Thread: If Buddhism is distinct, what constitutes Hinduism?

If Buddhism is distinct, what constitutes Hinduism?

In Indian subcontinent, I understand there was a time when a major portion of the population was Buddhists. What was the name of the religion of the non-Buddhists? Were they called Hindus? As I understand, Hindu was an ethnic term used by Persians, so I am sure they called Buddhists of Bharat as Hindus as well. Was it Sanatana Dharma? What is the common thread that ties Sanatana Dharma? Is it Vedas?

Re: If Buddhism is distinct, what constitutes Hinduism?

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    In Indian subcontinent, I understand there was a time when a major portion of the population was Buddhists. What was the name of the religion of the non-Buddhists? Were they called Hindus? As I understand, Hindu was an ethnic term used by Persians, so I am sure they called Buddhists of Bharat as Hindus as well. Was it Sanatana Dharma? What is the common thread that ties Sanatana Dharma? Is it Vedas?
    Many scholars call the Vedic-based religio-culture of the Buddha's time Brahmanism or Vedicism.
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Re: If Buddhism is distinct, what constitutes Hinduism?

Namaste,

At that time ,Dharma was being called as Sanatana vedic dharma and today also hindus prefer sanatana dharma to define hinduism accurately . But many outsiders call us as hindus.

Sanatana dharma is nothing but a hinduism . Sanatana dharma is based on vedas and it's offshoots.
    Hari On!

Thread Information