most beautiful of all temples in karnataka.u can notice there is similarity with somnathpur temple.coz built by the same rulers,hoysalas.this is in hassan district,some 3 hrs journey from b'lore by road.belur-halebidu-halebid-halebeedu-hassan.jpg

image-2790-interior-of-channakeshava-temple-belur-and-halebid-india.jpg
    inside the temple.......................

2098059818_f0489b27ea.jpg
    .................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

belur halebidu is simply mesmerising . i have been to khajuraho and konark but i feel craftsmenship of these two temples surpass the others .

besides chamundeshwari is also a nice temple . specially the procession of dussehra .

Wow..... I'm from the Parashurama Kshetra.... There are a lot of temples in Parashurama Kshetras of Karnataka, especially in udupi district. My native is Koteshwara. Koteshwara is the place that I often visit. It is the place I got special powers. It is the place I got more interest in spirituality.

thanks for your posts guys.i have heard a bit abt kajuraho and the sun temple.hope i visit those places in future.
    upsy,why dont you show us some of the temples of your place?

next up,its srirangapatna.this was the capital of the wadiyars,which was then shifted to mysore.to be frank,this place is not grand,probably becoz the place is not well maintained.however it has some history too.the temple of ranganatha here is famous and historic.
    Attachment 532

the fate of india:
    i was wondering why our country with such a huge ancestry of heroes fell prey to the foreign invasions.with no other answer,it just occured to me that evrythin was bound to take place.
    we have read in history abt tipu sultan and his exploits,and usually he is always praised.but how many of us know the real truth?tipu sultan was a typical muslim who converted hindus to muslims on a large scale.the punishments too were severe.but the backbone of tipu sultan was the minister called dewan poorniah.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the minister was loyal to the king.but one day,quite dramatically,a soldier of the tipu army molested poorniah's daughter.and the dewan went to tipu to seek justice.but tipu asked the dewan to let them marry.things turned after this incident.poorniah made a secret pact with the british and tipu in one war lost huge wealth and his son.in the next war,tipu sultan was killed by the british army,thanks to poorniah.in return of the revenue to the british,the rest of the administration was given to poorniah and the young wadiyar was again crowned as the king.
    i read in a news paper some time ago,that some one had pointed that the world should be glad in hands of america,rather than china or russia or the muslims.do u reckon?he he.fate!whats wrong with the indians??

Thread Information