Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Returning to Vegetarianism

Question Returning to Vegetarianism

I was vegetarian for about a year in high school and for the first 2/3s of it, I felt amazing... didn't get sick at all, had a lot of energy and just felt good overall. However, when I began introducing soy (mostly fake-meats) into my diet, all of that changed and I started getting sick and just feeling groggy... I was wondering if there was an alternative to soy that I could take and season in order to use as a substitute for the nights when I'm cooking for the omnivorous fam and I'd want to have something to mix the sauce, stir fry or whatever I'm cooking into for the sake of balance.

Re: Returning to Vegetarianism

You can make good meat substitutes for burgers, for example, out of chickpea, I have no idea how, I'm not a good cook. So try some googling or searching for some good vegetarian chefs. It's a lot better than soy burgers.

IMO and experience, SOY SUCKS! It's a very poor quality aliment specially in its textured protein form (that looks like grinded meat). So I removed it from my daily meals.

Hmm... definitely looks interesting. And yea, I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats." Chickpeas actually look good and I think I may have had it before at my old university because this chickpea burger recipe I found looks identical to the "vegetarian burgers" that they sold... and they did always say they weren't soy based =p

Namaste penguin.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin10916 View Post
    ...However, when I began introducing soy (mostly fake-meats) into my diet, all of that changed and I started getting sick and just feeling groggy...
    ...I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats."
    While soy products can be high in sodium, my bet is that the soy was interfering with your production and/or usage of thyroid hormones. It's extensively documented. Slowed thyroid function will cause grogginess, weight gain, a generally crappy feeling, and those are just the mild symptoms.

For some people soy is just plain poison. And if you are on thyroid medication for hypothyroidism, the soy will especially render the medication(s) (there are two commonly used) almost useless. The soy will bind with the replacement hormone. Because I do use soy, my thyroid meds. (I use both of them) are adjusted upwards to compensate.

Believe me, I've learned "a bit" about this in 33 years. Feeling crappy from soy for a short time, then feeling better without it speaks volumes about you not being able to handle it. That's my soy rant for the day.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste Pietro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    You can make good meat substitutes for burgers, for example, out of chickpea, I have no idea how, I'm not a good cook.
    Meh, who needs chickpea burgers when you can take a pocket flat bread, aka pita, and fill it with hummus. The hummus doesn't have to have a lot of oil; a little peanut butter (natural is best, with no sugar added) will substitute for tahini (the sesame seed = of p.b.), but with a slightly different flavor. Add finely chopped olives, any color bell peppers, carrots, undressed coleslaw even. Everyone has imagination (well almost everyone ).

Hmm... I'm out of that stuff right now. Brb, going food shopping...

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste Pietro.

Meh, who needs chickpea burgers when you can take a pocket flat bread, aka pita, and fill it with hummus. The hummus doesn't have to have a lot of oil; a little peanut butter (natural is best, with no sugar added) will substitute for tahini (the sesame seed = of p.b.), but with a slightly different flavor. Add finely chopped olives, any color bell peppers, carrots, undressed coleslaw even. Everyone has imagination (well almost everyone ).

Lol... that sounds a bit revolting on paper, but may actually taste good. XD And yea, I can see the thyroid issue. Either way, I'm just going to avoid soy and focus on other supplements. If anything, cheese will probably be my friend again like it was prior to soy

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste Pietro.

I have no idea what you suggested might look or taste like.

But I like flat bread with hummus.

Hummus with vegetables. There are commercially prepared brands with all kinds of flavors and ingredients.

Hmm... definitely looks interesting. And yea, I actually think it's the high sodium that is found among processed soy products especially "soy meats." Chickpeas actually look good and I think I may have had it before at my old university because this chickpea burger recipe I found looks identical to the "vegetarian burgers" that they sold... and they did always say they weren't soy based =p

You can make a few preparations using chickpea flour.

To make my friend's stepmother's chickpea burgers, she puts in chickpea flour, self-raising flour, oatmeal, shredded vegetable, peanut butter, soy sauce, poultry seasoning, asafoetida, pepper, a little salt, and water. Form into patties, fry, and voila! :P Don't forget to offer them to Sri Bhagavan first.

You can also make veggie burgers from lentils, and even grain (although I've never tried making the latter!)

To make kofta balls (veggie meatballs), mix in grated or shredded vegetable (carrots, beets, cabbage, what have you) with salt, cumin, coriander powder, asafoetida, and pepper (and whatever other spices you want... I add in Italian seasoning!), add in chickpea flour until it is malleable into small balls.

Fry the kofta balls in oil on low-medium or medium heat until the the balls are quite darkened browned (not charred, LOL), and then soak them in tomato sauce. Let them sit from ten minutes to an hour.

Voila! You can have spaghetti and veggie meatballs. Offer, and serve with parmesan.

~*~*~*~*~

In regards to soy, I've never really had problems with it. But then again, I not only have oriental blood, but I also don't overdo the soy products. Your body needs nutrients, vitamins and minerals from all sources of food, and having a variety is super important in maintaining vegetarianism and health.

Good luck!
    Haribol.

Thread Information