Thread: Ardhanarishwara ???

Ardhanarishwara ???

Yesterday I read that the above mentioned puja should be offered to Shaiva on Monday. Does anyone know how it is to be done? We are also to read Shaiva Purana.

I cannot locate it other than in the PDF file where I read it.

Thank you in advance
    AUM

Re: Ardhanarishwara ???

Namaste Mystical Soul,

Unfortunately I don't know anything about your first question, puja for ShivaShakti in the form of Ardhanariswara, though I am interested to see any answers. But in relation to the question, is there a link to the PDF you mention that you would be comfortable sharing, or a passage you wouldn't mind quoting? It might help to provide context, if so.

As to readings, I've run into various recommendations from people of different regions and traditions. Some with a specific Sampradaya read their teachings only, or in combination with other scripture. Some have told me to read or listen to the Shiva Chalisa, some say the Sri Rudram and Chamakam in succession, as many times as possible, or the Shiva Sahasranama Stotram. I've also heard to read the Shiva Purana or the Skanda Purana. There are other things too, such as fasting. I do a little of each and let Sri Ganapati and Sri Shiva guide.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaste Mystical Soul,

Unfortunately I don't know anything about your first question, puja for ShivaShakti in the form of Ardhanariswara, though I am interested to see any answers. But in relation to the question, is there a link to the PDF you mention that you would be comfortable sharing, or a passage you wouldn't mind quoting? It might help to provide context, if so.

As to readings, I've run into various recommendations from people of different regions and traditions. Some with a specific Sampradaya read their teachings only, or in combination with other scripture. Some have told me to read or listen to the Shiva Chalisa, some say the Sri Rudram and Chamakam in succession, as many times as possible, or the Shiva Sahasranama Stotram. I've also heard to read the Shiva Purana or the Skanda Purana. There are other things too, such as fasting. I do a little of each and let Sri Ganapati and Sri Shiva guide.

~Pranam
    Namaste Pranam, try this one.
    Each Day of a Week Dedicated to a Particular Hindu God

www.londonsrimurugan.org/pdf/EachDayoftheWeek.pdf
    the color of the day and red flowers are offered to Surya ... day. Thus Monday is usually dedicated to Lord Shiva. Upvass, or fasting, on Mondays begins at...

I hope it will work for you. Very interesting PDF file. Thank you ever so much for your info.
    AUM

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Soul View Post
    Yesterday I read that the above mentioned puja should be offered to Shaiva on Monday. Does anyone know how it is to be done? We are also to read Shaiva Purana.

I cannot locate it other than in the PDF file where I read it.
    Shiva is sometimes worshiped as "ArdhanArishvara" which means Purusha (Man) + NAri (woman) or "Purusha + Prakriti" or "Shiva + Shakti" together. His half part is male and half female in form. The philosophy behind is that Shiva and Shakti are not separate from each other.

Non-sectarian Hindus don't follow any rule specially for Ardhanarishvara as you say. However, I think Hindu from Shaiva sampraDaya can throw more light on this.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste ji,
    Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Shiva is sometimes worshiped as "ArdhanArishvara" which means Purusha (Man) + NAri (woman) or "Purusha + Prakriti" or "Shiva + Shakti" together. His half part is male and half female in form. The philosophy behind is that Shiva and Shakti are not separate from each other.

Non-sectarian Hindus don't follow any rule specially for Ardhanarishvara as you say. However, I think Hindu from Shaiva sampraDaya can throw more light on this.
    So far as I have learned till now, Shiva and Shakti are never worshiped apart from each other. When worshiping the Lingam, the base is indicative of Shakti and the stone rising from it is Shiva. ShivaShakti are never separate. This teaches both that each are one and equal with the other and that we all have both male and female nature/energies within us and they must be in balance in order to begin to progress spiritually.

There are always Holidays where one is Honored for their specific actions and not the other, such as Shivaratri and Navaratri, but during worship they are never separate and neither are ever separate from us.

The Sampradaya I have been studying most is Shaiva Siddhanta, though I am not formally taking their course as of yet. There are other here that are formal Sisyas of that school who may be able to illuminate more on this.

~Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Vannakkam: In my school, Ardhinarisvara is used to represent and beseech Sat-chit-ananda, energy or consciousness flowing through all form, as the substratum. But indeed, as Anandini indicated, Siva and Shakti are inseparable.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information