Thread: FIR for hurting religious sentiments:

FIR for hurting religious sentiments:

Namaste HDF

I was following the recent developments in the controversial movie PK.

As per Hinduism the soul decide the womb to take birth. So if I am born as a Hindu or following a particular Sampradaya (tradition) it is due to the karma accrued by my soul. In my limited knowledge this idea form the basic building block of Hinduism.

So if an Indian media house question this, isn't it an insult on every Hindus living in India?

Kindly share your views on how Hinduism view Janma (birth) and the reported views in the movie PK.

Portraying Lord Shiva in a bad
    light?:

According to a report on
    indiatoday.intoday.in, the
    secretary of Hindu Legal Cell,
    Prashant Patel, has apparently
    lodged an FIR against director
    Rajkumar Hirani, Aamir Khan,
    producer Vidhu Vinod Chopra and
    Sidharth Roy Kapur.

Reportedly, he thinks that Lord Shiva has
    been portrayed in a bad light in
    PK.

Further allegations include
    comments on Hindu rituals, that
    hurt the sentiments of believers.
    The FIR has a mention of the
    film's dialogue, 'Jo darta hai vo hi
    mandir jaata hai.'

Raju Hirani clarifies: Director
    Rajkumar Hirani came forward to
    clear his stance. In an interview
    to DNA, he said, "We have not
    done anything for which people
    can tell we have deliberately hurt
    anyone's religious sentiments.

The
    core idea of the film is just that
    we are not born with a birthmark
    proclaiming we are Hindus or
    Muslims or Sikhs or Christians. It
    is just that like a baby is born
    without any per-conceived notions
    and is made to follow a certain
    lifestyle and perform certain
    rituals, we decided to have Aamir
    as an alien which meant he too
    did not have any idea or notions
    about what religion is here on
    Earth.

A newborn baby is taught
    to follow certain rules and act
    according to one's religious
    traditions. When they grow up
    and have their own set of
    ideologies, they think their ways
    or methods are right and others
    are wrong. To a Hindu, some
    ritual might be done in a certain
    manner or something might be
    considered sacred. But for
    Muslims, it might be something
    else. That is what we tried to
    portray that our ways are
    different, not by choice, but our
    faith remains the same."
    Anirudh...

Re: FIR for hurting religious sentiments:

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anirudh View Post
    So if an Indian media house question this, isn't it an insult on every Hindus living in India?
    Insulting Dharma is extremely fashionable in India. I even mentioned it in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    No country in the world, in my opinion, has profited so much from mocking its own people, country, heritage and culture, as has India. And the Indian public just eat it all up. The mere fact that over a billion people, people whom I personally believe should otherwise know better, are tamed, and then often amused and cajoled into partaking in such subversion; easily illustrates the severity of the anti-Hindu and anti-Bharat conundrum.
    ... remember?

Namaste,

We, the Bharatiya Hindus, are not able to shake off our old conditioning of denigrating our identity, and we have no one to blame for that but ourselves. I am glad that a FIR has been filed to start dealing with this malady and awaken people to stop beating themselves up by allowing mockery of everything Indian, specially Hinduism, by Bollywood. Lines like 'jo darta hai, vo hi mandir jata hai', are totally unacceptable.

Pranam.

Exclamation Re: FIR for hurting religious sentiments:

Namaste Believer ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

We, the Bharatiya Hindus, are not able to shake off our old conditioning of denigrating our identity, and we have no one to blame for that but ourselves. I am glad that a FIR has been filed to start dealing with this malady and awaken people to stop beating themselves up by allowing mockery of everything Indian, specially Hinduism, by Bollywood.

Lines like 'jo darta hai, vo hi mandir jata hai', are totally unacceptable.

Pranam.
    Bollywood or anyother Indian media is run by anti Hindus. I completely agree with you that We (my previous generation) are responsible for this.

But I fail to understand how and why my father, grand father, grand grand father, ... turned into an eunuch?

