Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meditation Dificulties

Re: Meditation Dificulties

Reflecting on it, I only chanted OM, that first time with my friend, and it was that occasion that led me to this forum, to seek the knowledge I need. My meditation since has been silent.

I'm unsure if you have opinion to argue this: but online there is a guru "osho" I watched a lot of his speeches on mediation, he was saying posture didn't matter as long as you felt comfortable and like you weren't going to fall asleep.
    I must admit, sitting cross-legged is a real strain on my back: I'm just not flexible lmao!

I would like to have a spiritual guide. but often feel like my path is to discover it on my own. maybe I already know. for someone without a religious background I'd consider myself quite knowledgeable in most things around me, things that require insight.
    I must admit though, having Ganesha around me keeps my heart at peace, and thats a feeling i have missed. for the first time, I'm starting to feel like I do have a soul. something beyond the brain itself.

The hardest part of meditating for me, is dropping expectation, how am i to discover, if i don't ask questions? it just feels like when I try to let my mind go blank, it's at that point that every issue and personal problem in my life comes flooding through my mind like an unsolved jigsaw and I cant focus.

Am i just to reflect on the thought of Ganesha himself? I feel my questions can only be answered by the divine. and I'm still borderline ignorant to their, or my own purpose.
    We're the same, You and I.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Ashcooper View Post
    I'm unsure if you have opinion to argue this: but online there is a guru "osho" I watched a lot of his speeches on mediation, he was saying posture didn't matter as long as you felt comfortable and like you weren't going to fall asleep.
    I must admit, sitting cross-legged is a real strain on my back: I'm just not flexible lmao!
    I have not read Osho and many people believing in Traditional approach do not believe in Osho, specially his approach towards handling sensuality.

Anyways, according to Patanjali Yoga Sutra, same thing is said as said by Osho, or rather Osho quoted from Patanjati Yog Sutra-s.

Yogic processes like rising of kundalini, pranayama (breath control and manipulation), sitting in certain posters for physical well being (asana-s) may require one to sit in a particular poster.

But for chanting name of God, such strict adherence to a particular poster is not necessary.

Hence, posture didn't matter as long as you felt comfortable and like you weren't going to fall asleep.

If you are not comfortable sitting crossed leg, then leave that posture. Sit in whatever posture you are comfortable.

You may try to sit in siddhasana (search for google image). It has broader base. Else, to begin with, sit on edge of chair.

I would like to have a spiritual guide. but often feel like my path is to discover it on my own. maybe I already know. for someone without a religious background I'd consider myself quite knowledgeable in most things around me, things that require insight.
    It is difficult to gauge our own progress. Hence the necessity of a Guru. Keep praying to God to Show you correct path. Leave the rest to God. At a proper time, you may meet your Guru or someone who will take you a step further in your spiritual journey.

I must admit though, having Ganesha around me keeps my heart at peace, and thats a feeling i have missed. for the first time, I'm starting to feel like I do have a soul. something beyond the brain itself.

This is a good sign. According to Hindu dharma, we have 5 bodies called kosha-s,

पञ्च कोश (five sheaths) :

अन्नमय कोश (physical body, anatomical structure),
    प्राणमय कोश (physiological body, energy body, aura) ,
    मनोमय कोश (mental sheath),
    विज्ञानमय कोश (intellectual sheath),
    आनन्दमय कोश (bliss sheath).

The hardest part of meditating for me, is dropping expectation, how am i to discover, if i don't ask questions?
    Please learn to drop exceptation. Withut this one cannot meditate, as you are biased with what you want. Have faith that God knows what is best for you.

This should be reflected in your daily life too. Expectations of results of your actions is not good, says Lord Krishna in bhagavad Gita. If you develop this attitude, you will be mentally free, will have good night sleep and worries will fade away.

Accepting situation and person with +ve and negative qualities 'As It Is' will make things much easier.

I personally feel that without these qualities and dropping expectations, meditation or Japa is not possible.

it just feels like when I try to let my mind go blank, it's at that point that every issue and personal problem in my life comes flooding through my mind like an unsolved jigsaw and I cant focus.
    This is a common experience of all those who meditate. As one chants name of God, mind calms. The process of meditation is such that all thoughts which you have accumulated in mind are to be brought out. Hence God brings out thoughts. They are leaving and not coming. Just let me go

If this is difficult, please try to do action (karma) without expectation. Not all can meditate.

