Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planetory Movements

Planetory Movements

Om Tat Sat,

As we all know Kuja, Budha, Guru, Sukra & Sani travels in clockwise direction mostly and at at times in anti-clockwise direction(retrogration).
    What factors determines the direction of motion of these planets and period. In other words how we are identifying that the planets are moving in which direction for this much period.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
    Krishna

Re: Planetory Movements

Om Tat Sat,

I'll be glad if some one can clarify on this question. Appreciate your help.

Thanks
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Om Tat Sat,

As we all know Kuja, Budha, Guru, Sukra & Sani travels in clockwise direction mostly and at at times in anti-clockwise direction(retrogration).
    What factors determines the direction of motion of these planets and period. In other words how we are identifying that the planets are moving in which direction for this much period.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks
    Krishna

Actually, Krishnaji, these never move retrograde astronomically! Surprised? But it is TRUE :-)

If you could move away from solar system and were to view it so that you were perpendicular to the orbital plane of the solar system, you will see all planets moving in one direction only!

So what is the big deal about retrogression that we astrologers make?

It is because astrology is based on taking earth (the field of action!) as the centre and view the planets as they seem to move around us!

So, all the inferior planets (venus and mercury) will be seen as going in one direction when they are between us and the sun, but when they go to the other side, of the sun, they would 'seem to' move in the opposite direction. This is because their orbits are smaller than of the earth and hence we can view their entire orbit. This is the reason why mercury and venus never move farther than about 28 degrees away from the sun (smaller orbit) while venus does not stray farther than 46degrees or so from the sun.

Mars and jupiter and saturn have larger orbits than ours and so we do not see their entire orbits as we can of mercury and venus. In certain situations, generally always when we are between those planets and the sun, since our orbital velocity is faster than theirs (our orbit being smaller than theirs) it would seem as we approach them while orbitting that they are moving backwards, and depending on our location, it would seem that they are even not moving (stambhan).

So, in a sense it is an optical illusion of sorts, but illusion or not, the effects are unmistakable, in astrological framework! Hence we make such a big deal about the whole thing, rightly! :-)

So why is moon never retrograde! Because it is orbiting around us and relatively faster than us. In the same way, if we were to see planets from the sun (if PAPA SOL lets us!), no planet will ever seem retrograde.

If we were to indeed make it to mars someday and live there, then we would be able to see earth retrogress too from time to time. But we know that it is always moving forward, do we not?

Although in Canada, this winter has become so prolonged that I wonder if we seem to be not moving forward, seasonally and have arrived at stambhan (stationary) hence the seasons do not seem to be moving ahead and spring is not arriving! <SIGH!>

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Namaste,

Dear KrishnaTVM,

Look to a Spirograph for a basic model and understanding; the elementary geometry is the same.

Kind regards.

Dear RR & Mana Ji,

Thanks again for your clarifications. I do understand that retro is more a pseudo pheonomenon. The onlything I want to understand is how the direction of a planet is calculated in panchangs. In similar line how we are calculating the time of a planet in a house. Say... Though we say that Guru stays in a house for 1 year its not always 365 days right. Some thing more or less. In between Guru becomes retro as well.

I just want to understand this phoenomenon better

Thanks
    Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by KrishnaTVM View Post
    Dear RR & Mana Ji,

Thanks again for your clarifications. I do understand that retro is more a pseudo pheonomenon. The onlything I want to understand is how the direction of a planet is calculated in panchangs. In similar line how we are calculating the time of a planet in a house. Say... Though we say that Guru stays in a house for 1 year its not always 365 days right. Some thing more or less. In between Guru becomes retro as well.

I just want to understand this phoenomenon better

Thanks
    Krishna
    Regarding these basics, Usha Shashi's book (google) will answer many of your questions, Krishnaji, an perhaps many articles on internet (google!) will too, if you do not wish to acquire the books.

A message or a few would simply keep you unsatisfied...!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Namaste KrishnaKVM ji

I must correct you here, there is nothing
    pseudo about the phenomenon; the relative motion of the Graha to the cosmos behind, is reversed. You must see the importance of relativity here, like ants on a potters wheel.

