Thread: Can anyone explain this?

Light Can anyone explain this?

Namaskar Gurujanas,
    From the Bhagvad Geeta I came to know that it is God who does everything and we are just the means.So,we don't do anything in this world,it is He The Almighty who does everything we are just his intermediaries.Lord Krishna said in Geeta that he who realises that he himself doesn't do anything but it is the Almighty who does,is the real Gyaani.

But this has also made me think that if God does everything.Then what about all the "Adharma" in this world.Why do they happen if God controls everything?
    God said in Geeta that he is everything,he said to Arjuna that he was Arjuna but he was also Duryodhana,and everything else like the sun,moon,galaxies,Shiva,Indra etc.

Please explain this to me.I am really intrigued.And to be clear I haven't read the Geeta fully at the moment.So,pardon me if this question doesn't make any sense at all.

Dhanyavad
    Hari bol

Re: Can anyone explain this?

Hi,

The idea here is that God is the common cause just as how rain is the common cause for the sprouting of different plants from different seeds, just as how sunlight is the common cause that disinfects dirt and simultaneously lights a forest fire.

It is the inherent tendencies in different entities which they have accumulated from the beginningless past that are the special cause of everything that happens to them. Yet, absent the common cause, no effect can come about. Absent rain, no plant can sprout. Absent sunlight, there is neither disinfection nor forest fire.

The Brahmasutras discuss this issue here.

Re: Can anyone explain this?

Namaste Abhishek,

Quote Originally Posted by Abhishek Born Again View Post
    From the Bhagvad Geeta I came to know that it is God who does everything and we are just the means.So,we don't do anything in this world,it is He The Almighty who does everything we are just his intermediaries.Lord Krishna said in Geeta that he who realises that he himself doesn't do anything but it is the Almighty who does,is the real Gyaani.

But this has also made me think that if God does everything.Then what about all the "Adharma" in this world.Why do they happen if God controls everything?
    God said in Geeta that he is everything,he said to Arjuna that he was Arjuna but he was also Duryodhana,and everything else like the sun,moon,galaxies,Shiva,Indra etc.

Please explain this to me.I am really intrigued.And to be clear I haven't read the Geeta fully at the moment.So,pardon me if this question doesn't make any sense at all.
    This is a very important question and answer is not easy to understand. Let me tell you some spiritual truths on which we can argue and understand this dilemma :

a) Brahman alone exists and therefore, any sense of individuality is false. Bhagwga Gita, Chapter-13 says that Brahman alone is Bharta (which nourishes or takes care), bhoktaa (Jeeva i.e. we, the beings in this world), Maheshwara (God). So, Jeeva and God are non-different from each other in essence.

b) Lord Krishna says quite a few times in Bhagwad Gita that all actions are actually performed by Prakriti (Gunas of Prakriti) or Nature and therefore, any ownership of actions or of whatever happens in this universe is false.

The above is difficult to understand as we can't see out of duality of this universe. I see myself a distinct being with distinct properties unique to "me" which makes me feel different from anyone else.

This is one state of Brahman (which is the sole Reality), where we "exist" and this may be called relative plane of existence. This relative plane of existence is caused by unique power of Brahman which is called "MAyA" or "Prakriti" or "nature of Brahman". This power of Brahman creates duality and creates the sense of "Creation" and the "Creator'. The Creator and the Creation "come into being" (actually this term is fallacious because MAyA is beginningless and so is creation) in relative existence due to two powers of MAyA i.e. power of veiling the Truth and power of projection of "things" (in several dimensions). It is like you take a lump of soil and create different objects and one lump of soil which had no individuality initially starts perceiving itself as different objects.

The above state is governed by the laws of Nature or MAyA. Within these laws is laws of Karma. Anything whatever happens in the above state is due to three gunas of Nature i.e. Satvaguna, rajoguna and Tamoguna. Rajo-guna and Tamo-guna create desires and delusion in mind (and also various emotions) (mind is nothing but reflected consciousness "created within Brahman") and create all conditions for fulfilling those desires and desire to act under different emotions. Due to these gunas all selfish actions and atrocities on others or adharmas are performed.

Individuality too arises in prakriti and that individuality or "ahamkaar" gets involved in these actions due to attachment to whatever happens. Why does it get attached ?? ... due to delusion (created by MAyA) and past impressions (or karma). Due to this attachment and ownership that he creates, he accumulates karma and suffers. However, the same individuality has option to detach itself from everything that happens in this universe. This can be achieved by path of devotion, yoga etc. By carefully and unceasingly treading the paths shown by the Self-realised Gurus, one reaches the state when the Truth is revealed to him and he sees that he is non-different from Brahman and there is no Karma and there is no Truth except Brahman.

In Bhagwad Gita, in some places Lord Krishna also claims that all such actions are actually performed by Him instead of saying that it is done by Prakriti or Nature. There is no reason for any ambiguity here because Prakriti is never separated from Brahman. "Anything done by God" actually means that it is done by Prakriti powered by Brahman as substratum. Prakriti by itself is inert.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information