Am i just to reflect on the thought of Ganesha himself? I feel my questions can only be answered by the divine. and I'm still borderline ignorant to their, or my own purpose.
    Since keeping mind one one object for long time is extremely difficult, hence great men has asked us to think of their glory, listen to hymms dedicated to them. Read spiritual material. This keeps worldly thoughts away.

The idea is to keep mind occupied with spiritual thoughts and neglect worldly thoughts. Think and act to which is necessary. Spend free time in spiritual studies.

You must read some purana-s like Ganesh Purana and hymms dedicated to Ganesha.

Mind should know the importance of God what you are chanting. This is easily done by reading spiritual matter that is connected with deity of worship.

Later on you may find is easy to meditate.

Out of 24 hours. How much time you dedicate to God? Not even 1 hour on an average?

Then what kind of thoughts run on your mind - worldly or spiritual?

Then will your mind be accustomed to think on God or think on worldly matters?

No when you sit in meditation, you try to focus on God, on thought which you give very little time and devotion. How can you expect that your mind will not try to think on worldly matters, specially those matters which you gave importance?

Ask these questions yourself. Dedicate more and more time to spiritual matters. Stay tuned with nature, with plants, trees, garden.

Practice tithing, donation. This will make you big hearted. This helps one to cultivate the habit of let-go.

Peaceful mind is necessary to do meditation or japa successfully. Else if you try to force yourself to focus, you may end up getting more agitated, frustrated, violent and may get shamelessly angry at someone without anyone's fault.

This is indeed a slow process, as it takes time for mind to adopt to new psychology, a new way of life. You cannot just decide one day that I am going to meditate and things everything will go right.

You know your outward habit, but may not know your inward habit, your nature of mind, and how will it react when you sit in meditation. You have to consult to those who are meditating regularly and have achieved success in a sense that they can easily sit for long hours, which of course comes with practice.

Puja or deity worship, idol worship is also useful.

Reading 1008 names of Ganesha is easier than meditating on one mantra.

Prayer:

Do not consider Prayer as trivial. It is the strongest sentiment in spirituality. Start your meditation with prayer, pray to God to teach you how to meditate. When the force of prayer will be very strong and prayer will come from heart, surrender to God is strong and so is dependence solely on him, acceptance that you cannot do anything on yourself, then prayer will surely be materialized quickly. God will definitely teach you how to meditate or guide you in one way or other through someone by making he/she as his instrument. All happens at at proper time, according to the wish of God.

To sum up,

Increase your time for spirituality.
    Have faith in God.
    Keep praying daily to show you correct path
    Always have a feeling, Ganesha is there i.e. Ganesha is always present besides me. (Ganesha always accompanying me).

Aum

Amrut
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thank you, that was a long read but made more sense to me than anything else.

I realize now I haven't actually prayed at all since I was 12. I lost all faith at 12 when I lost my sister. and there has been a mental block there.
    The time when i had my revelation this year, it felt like god was speaking to me, yet i didn't say anything still. and i have thought about it a lot more since. but haven't prayed.
    I barley even know what prayer is. I know that sounds naive. but I can hardly say "hi god how are you?"
    I guess i feel like. like god knows what i think anyway. and i am a part of this godliness. i can't explain what prevents me from praying though: maybe I could express this through my music and lyrics instead? as that is what comes most natural to me.

Thank you again though, that really was insightful.

Thank you, that was a long read but made more sense to me than anything else.

I realize now I haven't actually prayed at all since I was 12. I lost all faith at 12 when I lost my sister. and there has been a mental block there.
    The time when i had my revelation this year, it felt like god was speaking to me, yet i didn't say anything still. and i have thought about it a lot more since. but haven't prayed.
    I barley even know what prayer is. I know that sounds naive. but I can hardly say "hi god how are you?"
    I guess i feel like. like god knows what i think anyway. and i am a part of this godliness. i can't explain what prevents me from praying though: maybe I could express this through my music and lyrics instead? as that is what comes most natural to me.

Thank you again though, that really was insightful.
    Namaste,

Sorry to hear about your sister's demise.
    Theory of rebirth and karma will help you understand why things happen that you think should not and are not prepared for it.

All it connected to our actions and deeds in this and in many past lives.

According to this theory, God only gives you the fruits. What you do and how your perceive is entirely upon you. One has to be optimistic ans one cannot live in past.

Prayer is simply communication with God. there are no specific words. It should come from heart.

