Thread: GREEN GODDESS?

GREEN GODDESS?

Namaste,

Devi Parvati is also known as Gauri or the fair/bright goddess.I have seen in many pictures and Gopuram sculptures that she is painted green.Why is she depicted in green color when she is supposed to be shown in Gaura Varna?

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Re: GREEN GODDESS?

Namaste!

The Goddess is known for her many manifestations, and some of them have golden, white, red, dark, or green skin.

Examples of green skinned goddesses are Matangi Devi and Meenakshi Devi.

Maybe these pictures and murtis were made by people where the worship of the Goddess Parvati in her green manifestations were the most popular.

Green color is also associated with knowledge and is the color of planet Mercury (Budha) in astrology.

A similar phenomenon occurs with Lord Rama. He is depicted in some places in India and outside India with green skin instead of blue.

Namaste

There are manifestations of Parvati as Green complexion. There are emanations of Devi, sometimes of localized or regional appearances or part of temple history, as Green complexioned. There are Divine Consorts Who are "born" with Green Complexion.

I am a devotee of Devi inclusuve of some of These.

There are also, due to the above, artistic application of the color green as complexion, or a green halo, used to represent Divinity but may only be artistic expression. This also exists.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

I mentioned both Manifestation or Emanation, and artistic expression examples.

Let me expand upon artistic expression as an example.

Let us say Devi appeared before a pure devotee in a village, and also Her presence was confirmed by priests and pundits. She appears as Green complexion in this case, and many have also had mystic communion in which She is green in their vision.

Over time Her temple in this village expands, and locals come in numbers. Her Murti is of black stone, but the priests confirm She is depicted in color as green. The priests also had the Divine revelation since She first manifested that She is Parvati.

A rich patron of the temple gets approval to commission a new gate for the temple. On the gate will be statues of Shiva and Parvati from one of Their historical events, let us say from a Purana.

Now let us say, we know that Parvati was described as White in this Purana. The priests of this Devi temple instruct the artisan hired to construct the Shiva-Parvati image for the gate as having green complexion....

Why?

Because this temple is of the Devi Whom is Green. Yes, the scene is from an event where Parvati is known as White. But the priests have had the revelation that the Devi of this temple, Who is Green, is also Parvati.

So this is the way this temple is saying to those who have darshan at the temple, "This is the temple of our Devi! Come! And see, our Devi and Parvati are the Same!" ....

It is an artistic expression. Personally, I see nothing wrong in this expression. We see the local Devi, Who is in fact a manifestation of Parvati, sitting next to Shiva! Yes, we know Parvati was White in the event shown, but now we are in the Realm of The Devi of the Temple, so now I see this same Devi next to Shiva and I now understand this Devi is Parvati!

It is wonderful! I have quickly understood the Temple history! It may perhaps be an artistic expression, but perfectly appropriate.

Om Namah Sivaya

Hi

Probably you know this info.

It is said that Parvati is born as Madurai Meenakshi.It is said that Matangi( one of Mahavidyas) is green in colour and she took avatar as Madurai Meenakshi.Infact she is considered as minister of Lalita Tripurasundari in Sri Vidya tradition.

Actually, Parvati is "black" in complexion, as far as I have heard. Gauri was Sachi, who jumped into the pit of fire and committed suicide as a result of insult done to her and her husband. Correct me if I am wrong.

Hi

One way you are right.But it was Sati who took various forms as Mahavidyas during Daksha Yagna.She is Kali(black colour),Tara(blue), Lalita Tripura Sundari(red),Matangi(green)...etc etc

Namaste

He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Thread Information