Thread: Where to learn Hindi in India?

Where to learn Hindi in India?

Dear HDF members,

For the last couple of months I've been looking for reliable and non-fradulent institution that offers Hindi courses of approximately 3-6 months to non-Hindi speakers.

Unfortunately I discovered that Dehli University and Benares Hindu University no longer offer certificate courses for foreigners.

I possible I would like to fly over to India to learn Hindi as soon as possible. So all suggestions for institutions to learn Hindi are welcome. If urdu and sanskrit can be learned as well, please feel free to mention them.

Ritesh_

Re: Where to learn Hindi in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Ritesh_ View Post
    Dear HDF members,

For the last couple of months I've been looking for reliable and non-fradulent institution that offers Hindi courses of approximately 3-6 months to non-Hindi speakers.

Unfortunately I discovered that Dehli University and Benares Hindu University no longer offer certificate courses for foreigners.

I possible I would like to fly over to India to learn Hindi as soon as possible. So all suggestions for institutions to learn Hindi are welcome. If urdu and sanskrit can be learned as well, please feel free to mention them.

Ritesh_
    Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. I believe there may be some on-line courses, and I know some temples in the west offer classes. I'm curious, though, as to why you're so eager to learn Hindi. I have a friend who has been self-teaching herself. Perhaps you could consider that.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Welcome to these forums. I believe there may be some on-line courses, and I know some temples in the west offer classes. I'm curious, though, as to why you're so eager to learn Hindi. I have a friend who has been self-teaching herself. Perhaps you could consider that.

Aum Namasivaya
    In order to be able to read our scriptures for myself without being dependent on shaky mistranslations from pseudo-Indologists.

Sanskrit would be to difficult.

Namaste,

In order to be able to read our scriptures for myself without being dependent on shaky mistranslations from pseudo-Indologists.
    As has been mentioned in the forum several times before, the ability to read the language will not provide you with the wisdom to comprehend the meaning of the verses in terms of spiritual knowledge. The sages/acharyas/gurus who spent lot of time doing tapasya in order to get close to the spiritual level of the authors of various texts, were able to have realizations and have provided us with the spiritual meaning of the verses. So, the trick is to find a translation which seems right to you and go with it. Learning the language for the sake of knowing it is good, but to think that just by learning the language you will be able to understand the spiritual content of the texts is a bit far fetched. Please keep that in mind as you embark on your endeavor. Best wishes.

Pranam.

Vannakkam: If you intend to explore our great faith from a scholarly viewpoint, I think that may be valuable. Regardless though, all translations have some bias, as they do pass through the mind of another individual and come out the other side.

I personally don't know Sanskrit or Hindi or Tamii for that matter. But I approach this great faith of ours from the practical side, not the scholarly side. Most of what our wise sages have recorded is just plain common sense anyway, and we have lots of advisers who give great advice in English, or any other language.

So it depends on how you want to approach it. You don't need language to offer a flower or fruit to a God in a temple in supplication or gratitude. All you need is a bit of will and some humility.

Best wishes in your quest anyway.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Ritesh,

Do you want to learn Hindi through English ? What is your mother tongue ?

In my opinion, you first try Free online courses and then graduate to paid service. I found these sites (free-service) valuable :

http://www.letslearnhindi.com/

http://www.ispeakhindi.com/

For paid service, you may try this website :

http://www.hindiguru.org/levels_courses.html

Government of India, Directorate of Hindi runs courses for teaching Hindi for foreigners and non-Hindi speaking candidates of India.

Please visit this site :

http://www.hindinideshalaya.nic.in/e...se/course.html

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

simplest way is to travel to northern part of india and go for practical learning by communicating. rather then going for classes and all.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by hindu View Post
    simplest way is to travel to northern part of india and go for practical learning by communicating. rather then going for classes and all.
    That is an excellent suggestion. Now, only if you would offer to host him for 6 months to a year and help him with practical learning by communicating with him, the problem would be solved.

Pranam.

Thread Information