Thread: Dharma - a practical view

Dharma - a practical view

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Namaste,
    This post is about stewardship and how it can be seen from a practical and spiritual ( adhyatma) point of view. Let's perhaps start with the foundation of dharma.
    We have talked about dharma on some past posts: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32&postcount=4 ( this post has an excellent definition).

We also know the word dharma has been extended to include duty. Some extend it to encompass religiosity. Here are a few ways Dharma has been viewed via the shastra's:
    • Varna asrama dharma - ones specific dharm/duty for various stages of life, bramachara, householder, sanyas, etc.
    • Sanatana dharma - the eternal dharm of upholding creation
    • Apad dharma - dharm prescribed at time of adversity
    • Yuga dharma - the dharm fundamental to the 4 yugas, (sat, treta, dvapa, kali)
    • Sadharana dharma - general obligations of the social individual to uphold within society
    There is also the notion that dharma is a specific quality ( visesa-guna) that belongs to the SELF. Others on HDF have also talked of dharma as the Dharma chakra pravartana of the wheel of law.

Yet if we look at this from a stage of duty, there is a simple, yet elegant way to consider this dharma as one's stewardship. What do I mean by stewardship ? It's a sense of personal responsibility for taking care of something. It's a common sense view that humans are responsible for the world. It's based the practical view that the world is an extension of ones-self.

When one takes care of one's own body, it’s the notion that I am the SELF (atman) and I will take care of the body that provides its goods and services to me (eyes to see with, ears to hear, locomotion of legs, arms to reach, etc. etc.) . It's ones personal stewardship to care for the body w/o over indulging and then feeding the ego too too much.

It is of great interest to me that this stewardship is connected to the SELF and the SELF is connected to, and is, part and parcel, Brahman - thus the great saying sarvam khalvidam brahma- all this is indeed Brahman.

My point is this, even before one becomes absorbed in and realizes THAT (all this is Brahman), one can practice the care of the universe one lives in. As you care for this environment, you are caring for HIM. One must ask, how am I treating the world? I ask myself this often - am I taking what I need, am I helping out?

Taking what I Need
    For me, it’s the understanding that the universe is vast and an unending supply of energy exists, yet that does not mean one should exploit these resources. Using the resources wisely that is key. Having a car for transportation and not for show, living within one's means. Buying what one needs vs. buying on impulse. Why so? As one increases in wealth , more things are purchased. Yet are they needed? This is an important decision lately with the amount of carbon, exhaust, trash, etc. we are putting back into the environment. It is not ours to exhaust and I need to be mindful on a regular basis. This is balance in life, this is yoga.

Do we need an SUV? A boat, a BMW ( usually all 3 at the same time). Are we buying more to feel the Fullness ( Bhuma) ? Yet to know in advance finite things do not yield happiness (kam). This is why the pursuit of the SELF is of key import - this fullness is found in Infinity (Kham or akaska) of the SELF and the collection of more things, even though they too are Brahman, one must consider capturing the SELF. Should not success be redefined as not the collection of things but asking what one wants to become ?

Helping out
    Sharing ones wealth. donating, helping others. How much is enough I do not know, yet the spirit of giving is a virtue. As all 'this' is not ours to begin with, and hording vs. helping does not feel right to me.
    Just being a good neighbor - It said when a stranger comes to ones home, he must be treated with respect and with offerings. What more of a neighbor?
    Helping out is also sadhana - that is, what we do on this forum. It's stewardship , its dharma you are performing, because you are sharing the wealth of knowledge and understanding you possess. That is why its important to be mindful on how we (me) address and handle the posts and messaging here, with care and concern vs. conflagration (destructive fire).

If you wish to share some of your stewardship-dharma, it would be great to hear.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 21 May 2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typing error
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information