Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polygamy and Hinduism

Re: Polygamy and Hinduism

Quote Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post
    And anyway, the husband should worship the wife. 5 worshippers is better than 1
    Madhuri,

Long time back a wise old sage said that in any argument, woman has the last word and anything said after that is the start of another argument. So, you had the last word and I am not going to start another argument by opening my mouth again.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Madhuri,

Long time back a wise old sage said that in any argument, woman has the last word and anything said after that is the start of another argument. So, you had the last word and I am not going to start another argument by opening my mouth again.

Peace.
    Well, I hope you know that in all of this I have been light-hearted.
    That man was truly wise
    "For a bewildered person in the materialistic way of life, the body, the mind and the senses, which are engaged in sense gratification, are the cause of bondage to repeated birth, death, old age and disease. But for one who is advanced in spiritual knowledge, the same body, senses and mind are the cause of liberation"
    Prabhupada.

Here's an article about polyandry in India (woman having multiple husbands).

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/17/wo..._r=2&ref=world

Hinduism recommends one husband & one wife, I say here "recommends" not "commands" therefore it also means you can have more than one husband or wife, but be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.

Historically in Sri Lanka both polygamy & polyandry have been practiced (well atleast untill the British by law banned both practices)

Please also note that marriage is not for procreation alone, but it is for pleasure also! What Hinduism wants is for you not to become bonded \ slave to a life of pleasure which will entail you to multiple births, more than that is necessary!

Thread Information