Thread: Personal Copies of Scriptures?

Personal Copies of Scriptures?

This is something I've been wondering lately, so I thought, why not start a thread!

So I have multiple copies of the Bible (in different translations). I have the other Mormon scriptures (Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants). I even have a Qur'an.

I'm wondering, do Hindus generally have personal copies of scriptures that you read? Where would you purchase them? I do have a copy of the Bhagavad Gita As It Is (I guess that's the ISKCON translation). What about other scriptures? The Vedas (naturally English translations)? Are there places to buy nice faux leather or other nice, non-mass-produced paperback personal versions of the scriptures in English translation?

Thanks!

Re: Personal Copies of Scriptures?

Namaste.
    I do own physical copies of translations of the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads (the versions translated by Eknath Easwaran.) I do respect Mr. (or Dr. ?) Easwaran and trust his translations and commentary.

I would be interested in any editions of physical copies of the Vedas, Ramayana, Mahabharata, and Puranas. I don't know of any reliable full print translations offhand. All my study of those scriptures was through the online translations here:
    http://www.astrojyoti.com/scripturesindex.htm/
    and from discourses I have heard through radio and Internet streams.

Do let me know if you find any
    "Faith is to believe what you do not see. Faith's reward is to see what you believed." -Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste Mormonguy,

My personal, I have Upanishads which Thai translation version (my native language) and I have for English version one. I've ask for looking for Upanishads for buying online in this thread http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=10443 I hope this link may help you to find more version of Upanishads.

Another scripture like Devi Purana or Bhagavad Gita, I read it on computer. They have many version available for us.

Om Shanti
    Om Sri Saraswatiya Namah

Namaste Mormon Guy

Please also consider the sites which sell books:
    Search for Upanishads by Jayaram V who is a living Pandit of this age who has authored many books including of course such translations and commentary. Also, you might find some interest in books from the Himalayan Academy. Also consider the Ramayana as a fantastic adventure and also a good insight into Hinduism from the perspective of History just as Bhagavad Gita is to philosophy and devotion.

I keep a large collection of books on Hinduism and scriptures, but I approach these from the perspective of a student to a Teacher, if that is not practical for you then again consider a "virtual" teacher as exampled by Jayaram V or as in courses and resources such as offered by the Himalayan Academy and others. Honestly, I do appreciate those published scriptures which are published with the commentaries by authorized experts.

Never, never bound any Hindu scripture in leather. At least from my traditions, the Cow is Mother.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information