Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garlic and onions

Re: Garlic and onions

Vannakkam all:

I eat onion and garlic. Not a ton of it though. (I've seen some Indian people purchasing huge quantities of garlic at the stores. There is even one onion named Madras that is popular) At our temple, a South Indian style one, onion and garlic are both sometimes served at the free lunch, but are not offered as prasad to the deities. The priests also eat onion and garlic. Although I have tried to 'feel' the effects of them, I have never been able to. Perhaps I am not tuned into the bad vibrations they supposedly bring out or am just too insensitive. On the other hand overeating makes me very sluggish, and sugar makes me and a lot of others, children especially,overactive. (Try being a teacher the day after Halloween) Alcohol just makes me stupid. Some here may say stupider.

So as usual the opinions vary. I think the onion use in India may be quite geographically based. Here's a link to a fairly comprehensive article on India's relation to onions.

http://www.littleindia.com/news/131/...008-01-09.html

Aum Namasivaya

here is another interesting website that talks about onion/garlic as it relates to Vaishnavism. Not sure if it has been posted - I scanned briefly - I apologize if I am being redundant.

http://www.salagram.net/Onions-Garli....html#murdered
    "I'm like a pigeon that's spreading its wings,
    to fly away to better things.."
    ~S. Hoon

Quote Originally Posted by grames View Post
    Very funny ( Garlic a day )

I also believe, Garlic was not native to India and also the notion of AyurVeda using Garlic as medicine is very much un-authentic. AyurVeda does not know ( or talked) anything about Garlic ( this is a statement i learnt from one of the Ayurveda practitioner whose family is practicing Ayurveda for generations).

In fact, our diet is not waggly classified as mere Veg and Non-Veg by AyurVeda and it is classified as "SaatVik, Rajasic and Tamasmik". So, it is not sufficient to be happy with just a green dot or red dot in the food box/conatiner and in future i wish, every food will come with a Safforn Dot code as well to denote SaaTVik" food.
    Garlic, perhaps, is native to India. But it may not be. In that case the Greeks brought. First clue is its name tivragandha, sharp smell. It might have got a proper name later on.

Herb Description

Hindi Name:Lehsun Sanskrit Name:Rason, Lashun, Ugragandha Common Name:GarlicLatin Name:Allium Sativum Linn

Medicinal Properties:Lehsun has very old history of folk use in a wide variety of ailments, particularly in ringworm, arthritis, irritation, paralysis, cough, cold and earache. Garlic helps in indigestion, constipation worm infestations, flatulance and in external piles. Lashun helps to reduce glucose metabolism in diabetics, slows down the progress of arteriosclerosis and lowers the risk of further heart attacks in patients with a history of myocardial infarction. Externally, the expressed juice is an excellent antiseptic for treating wounds. Lashun is a Rasayana herb as per Ayurveda.

Effect on Dosha:Pacifies Vata and Kapha

Main Classical Uses:Rason vati, Rason pinda, Lashunadya ghrita, rasona sura

Reference:Dravyaguna Vigyan, By- Prof. Priyavrat Sharma, Chaukhambha Bharti Academy, Varanasi. INDIA.

Onion, though a late entrant, was later adopted in Ayurveda too.

Hindi Name:Pyaj
    Sanskrit Name:Palandu
    Common Name:Onion Bulb
    Latin Name:Allium Cepa Linn
    Medicinal Properties:Bulb is used as a spice and condiment not only in Indian culture but world over since ancient times. Palandu has many medicinal properties. In experimental studies it was observed that use of Onion reduces blood sugar levels in cases of diabetes and also it was observed that Onion inhibits platelet aggregation and also helps to control Hyperlipidaemia (higher lipid content in the blood). In Ayurveda paste prepared from crushed Onions is indicated to help in abscess, acne and scars, heals and minimizes the scars formation in burn injury. In Ayurveda it is described as an appetizer, carminative, liver stimulant, blood coagulant, expectorant, anti inflammatory aphrodisiac, menstrual regulator and cardiac tonic. Administration of Swaras (juice) of Palandu helps in earache, weak vision sciatica, arthritis, oligospermia and in Vata roga effectively

Effect on Dosha:Pacifies Vata and aggravates Kapha and Pitta.
    Main Classical Uses:Beej churan, Swaras (Juice).
    Reference ravyaguna Vigyan, By- Prof. Priyavrat Sharma, Chaukhambha Bharti Academy, Varanasi. INDIA.

On many initations cards it is mentioned: Jain Menu. It excludes galic, onion, red things like tomatoes, all items growing underground its.
    Last edited by rcscwc; 08 September 2010 at 08:33 AM.

namaste.

In RamaNAshramam, TiruvaNNAmalai, TamilnADu, onion mixed with thick buttermilk (as raita) is served on many days if not daily, during the morning feel offered free around 11 a.m. to devotees present. The buttermilk served here is excellent too.

• In South India, we use two types of onions. The bigger one used to be known as Bellary onion and the smaller is usually known as sAmbAr onion. We periodically prepare sAmbAr using the smaller ones, which taste delicious when seasoned with powdered coriander seeds, tamarind and chili powder. The bigger variety is used in the preparation of the spicy potato curry using boiled and peeled potato cut in large pieces. These two dishes are served in the meal at the Concerns Hotel, Matunga, Bombay (I think even today), on Thursdays, and is popular with the South Indian residents of and visitors to the area.

• We use garlic on two occasions. Peeled garlic cloves boiled in Rasam are used periodically, say once in a month, to balance the pitta-vAyu-kapha humours in the body, that Ayurveda speaks of. And then when a person is affected by frozen phlem that is not easily expectorated in cough, he/she takes at bedtime three or four cloves of garlic boiled in milk, which often proves to be effective.

"brAhmaNAH bhojana priya"--"brahmins are fond of food", so the saying goes, which is proved by the pot-belly sported by many South Indian brahmins!
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information