Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Gita version

Re: Best Gita version

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear kamaferro ji,
    Please do not just glance through. Study with your heart and soul in it.

Love!
    Silence
    Hari Om of course Silence otherwise no use Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silence_speaks View Post
    Dear kamaferro ji,
    Please do not just glance through. Study with your heart and soul in it.

Love!
    Silence

I read this book VEdanta Treatise of Parthasarathy ok simple a bookshop in India suggested to read. If we are Divine, I think that is the essence of VEdanta than we should have the qualities attributed to God. I ask you do you pray, do you believe there is a supreme reality called God the creator or what ? For me very confusing because I always believed in God whatever form and even Vedanta followers pray to God, Shiva, Ganesh whatever. So please explain all this confusion, we come from God but how to be God, then we pray to ourselves. Prayers are powerful, miracles exists who does it we ? Thanks quite confused

The best Gita translation is the one you love to read. There are many good ones besides that, as well. Some are free for download.

Personally, I favor Swami Sivananda's more abstract and Advaitic rendition. However, I also adore Prabhupada's Dvaitic streak. I read both versions, alternately.

I have been reading the Gita for almost two years and am nearly finished with the first time through! I'm very happy to study Krishna's philosophy. I would like to memorize it someday (or maybe just a chapter).

All the best!
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Smile Re: Best Gita version

Personally, I consider the Holy Gita of Swami Chinmayananda as the most appropriate interpretation for our time.

We also have a learning tool containing the English translation from this book.

Georg Feuerstein's Bhagavad Gita is by far the best I have come across.

Namaskāra to all,

Many thanks for posting here to give different perspectives on different versions of the BG. I have As It is, Winthrop Edition, and a version with the commentary of Śri Śaṅkarācārya. I will read these three over the course of the years. Many thanks for the Aṣṭāvakra and the Uddhava Gitas, as I did not know they existed. I have them, now.

Bhagavad Gita As It is is best for beginners. (Theistic version)

Additionally you can also read Swami Sivananda's translation, its good too.

Namaste Ash,

What does that mean when you say that BG As It Is is a theistic version? Please explain what that means as compared to other more traditional versions.

Edit: Swami Sivananda's BG version appears to be a very abridged version of only 154 pages. I want the full story.

Praṇāma

Quote Originally Posted by deafAncient View Post
    Namaste Ash,

What does that mean when you say that BG As It Is is a theistic version? Please explain what that means as compared to other more traditional versions.

Edit: Swami Sivananda's BG version appears to be a very abridged version of only 154 pages. I want the full story.

Praṇāma
    Namaste deafAncient

Swami Prabhupada's translation and Commentary(detailed) are Theistic ie, more Devotional, Bhakti Oriented. Even Sri Madhva's version was kinda similar too (Though i've only read a few verses from his Gita bhasya). Some may find Prabhupada's aggressive refutations (attacks) on Mayavada/Advaita Philosophy disturbing, leaving that aside, its fine.

I believe both are good for beginners.

Hare Krishna

Namaste deafAncient,

Prabhupada gives more emphasis on Devotinal Service to Krishna as Supreme Personality of Godhead, his commentaries(quite detailed) are more bhakti oriented.

Thread Information