Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life after death?

Re: Life after death?

As it is not possible to experince it, it can be only inferred. For the right inferrence, we need to know more about the phenomenon called death. What happens to the different levels of existences - Gross, Subtle and Consciousness. Once we are knowledgeable on this, the rest becomes easy.

We need to only extrapolate that level of existence which stays beyond death.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Namaste.

Time to give my thoughts on this (after wanting to reply to a similar topic in the Jyotish forum...but what I have to say has nothing to do with Jyotish).

For many years throughout my spiritual life, I have always held the rather dim view of; 'After 'I' die, I'll just go back to the same place "I" was before "I" was born" - in that wherever there was, "I" wouldn't remember it anyway.

Surely there must be more to life than this....wondering what comes after it.

What part of 'Me' is going to be left when the Prana leaves 'my' body? Yeah, what type of memory does the surviving Koshas all have that wrap up the Soul before it passes on to whatever thing this Soul is going to pass on to?

Is it just intellectual arrogance to assume than any part of who I am somehow survives after death? After this life? After I am even done typing these words?

All I know is that "I won't be in Kansas anymore, Toto".

Maybe this is why we have all that Yoga training...so that when deathtime comes, and we all have to face the "I" am "Brahman" bit, we can say "yeah, already been there, done that, so what's next?"

This is why I pray to Lord Shiva and there's an 'agreement' that when the time comes, He'll be there holding my 'hand' and helping me across that bridge. I do hope the last words I utter shall be in praise of Him (if it happens that way).

They say that your final thoughts and words influence what happens after death and to your Soul and all.

I want to die looking at a picture of Lord Shiva or Mother Kali (or both)...or just gazing out across the ocean...

I'm not afraid to die anymore. I used to be terrified of it...get bloody panic attacks all the time...

Then, I felt it's like childbirth (which I have experienced twice). It will only hurt if you fight it...if you fight against the natural process - which it ultimately is. I feel death can be quite a beautiful experience with a heart full of love and acceptance.

What happens after that? I leave entirely in the hands of my Lord (my life is not 'mine' after that - as if it were before that anyway). lol

"I" (or what remains of it) can either merge with Shiva (if it hasn't already done so), or it can be with Shiva in Kailash somewhere, just staying there until it's time for me to take rebirth as a higher/lower lifeform, or the Lord may want me to take rebirth straight away, as a human, a dog, an angel...whatever happens according to my Karma.

I just hope my love will be enough when that time comes and that Shiva will take my hand, and I shall fly with Him, not fall into the pit of 'nowhere I wouldn't know where it was anyway'.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Dear All

I recently read a book called "Journey of Souls" by Dr. Michael Newton. It gave most of the details/answers for after life and what is the purpose of this current life on earth. Excellent book. I suggest everyone to read. And the content is in line with most of Sanatana Dharma scriptures.

Most of the discussions held in forums has answers in this book which a research based on past life regression session on people who revealed their super conscious memories of their life after death. There is nothing fake in this book.
    It is amazing. You feel greatly relieved and increase your love towards GOD and understand your goal of life.

Namaste,

An old, dead thread being revived so many times should be enough proof that the concept of reincarnation is real and that another life is awaiting you after death.

I am not quite sure why some people have this never ending infatuation with finding out what happens after death, and that too looking for a scientific proof for it. Why not live the best life that you can, instead of wasting time on seeking scientific proof for everything? What will you do once you have the proof about life after death - commit suicide and verify for yourself that all you have found is really true? The idle, uncommitted, spiritually unhinged minds spend most of their lives on peripheral issues of life, without ever enjoying any moments in spiritual bliss. Is that what you desire to do? If not, get on with the business of life, which is to make yourself happy through Bhakti yoga.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 22 November 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Consciousness is omnipresent, but the brain isn't. The brain dies the body shuts off and consciousness remains the same, constantly intellects arise and dissolve in the nature of consciousness...

However there is an reincarnation phenomena, the brainwaves are emitted by a living brain, when the brain dies the memories have no were to go, until a similar brain is produced that can fit these memories, thus createing the allusion that a mind has experienced many lifetimes ...but in truth they are just some dead guys memories

At the risk of giving Believer more fodder by "resurrecting" this thread - I think the issue of 'Life after death' is very much a consequence of frivolous language. Let me explain.

Death as we know it, i.e. brain death, ergo death of the human being, is the end of life. If what you have now is life, and I would posit that it is, then at the time that you breathe your last breath, and your heart stops and the brain no longer receives oxygen and dies, then at that point this life is over.

Now there are many semantic arrangements that romanticise concepts, such as life after death, or the colour of jealousy, or weight of the world, or the oft heard question - who made us? A lot of such phrases while grammatically accurate are meaningless. If the word "life" is to mean anything, then the word "death" denotes the end of that life. Similarly just because you ask "who made us?" doesn't mean that everyone will miss the assumptions that you've made, i.e. 1) that we're made, and 2) that SOMEONE made us. The question isn't valid and neither is the phrase life after death.

If anyone is postulating that they know or believe that there is another kind of "life" after "death", which can't really be life as we know it since it's just been ended, then they need to provide some evidence of it, or else it's meaningless and irrelevant babble.