As previously explained, a Spirograph demonstrates directly the geometry involved. The difference being in reality the orbits are elliptical with non linear velocity.

Take the Spirograph's outer circle is the suns orbit (actually it is the center of the smaller circle) but is traced by the outer circle. The pen point demonstrates the orbit of an inner planet.

Do the same with algebra and you have a linear formula of a non linear system, I prefer to see the geometry in my minds eye.

Kind regards.

Very nice display, Mana ji.

Krishna ji, as Mana ji correctly stated, the retrogression, stationary, acceleration and deceleration of planets that we use in our astrological framework, from heliocentric (sun as the center) may seem non-existant, but we live on earth and from there we accept phenomena as we see those as. Those who have difficulty in accepting this geocentric perspective may remain sceptical about astrology, saying that the geocentric concept of the universe is antiquated and pre-scientific and pre-astronomy in a sense, but it seems to be essential in astrology making sense and an effective tool in our lives.

If we do form colonies on mars which may become a reality one day if current space explorations continue to be supported and strange as it may sound apparently there seems to be an attempt in the next few years when teams of individuals have applied, screened and accepted for a one way journey to mars. This was in national news and is not a hoax. To the best of my information NASA, Canadian Space Agency and few other similar agencies are involved. From thousands of applicants, they selected a handful of men and women for these proposed adventures. If at some point these dare-devils become successful, they might have children who shall grow up on mars, it is conceivable (pun unintended!), and I bet if a horoscope gets drawn for these children, it would have to be mars-centric and in it earth will be a significant planet, and like other inferior planets (mercury and venus), earth would go through its direct motions, its stationary, its two solar conjunctions, of which one will be adverse, the other the opposite, and earth will be retrograde from time to time. Also, the transit periods of *sun* will be different, since mars orbits a little slower than earth, hence the mars-centric solar year will be longer than 365 days!

All this reminds me of Swami Yukteshwar Giri ji's contention that in the Yuga Cycle, we are not living in Kali, but Dwapar! Giri ji utilized a much shorter scale of TIME and linked it to the cycle of ayanamshas! Details given in his book written/published in 1893, named The Holy Science.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Dear Rohiniranjan Ji Krishna Ji,

To my mind, the geocentric view is an inevitability of Einsteins relativity the heliocentric model actually falls apart when we consider this; It would seem that many "scientists" or western material philosophers, are so deeply indoctrinated by the Newtonian and Rutherford's atomic model, amongst other beliefs, that they don't realize this. Consequently; they are quite happy to ridicule both astrology and astrologers ...

She is so beautiful when you can see the funny side; makes me smile every time I think of it.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 07 March 2014 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Dear Rohiniranjan Ji Krishna Ji,

To my mind, the geocentric view is an inevitability of Einsteins relativity the heliocentric model actually falls apart when we consider this; It would seem that many "scientists" or western material philosophers, are so deeply indoctrinated by the Newtonian and Rutherford's atomic model, amongst other beliefs, that they don't realize this. Consequently; they are quite happy to ridicule both astrology and astrologers ...

She is so beautiful when you can see the funny side; makes me smile every time I think of it.

Kind regards.

Dear Manaji,

Modern Science is like a precocious child who has made great strides in a relatively short time. But now it is maturing and taking Einstein's discoveries more seriously. Hence the recognition of the practical value of relativity which has brought to us Quantum physics and quantum chemistry on which nanotechnology relies and NANO is here big time, ready or not we might be, for it. Making great strides into modern paints and coatings, modern optics (high end) and the field of medicine, etc, etc. ;-)

Not sure how old you are in physical years, but what was science fiction in my childhood has become past reality now (lasers and lunar landing etc) and what was science fiction in my early adult years is now here already in the form of The Mars One project which plans to form the first human beginnings of colonization of mars! In about 15 years or so! Some of our younger astrologers better be ready for reading requests from mars, when they would be in their fifties and sixties <LOL>!

Love, Light, Reality (always stranger than fantasy!)

Rohiniranjan

Thread Information