Thread: Kuladevata

Hybrid View

Kuladevata

Can anyone describe me the actual term and definition of a Kuladevata? Would it literally by something holy or a deity that is only withheld in a family or village only? The closest thing to holy in my family is all of our swords which incase you dont know it is said a warrior is to hold his power and soul within his sword so these objects are always passed down. But thats about it if the definition of a Kuladevata is a sacred or holy item or being which would only be the original land of my family or the family swords and thats it.
    Thanks for your help ^-^
    [CENTER] "Although the effulgence of the moon is brilliant initially at night, in the daytime it fades away. Similarly, although the lotus is beautiful during the daytime, at night it closes. But, O My friend, the face of My most dear Srimati Radharani is always bright and beautiful, both day and night. Therefore, to what can Her face be compared?" Vidagdha Madhava 5:20

Re: Kuladevata

Quote Originally Posted by cuddledkitty View Post
    Can anyone describe me the actual term and definition of a Kuladevata? Would it literally by something holy or a deity that is only withheld in a family or village only? The closest thing to holy in my family is all of our swords which incase you dont know it is said a warrior is to hold his power and soul within his sword so these objects are always passed down. But thats about it if the definition of a Kuladevata is a sacred or holy item or being which would only be the original land of my family or the family swords and thats it.
    Thanks for your help ^-^
    You got the term right.

Usually, in olden days, entire families used to stay [born, live and die] within a single village. The village used to have a presiding deity, sometimes more. One of these deities usually ended up becoming the family deity also [I think].

My own kuladaivata is Kalabhairavar - a form of Shiva.

Here is Kalabhairavashtakam.

Namaste CK,

Kuldevata is made of two words, Kula + Devata i.e. Deity of the clan. Normally some ancient saint or some Deva which was worshipped by our ancestry. Kuldevata is supposed to take care of the well being of the clan.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    You got the term right.

Usually, in olden days, entire families used to stay [born, live and die] within a single village. The village used to have a presiding deity, sometimes more. One of these deities usually ended up becoming the family deity also [I think].

My own kuladaivata is Kalabhairavar - a form of Shiva.

Here is Kalabhairavashtakam.
    Namaste thanks for your insight, i would have replied sooner but i was to busy watching avatar. But is a Kuladevata a item also as some say?
    [CENTER] "Although the effulgence of the moon is brilliant initially at night, in the daytime it fades away. Similarly, although the lotus is beautiful during the daytime, at night it closes. But, O My friend, the face of My most dear Srimati Radharani is always bright and beautiful, both day and night. Therefore, to what can Her face be compared?" Vidagdha Madhava 5:20

Thread Information