Any problems, be it of material or spiritual nature, just ask God, like you ask your family members or someone whom you respect. It is just that instead of them facing you, imagine Ganesha in front of you. Simply pray or ask. The only difference in asking and praying is that former can be casual approach.

If you are stuck up with life and decide to rise above it and live the past behind, you can simply pray to God

'Oh God, take away all the negative emotions and energies within me. I am not able to throw off these thoughts. Kindly take them away.

Oh God, fill me with positive vibrations, positive energy, induce thy faith in me. Remove all obstacles in my life.'

If you are facing a specific problem, pray to God to give you solution. Keep praying daily. When proper time comes everything will be unfolded. Have ths faith.

Have Faith that God never does any harm to any one. It is our deeds in this and past life that actually makes us suffer us in this life. Everyone has free will, but there is also something called as pre-determined destiny. Hence not all happen according to our plans and expectations. We have to pass through certain phase whether we like it or not.

It depends upon us whether we accept this adverse with smile or with tears. Resistance = stress, acceptance = relief.

What we think and how we perceive things or situation depends upon us. It is what makes us, our character. It is what decides our immediate actions or reactions and hence our destiny depends upon how we react or adapt to any situation. So it is said that our destiny is in our own hands. How we shape it, how we adapt and accept bitter truth, facts of life and how steady can we remain while passing through different phases of life.

This is what spirituality teaches us. How to live, what attitude must we have, how to act, acceptance, etc. Men of lofty characters are great source of our inspiration. Like Jesus or Adi Shankara or Ramanuja, Buddha They were all men of lofty character. Their life is an inspiration to us. Hence they managed to attract large crowds.

Likewise, life and character of God and demi-gods help us generate respect for them. This life is portrayed in various purANA-s (puranas), which glorify their deeds, their ability and their godhood.

Try to read Ganesh Purana. then listen to hymms dedicated to him.

Music is an excellent way to communicate with God. In olden days, everything was sung, Bhagavad Gita was sung and not written by Bhagavan.

Gita / Geeta = geet = song.

Aum

Amrut

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

Just reading that made me feel a little better. I tried finding an audio version of the text but to no avail, I did hear a few songs though, I think I will start with those. .

Just reading that made me feel a little better. I tried finding an audio version of the text but to no avail, I did hear a few songs though, I think I will start with those. .
    The good thing is 'To Begin'

Dear Ashcooper ,

you may not like what I say here ... but the matter or fact is Meditation is not about an altered state of mind.

People often look at meditation as altering the states of mind ... if that is so, don't you think self hypnosis can work better ?

Suppose i invent a machine which you can fix over your head and then it sends signals to specific neurons to create any kind of image you want to see ... you just have to feed in "Rama" and it shows Rama. Feed in Jesus and it shows jesus ... instead of a computer screen ... it shows in your mental screen ... just imagine that such an instrument is constructed.

would i be successful in converting everyone into master meditators ?! Please ponder.

meditation is not about altering states of mind.

Love!
    Silence

Namaste Aschooper

We we're chanting om one moment, then the next we were in the cosmos, in pure bliss, there was a big Ganesha in the sky only it was like 5dimensions, around me, within me, and also a part of me, it was at that moment me and my friend realized that everything is part of one. and for me, that's what om symbolizes.
    Haribol. Shri Ganeshaya namah. Ganesh is communicating with you. You now have a personal relationship with Ganesh. Don't downplay or ignore as the general advise you will find all over. Acknowledge and cherish this Divine auspicious relationship and let Him lead you. There is no rush to get into the nirAkAra.

(The same thing happened to me many years ago. I was half-chanting the mahamantra (Hare Rama ... Hare KRshNa...) because I liked it very much, but did not even know it is the mahamantra. Suddenly I was in a desert (now, reflecting, it was sort of in the Western India - miles and oceans away from where I was physically - and I am quite certain it was the Thar desert of Rajasthan.) And it was bright daylight - like 12 noon - where the soul was , while it was 12 midnight where the body was. Suddenly, Shri RAma and Shri KRshNa (DwArakAdheesh) came walking upto me. It was just me They and miles of sand. They wore jewellery crowns and garland.
    They looked at each other, smiled, nodded. Ram left, and KRshNa pulled me out of that place into a another place and another - we traveled thru' falling leaves, snowy cliff...
    He is always with me ever since. Shri KRshNa is my real guru.

