Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is tantrik monism

Thanks

Namaste Arjuna,

Thanks for your replies. They celar some mist from my mind.

As for satyananda ji's doctrine. Shaktibad is not a sadhna doctrine but a samaj dharma as I have said. I never met the man so not sure what he tought to his direct deciples. He has written that anyone is free to choose his spiritual path within sanatana dharma - so it doesn't matter much and has little to with Shaktibad. About sadhna he expressed briefly but deeply in his auto biography. Brajmachari is not for all, only for those who want to take that path. The reason I have high regards for brahmacharya is different.

But many thanks for your posts (spl last one). It does make things clear for me.

Exclamation

Namaste Arjuna,

Shri Shankara did not regularly use or recommend Panca-Makara, and he did not practise Cakra-Puja in any Kaula sense. I am not positive about Shri Gaudapada (having seen no evidence either way), but is seems unlikely that Shankaracarya would have altered something that would have been the most sacred ritual of his Paramaguru (if what you suggest is true). Can you please provide some evidence for this remarkable claim?
    Last edited by sarabhanga; 09 April 2006 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Namaste Singhi,

Shri Shankaracarya established seven Mathas ~ four Amnaya (manifest directional) Maths and three purely “experiential” Mathas.

The fifth Matha is Sumeru, the Kshetra is Kailash, the Devi is Maya, and the Sampradaya is Kashi.

The sixth Matha is Paramatma, the Kshetra is Nabha-Sarovara (the Sky), the Devi is Manasi-Maya, and the Sampradaya is Sattva.

The seventh Matha is Sahasrarkadyuti (i.e. Ananda), the Kshetra is Anubhuti, the Devi is Cit-Shakti, and the Sampradaya is Satshishya (i.e. a true disciple of Shri Gaudapada).

All Dashanami Sannyasins who are associated with Jyotish Matha have the suffix Ananda added to their name when they are first initiated as Brahmacaris.

And only after a traditional period of 6 or 12 years are they initiated as Avadhuta, and traditionally only after another 6 or 12 years are they allowed initiation as a Naga.

At the time of Avadhuta Samskara, the Ananda is dropped, and the new Avadhuta or Naga adopts the family name of his Guru (which from Jyotishmatha would be Giri, Parvata, or Sagara).

All of this was expounded by Shri Shankaracarya in his establishment of the Dashanami Sampradaya.

In Dashanami tradition, there is no possibility of a Sarasvati Baba with the Brahmacarya title “Ananda”, because Sarasvatis are all linked to Shringeri Matha and their correct Brahmacarya suffix is Caitanya!

Other than that, Satyananda Sarasvati’s teaching on the three “secret” Mathas is taken straight from Dashanami oral traditions and the writings of Shri Shankaracarya himself.
    Namaste Sarabhanga Ji,

Thanks for your answer.

About the brahmachari name Ananda and the title Saraswati, it may be that it is the practice of the 3 abyakta Mathas? For I have met a sannayasin from sumeru peeth as well. He also held the title xxxxxxxxxananda saraswati.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Namaste Arjuna,

Shri Shankara did not regularly use or recommend Panca-Makara, and he did not practise Cakra-Puja in any Kaula sense. I am not positive about Shri Gaudapada (having seen no evidence either way), but is seems unlikely that Shankaracarya would have altered something that would have been the most sacred ritual of his Paramaguru (if what you suggest is true). Can you please provide some evidence for this remarkable claim?
    Namaste,

I cannot provide any exact evidence myself. This was told to me by two Shrividya gurus (one of them has a degree of Shastri) and also by Pt. Hemen Chakravarti, one of leading scholars on Tantrism in VNS, student of Pt. Gopinath Kaviraj.
    As an indirect evidence i gave an example of Shrividyarnava, which is from Gaudapada—Shankara tradition.
    My Guru and Shri Amritananda (Dr. Prahlad Shastri) explained 11th verse of Saundarya-lahari as describing bhairavi-chakra.
    Thus, i follow my parampara in this statement and also taking in account certain scientific data.

Of course, neither or us can state what Shankara in fact did or did not. We weren't there, and all our statements are more or less valid assumptions.
    Last edited by Arjuna; 09 April 2006 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    Namaste Arjuna,
    As for satyananda ji's doctrine. Shaktibad is not a sadhna doctrine but a samaj dharma as I have said. I never met the man so not sure what he tought to his direct deciples. He has written that anyone is free to choose his spiritual path within sanatana dharma - so it doesn't matter much and has little to with Shaktibad.
    I got the point, thanks for putting it in clear words.

Natha Sampradaya

Can anyone provide me some info on natha sampradaya?
    Are they active in India? Are they fully ascetic (meaning one has to take similar to sannyas vows after initiation, including do not seek employment)?
    What are their main centres in India? etc.
    Web pointers will be appreciated.
    I'm not putting up a new thread on this related question.
    Last edited by Singhi Kaya; 09 April 2006 at 10:51 AM.

Basically there are two branches of Nathism: original, Kaula tradition of Matsyendranatha (as described in Kaulajnana-nirnaya) and later one, Gorakshanatha's. Nowadays it's hard to find original Naths, although as i heard from my Guru and as Sarabhanga also said once, they are still existing. They hold on to Kaula mode of sadhana and practice with women.

Gorakshanathis are widely spread, publish many books and their basic center is Gorakhpur, UP. They are involved in rituals and hatha-yoga mostly, although some hidden practices may still survive among them (such as indicated in Hathayoga-pradipika and Shiva-samhita). As i heard from my friend who is Nath-avadhuta they have 12 main sampradayas, he himself got darshanas from guru of Ai-panth, so to say shakta-sampradaya of Nathism.

Perhaps Sarabhanga can tell much more on Nathism, he is an expert in that.

Smile

It is world is divided by-polar between a complete ascetic or woman...isin't there anything in between? sigh!

That's natural, isn't it?

BTW regarding Adi Shankara:
    according to opinion of B. N. Pandit (Professor of sanskrit, University of Himachal and Jammu, one of the leading experts in Kashmiri Shaivism), Shankara composed all his vedantic treateses in his young age and thus his darshana happened to be immature, but later turned to Shakta-darshana and exposed his views in Saundarya-lahari.

Thread Information