Mr Modi had to work hard about 4 decades and that effort has helped people to grow spine. Yet Congress wins seat in the Hindu dominated regions.

http://www.timesofindia.com/jk-and-j...w/45623255.cms

Recent "Ghar Wapasi" and "Governance day" are just the early signs of the emerging Good Will. It shows that we too can speak the language of our principal tormentors...

Now back to the original question from a different angle ...

My birth is decided my Karma and if I don't know this fundamental principle of my religion who is responsible?

How could I expect myself to take up arms (i mean protests that conform to the law of land) when I dont even know that my faith is being mocked?

Now that someone is screaming from the roof top Why can't we grow spine? Am I suppose to think everything is Shree Bhagwaan's leela and hence why will I bother?

Refraining from supporting this kind of message is not as difficult as protesting against cow slaughter. Believe me! Leave the crew that has participated in the making of this movie, majority of film goers or the ones who have seen this film are Hindus.

One may wonder what HDF would benefit from this discussion. I have raised few question through this post.

#1. Why are we continuing to be eunuch ?
    #2. Isn't it a responsibility of every Hindu to seek truth and also spread truth?
    #3. With so many cultural branches or school of thoughts (Sampradaya) how do we uphold the dignity of the basics of Hinduism?

I am not against few Sampradaya(s) but certain practices like offering meat, alcohol, other perverse rituals and last but not the least the confusion between duality and non duality create more hurdle on the way to grow spine.

PS: Moderator ji

If possible could you replicate this thread in other related sub forums. I am keenly interested in learned members to read my questions and share their views. I believe as a beneficiary of SD practices I owe atleast this simple effort to SD.

Thanks
    Last edited by Anirudh; 23 December 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Anirudh...

Namaste Sudas ji

Without any doubt we all know your views but why are we sitting over it without taking corrective measures. If corrective measures has to be taken do we atleast know the list measures to be taken?

We can think about "HOW or the procedure to execute those measures" later. But do we know them atleast ?
    Anirudh...

Namaste,
    Namaste Sudas ji

Without any doubt we all know your views but why are we sitting over it without taking corrective measures. If corrective measures has to be taken do we atleast know the list measures to be taken?

We can think about "HOW or the procedure to execute those measures" later. But do we know them atleast ?
    If by corrective measures you mean something along the lines of banning the film, I would like to state my disagreement. I am not a fan of censorship, especially not of a film. In my opinion, a better option would be to implement an intellectual response about the inconsistency of Bollywood producers or directors, or rather their tendency to use the "critique religion and God" notion as a veneer to hide behind, from which they almost exclusively target Hindus and Hinduism. For example, we can highlight the fact that while Hirani wanted to make a film criticizing religion and God in a general sense, his film wasn't really that general because he almost exclusively targeted Hindus and Hinduism. Therefore, his criticism of religion and God wasn't all that general, it was directed at a particular audience.

It should also be highlighted that most directors that take such advantage in similar fashion know, for a fact, that targeting Hindus and Hinduism will still leave them with a profit because most Hindus will still watch the film and even praise it, as ironic as that may rationally seem, going back to my earlier statement quoted above. Whereas, on the other hand, it would be social and economic suicide for them to, say, criticize Muslims and Islam. If this approach is conducted with empirical data highlighting a growing anti-Hindu trend in Bollywood, a measure to call them out, so to speak, can hold statistical and analytical merit instead of being solely emotive.
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 24 December 2014 at 03:52 PM.

Namaste,
    Now that someone is screaming from the roof top Why can't we grow spine? Am I suppose to think everything is Shree Bhagwaan's leela and hence why will I bother?
    I refer to such spinelessness as the Placating Impotency Conundrum (PIC). This is largely due to most Hindus having lost the Vedic doctrine of Virya Mentality (VM). Therefore, make no mistake about it: the gods and goddesses of our ancestors, the glorious Pitr-s, detest and abhor such spinelessness. We insult not only ourselves by being so weak, but also our gods and goddesses that prefer to see their children strong and mindfully balanced. What's the point of acknowledging such powerful deities when we can't even realize how devastatingly weak most Hindus have become?

