Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any copy of Gita I can find?

Any copy of Gita I can find?

Namaste all,

Can anyone provide links or sources where I can Order An Legit English Translation of the Bhagavad Gita that is NOT an "As it is" version?

I respect and honor the beliefs and interpretations presented, but the commentary's by Swami Prabhupada(Iskon) are too extreme for my taste. It is difficult finding a legitimate translation of a copy when I'm mostly bumping into Iskcon Material.

Thank you in advance
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Re: Any copy of Gita I can find?

SpiritSeeker,

Try GeetaPress. http://www.gitapress.org/search_code.asp
    You will be happy.
    Read it while travelling, keep in your pocket (well not literally, please honour it).

May Shri KRshNa JanArdana VAsudeva guide you.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Try Gita Press

http://www.gitapress.org/books/gita/...Gita_Roman.pdf

Most of the translations are with "Advaitic" tinge but of course, they themselves got variations in their translations. Not sure what is your taste but if it is not against Vaishnava traditions, here is one big compilation

http://www.bhagavad-gita.org/

Hare Krshna!

Namaste,

Grames has already suggested a good book. You may also check this :
    http://www.sadhaksanjivani.com/

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste SS

This translation by Jayaram V is definetly IMHO one of the best in the modern era. It is destined to become a classic. I strongly recommend:

http://www.jayaramv.com/books/bgComplete.aspx

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Seeker View Post
    Namaste all,

Can anyone provide links or sources where I can Order An Legit English Translation of the Bhagavad Gita that is NOT an "As it is" version?

I respect and honor the beliefs and interpretations presented, but the commentary's by Swami Prabhupada(Iskon) are too extreme for my taste. It is difficult finding a legitimate translation of a copy when I'm mostly bumping into Iskcon Material.

Thank you in advance
    Namaste,

Gita commentaries by swami chinmaya and Swami Sivananda (of divine Life society) are good. both are of advaitic nature and follow Shankara bhashya closely, but it is not a translation of shankara bhashya.

Sadhaka sangivani is hindi Commentary, may be translated into English by swami Ramsukh das ji Maharaj of Gita Bhavan, Gita Press Gorakhpur. He is very revered Swami, but does not belong to Adviata, yet his commentaries are bhakti mixed with Jnana.

In General Any book by Gita Press is good choice, as they function at a high loss since they give at a price which does not even cover printing cost. It is highly supported by Volunteers.

Gita Press also have Shankara bhashya translated in Hindi. It is not a Commentary by Swami Ram sukh das ji.
    some find commentary by Swami Ramsukhdas ji a little heavy.

I would suggest you to go with Swami Chinmaya or Swami Sivananda if you like Advaita interpretation.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Namaste,

Swami Chinmaya's gita Commentary is also available as an audio / Video discourse.

Good Luck

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

namaste

You can try Sri Aurobindo also

Namaste,

Thank you everyone kindly for the links provided!! I am eager to get started.

God Bless.
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. ~Joseph Dunninger

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Seeker View Post
    Namaste all,

Thank you in advance
    Hands down the hits published by pinguin publishing translated by Juan mascaro
    "Names and forms are like bangles and braclets and Vishnu is like the Gold." - Adi Shankara

Thread Information