So, I've been trying to lucid dream every day after work instead... is this the same thing?
    Just talk to Him! He is all yours now. Whether He wants to appear is upto Him. We do not keep expectations. This is pure devotion. By the way those are not elephants in the sky, its Ganesh, you know that.

This is it. Ganesh IS your divine guide. But we must not be demanding, no expectations, just surrender and devotion.

The hardest part of meditating for me, is dropping expectation,
    See the above.
    how am i to discover, if i don't ask questions?
    Right. So ask dear Ganesh, not the forum.

it just feels like when I try to let my mind go blank, it's at that point that every issue and personal problem in my life comes flooding through my mind like an unsolved jigsaw and I cant focus.
    This experience itself is your teacher. The lesson is right under yr nose.
    First tackle these life problems guided by scripture - the Bhagavad Gita.
    So, I would strongly recommend studying the Bhagavad Gita and not just jump to formless meditation right away.
    The AtmA is buried under layers of conditioning from many births. Work is needed to let it shine through first. purification of heart - cheto darpaNa mArjanam.

Ganesh should not have to babysit, but you may ask Him some subtle or key questions.

Am i just to reflect on the thought of Ganesha himself?
    Your job now is to be the best you can as a devotee. To please Him. So, studying the Bhagavad Gita will help you in that direction. How to be. attitude towards others. Towards life. Knowledge of AtmA. Inner self.
    How may I serve You, Ganesh? should be the question.

I feel my questions can only be answered by the divine.
    Mine too. always. Shri KRshNa is my Guru, taru, Lord, Beloved, also Mother, Child, Everything. Sarvasva. In fact I hardly exist at all, but as an attribute of Him.

and I'm still borderline ignorant to their, or my own purpose.
    Then study the Bhagavad Gita. For getting to know Ganesh, read the Ganesh purAN also, but Bh Gita is for things like life's purpose, divine purpose, what is the Supreme Absolute Truth etc.

Sometimes, in due course Ganesh Himself points or directs the devotee to another area of spirituality - since He is the vighna-nAshak - remover of material and spiritual obstacles, so you meet Him first. This may not happen with you, just saying by experience (I used to see Ganesh when I closed my eyes, also a huge Ganesh touching the sky. Sometimes smelled incense associated with Him when there was none. He directed me elsewhere).

I am very happy for you

_/\_
    om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~

P.S.
    And I would ignore such things:
    Suppose i invent a machine which you can fix over your head and then it sends signals to specific neurons to create any kind of image you want to see ... you just have to feed in "Rama" and it shows Rama. Feed in Jesus and it shows jesus ... instead of a computer screen ... it shows in your mental screen ... just imagine that such an instrument is constructed.
    How offensive.
    Last edited by smaranam; 14 August 2013 at 11:16 AM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    This experience itself is your teacher. The lesson is right under yr nose.
    First tackle these life problems guided by scripture - the Bhagavad Gita.
    So, I would strongly recommend studying the Bhagavad Gita and not just jump to formless meditation right away.
    The AtmA is buried under layers of conditioning from many births. Work is needed to let it shine through first. purification of heart - cheto darpaNa mArjanam.

Ganesh should not have to babysit, but you may ask Him some subtle or key questions.

Your job now is to be the best you can as a devotee. To please Him. So, studying the Bhagavad Gita will help you in that direction. How to be. attitude towards others. Towards life. Knowledge of AtmA. Inner self.
    How may I serve You, Ganesh? should be the question.
    STEP 1: shravaNam - hear [scripture], read [scripture], listen, collect
    (Bh Gita and Ganesh Puran)

STEP 2: mananam - contemplate, think, solve life puzzles

STEP 3: nidhidhyAsanam - digest, inculcate the teachings, change attitude walk them. Meditation is a part of this as a following step.
    Detachment has to come too - as a healthy balance of life and detachment.
    The idea is to stay in the world but not attached to it - at least not too attached to it.

Intermediate overlapping steps -
    kirtanam - chant mantra
    vandanam - sing hymns, aarati, shloka, etc.
    smaraNam - remembrance - also during the day while attending to the world.

P.S. An important part of STEP 1: shravaNam is sAdhu-sanga - association of saints. Can you get it? Find a temple closeby. Talk to the priests. Sometimes temples hold lessons/lectures on Gita etc.

This can help with the life part. We have to walk alone, and in such cases as ours, it is the IshTa and us. To be left that way, but Temple association can be a wonderful thing.

Thread Information