One may wonder what HDF would benefit from this discussion. I have raised few question through this post.

#1. Why are we continuing to be eunuch ?
    Because of three reasons:
    1. "Intellectual" Hindus prefer to engage mostly in theological topics, instead of spending most of their "intellectualness" on matters that concern the defending of Dharma such as highlighting anti-Hindu encroachments.

2. Most Hindus have a perverted understanding of ahimsa and "vasudhaiva kutumbakam". First of all, the concept of ahimsa in the Astika fashion, holding true to the Vedic doctrine of VM, does not rule out defensive measures. In fact, to not reply against an offensive measure in order to safeguard the Dharmic's social, economic, and political well-being is, in and of itself, a violation of Dharma. And lastly, the whole world is not one big family. The message the Hitopadesha was trying to relay, wherein this phrase can contextually be seen, is that the mere existence of predation annuls the irrationally idealistic notion of "worldly brotherhood".

3. Most Hindus prefer to lambast other Hindus instead of uniting together, regardless of theological differences, in order to intellectually and/or politically halt or decrease anti-Hindu encroachments.
    #2. Isn't it a responsibility of every Hindu to seek truth and also spread truth?
    If you mean by helping other Hindus through social, economic, and political means? Yes. It is a responsibility of every capable and conscious Hindu to seek shelter in the wide spectrum that accompanies Satya, but also articulate its uniqueness to other Hindus, who have a difficult time grasping such ideas, if they wish to receive help. However, those that refuse assistance must be respected because to administer such aid to those that do not wish to receive it would be counterproductive.
    #3. With so many cultural branches or school of thoughts (Sampradaya) how do we uphold the dignity of the basics of Hinduism?

I am not against few Sampradaya(s) but certain practices like offering meat, alcohol, other perverse rituals and last but not the least the confusion between duality and non duality create more hurdle on the way to grow spine.
    The "basics of Hinduism"? First, we must acknowledge that if there exist any "basics", they do so simply because we spend too much time thinking about them. Traditionally, the only basic matter is the fact that most Hindus acknowledge the Vedas as Shruti. Instead, and more importantly, we must rather acknowledge the beauty of Hindu plurality and advertise both emotional and intellectual support of such diversity. The dignity in the preservation of Dharma depends largely on the fact whether items related to Dharma can be preserved or not in the first place. Less theology; more activeness.

Namaste,

The chink is that such antics of the Abrahmacis easily give away. Because in their binary worldviews they lack the diversity the average Hindu is well endowed with, and therefore to my mind such movies do not provide more than cheap entertainment to the targeted audience.

Even the Asaram Bapus of the world are not more than vulgar puppets who provide some entertainment to the masses in the sprititua genre.

I talked to some people who have seen the movie and told them what I thought of the movie though I haven't even seen it: they agreed wholesomely.

Abrahamics and antics go together for the Hindu public. Nothing to worry much at their front. The real worry is getting the act together of the "Hindu intellectuals" - as Sudas as pointed out.

We at HDF should also pay tribute with some discussion of the contributions of someone like Koenraad Elst.

I believe there is indeed the "basic of Hinduism". Ina recent convo with an HDF member I shared this with him, and he agreed. But I don't think I will be even allowed to discuss it openly as in a thread here on HDF.
    Things to remember:

1. Life = yajña
    2. Depth of Āstika knowledge is directly proportional
    to the richness of Sanskrit it is written in
    3. Āstika = Bhārata ("east") / Ārya ("west")
    4. Varṇa = tripartite division of Vedic polity
    5. r = c. x²
    where,
    r = realisation
    constant c = intelligence
    variable x = bhakti

Thread Information