Thread: can't get over the idea of loneliness in advaita

can't get over the idea of loneliness in advaita

Hello. I've been researching advaita Vedanta again and I've got to the point that I can sometimes, with enough study and meditation, get into the feeling of oneness. But I can't get over the feeling that if there is ultimately only one consciousness that that would be a lonely state. If anyone else has struggled with this issue or has any helpful input at all I would be very appreciative. Thank you. Stevie.

Re: can't get over the idea of loneliness in advaita

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

The answer to your question lies within the chāndogya upaniṣad ( 7th chapter or adhyāya - a chapter, lesson or lecture)

Where one sees nothing else, hears nothing else, understands nothing else that is bhūman ( fullness, the Infinite, abundance , plenty, wholeness ).
    Where one sees something else, hears something else, understands something else that is little ( alpam).

I will wait for others to offer their point of view, then comment on the above.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste Shays,

Quote Originally Posted by shays860 View Post
    I've been researching advaita Vedanta again and I've got to the point that I can sometimes, with enough study and meditation, get into the feeling of oneness. But I can't get over the feeling that if there is ultimately only one consciousness that that would be a lonely state. If anyone else has struggled with this issue or has any helpful input at all I would be very appreciative.
    These ideas are very common and arise to conditioning of our minds. Why do we need to be more than one ? That is because our "experience" (mental) is that we need more than ourselves to enjoy ! This is the conditioning we are living with and therefore, arising of such thoughts is quite natural. The real situation is quite different :

a) It (the Reality, the Self) really doesn't need anyone else to be blissful, It is blissful by its own nature.

b) In fact, the presence of anyone else would be cause of fear. This is because if there is anyone else as an independent entity all by itself, we have to learn to "accommodate" another entity and that would require adjustments/ forced modifications and therefore pains.

c) It is Omnipotent and has the power of MAyA. So, creation is never a big deal. Its "Dream" is the most powerful one, capable of creating endless entities and worlds ... why do you need anything else for your fear of "loneliness"?

d) That state is full of freedom. Enjoy that freedom if you reach that state.

I will tell you a story from my own life. During my student life, a group of my friends were preparing for highly prestigious competitive exam. My friends came to me and asked me to fill form for that exam. I was not sure, if I wanted to take up a job which that exam was to offer on success. I said, "What will I do if I am successful ? I am not sure, if I wanted to join that". My friends laughed at me. "You are crazy ! People are dying to be successful in that exam and here you are anxious over what you would do after being successful ? You are free do decide after being successful in that exam. If you find that it doesn't suit you, leave it. However, there are hardly any instances when people have left it or regretted after being successful. The real problem lies in being successful in that Exam and better concentrate on that." That was a good piece of advice.

So, that same situation is here too. People do all sorts of tapas lives after lives to attain Self-realisation and here you are bothered on a hypothetical situation which would arise after succeeding in Self-realisation ! My dear friend, why not succeed in achieving it first ? There is not a single instance where anyone who has attained Self-realisation has regretted over it !!

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thank you Yajvan. I look forward to your commentary.

Devotee: thank you. that is a very apt and helpful story. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with enlightenment.

I will think of these things if the concern comes up in my contemplation again.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté shays860

Please consider this post/string. I think it will be of use. It says everything I'd offer here in this post to answer your question:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=12585

note the definitions given and how some posts compare and contrast the notion of dvaita and advaita to pūrṇapātrapratibhaṭa (fullness or a full vessel) .

This I where the conversation must lead you... to beyond the notion of 1 & 2 , but to that of wholeness. After read it, please post your questions and we will address them.

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear shays860 ji,

Being alone does not mean one is Lonely.
    Being alone , with the feeling that "I am lonely" is lonely!

Do you feel lonely in your deep sleep ? You do not !

Anyways , that Alone-ness is in the presence of all company! It is something to be discovered. One does not find that Kaivalyam by dropping company...
    Presence or absence of company does not indeed matter.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thread Information