Of course some schools of hinduism do talk about the idea of reincarnation and the rest of it - but again, it boils down to which myth you believe as opposed to which idea is supported by evidence. Tales of little boys reciting sanskrit shloks (not a feat for us Indians considering that our entire education demands that we try our hardest to devolve into parrots), or little kids remembering details about a past life they never had (a trick that is easy to perform with the use of a couple of bullying parents, a Bata chappal, and a script), are not evidence of anything apart from the fact that some of us are so gullible that we shouldn't be allowed to wear socks.

For a long time people thought that the power to communicate lived in a realm above that of the physical brain - a flawed concept that was easily disproved when people came across stroke victims who could no longer talk or understand language after a stroke, or those who couldn't remember their own parents or children and couldn't recognise them after trauma to the brain.

Bottom line - this life is all there is. No one knows exactly what happens after death but we do know this much. Your brain, which happens to house the construct of reality that we've come to know as consciousness; dies. And so do all your memories, your language skills, your identity as a human being.

It's an uncomfortable idea to think that once you die, you're dust. And all that remains of you is the memories that others have of you, which too will pass into obscurity in two to three generations' time. But it's your decision to be sad about that and make up fairy tales to believe in, or be mature and realise that this is what makes life beautiful - the spark that it has is that much more numinous because it is short lived, and the challenge is to make sure that you do and love as much as you can in this life. Come on all, let's grow up. :-)

Dear Maxpsycho,

You sound very certain. Can you explain neuro epigentic's to me please?
    Then a full description and explanation of delta t.
    Oh ... and the obvious importance of quantum electrodynamics in neurology.

Then I may consider your opinion to be well founded ...

A question worthy of your consideration might be; what is this life and why?

Kind regards
    Last edited by Mana; 04 March 2014 at 02:34 PM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by maxpsycho View Post
    It's an uncomfortable idea to think that once you die, you're dust.
    the question is 'who are you' ? If you think you are the body-mind then let me ask you this. Every night you go to sleep. Upon awakening you may say 'I slept well' but have no experience of this sleep, no body consciousness. Where did 'you' go? Yet the next day you are the same person. It is that continuity from day-to-day that is 'you'. If you find that continuity you have found your SELF. It does not depend on your mind or your body to continue.

One last point... if you could be so kind as to begin your posts with some salutation, some hello or namasté , or 'greetings' or some thing that welcomes the reader we would appreciate it. It is our custom here at HDF and we ask you to participate with our simple custom.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear Mana,

Having been brought up for a large proportion of my life in the UK, I'm certainly not unknowing of sarcasm and neither am I in need of it, from others.

I'm not entirely certain whether you are asking these questions because you don't know what these concepts are, or whether you are convinced that only knowledge of, Freeman Dyson's work or the idea that patterns of responses to environmental stimulus can be inherited, makes an opinion well founded. I must admit ignorance about the context of your reference to delta t - do you mean in the field of cellular microbiology or thermodynamics?

Your patronising tone aside, in response to your question, which I am glad you think worthy of my consideration - what is this life and why? It's a great example of the point I made in my earlier post, i.e. grammatical accuracy does not mean a sentence is meaningful. Asking "why" presumes that there is a cause - a theory that forms the basis of your question and has not yet been proven to be true. It would be like me asking "Why is the sun made of cheese?" without proving that the sun is indeed made of cheese. You can't presume that there is a cause and then proceed to asking what that cause is (and this of course ties in quite neatly with the refutation for the Kalam cosmological argument of which, I'm presuming, you're aware).

What is this life? Well, how long is a piece of string? But let's assume for a moment, you don't mean that question in the spiritual, metaphysical tone that you've asked it. Biologically speaking, life is what secernates us, and our animal and plant relatives from inorganic matter. It includes the capacity to reproduce, to grow and evolve, and to love, before we die. Further than that - it's what you define it as - how you live it, who you interact with; that's the basis for the memories you collect.

Sincerely,

Mayank

Dear Maxpsycho,

I am very intuitive; I feel that to continue this conversation with you may be rather like trying to explain either: Phi; or the Sun, to a sunflower ...

No offense intended, it is the nature of your initial post that has created this response in me. Where exactly do you think the electrons in the bonds of your dna exist, I mean the particle and the wave function; with out forgetting the obvious importance of E=mc� and relativity in all this?
    If our memory is stored in this way, upon neuron cells in the brain, then surely you can see the paradoxical nature of your statement regarding the physical situation of thought, as an object residing physically in the brain?
    This seems to me to be akin to assuming that a black hole is physically entity inside of the universe.

Interesting that you mention the fabric of the Sun and cheese, Cecilia Payne the Lady who first proposed the Sun to consist of Hydogen and Helium, was largely ignored by the scientific "flock", for quite some time as is usually the case with any consequent discoveries; ignorance, unfortunately for the majority, tends to rule the roost in any human congregation.

Now, returning to neuro epigenetics, If I am acting on behalf of my genes and all life events both my own and those of my forefathers, effect the fabric, the genetic balance of who I am; as neuro epigenetics, Richard Dawkins and Astrology would suggest; where then is free will, and who or what is "I"?

The question "what is life?" Is quite simply the question that I believe that you should address, before attempting to grapple with the notion of life after death. No spiritual or metaphysical ideal here, simply a natural order in understanding so as to be able to understand a highly complex concept. In much the same way that one should first grasp particle physics, before chemistry; in order to fully understand the nature of the axioms of the mathematical model.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 05 March 2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information