Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

Re: Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Iam by no means an expert regarding the higher aspects of Sanatana Dharma, somany members of this forum are adepts and masters in this regard who can givethe proper response. But as a simpledevotee of both Shiva and Vishnu, as well as Devi of course, I come from thepoint of view of being a simple devotee and having heard the Gita, Ramayana,Puranas, Vedas and so on from Hindu friends and teachers I am inspired and in factit is these revelations from such histories and sacred texts that inspire mylove for Bhagavan and Mahadeva.

Take the example of the sacred tirtha, the holy and magic place called Varanasi. I have been to Kashi and my request is thatwhen I die that my ashes be thrown into the Ganga at Manikarnika.

Now at this very place, there is a Kund or pool which Vishnu cut with his disc
    SudarshanaChakra and is sacred – called the Manikarnika Kund.This pond is said to be older than Ganga according to what I have beentaught. The word Manikarnika meansJewel(ed) (mani) ear(ring) (karnika). Itis not far from Manikarnika Ghat. NowVishnu declared this entire area possessing a divine light, thus it is Kashi orLight. And Kashi is the never forsakenplace of Lord Shiva. You see, Vishnuloved Lord Shiva and being a great devotee of Mahadeva, there is a reason it iscalled Manikarnika and it involved Lord Vishnu.

When Lord Shiva came upon the holy tirtha (ford, cross over, sacred door) ofthis Kund and this place, which in fact was in honor of Shiva, at that moment Mahadevawas so filled with devotion upon seeing Vishnu that he literally shook. You know, if you are ever in the presence ofa savant, this may happen to you as well, you do not even imagine you wouldhave such a reaction but it indeed happens where literally you can feelyourself shake and it is very strange and almost embarrassing, yet you know ithas something to do with being in the presence of something very special. So the Lord shook and His earring fell.

So this is the place where Lord Shiva’s earring fell. Shiva shook with happiness when Vishnurequested “that the Lord always dwell here”. So you see, Vishnu worshipped Shiva, and Shiva worshipped Vishnu.

Let us take the example of the Ramayana. I am a devotee of Lord Ram, who is the same Vishnu and Krishna, who cameto the Earth before Krishna came. As youmay know, beloved Sita was kidnapped by the Rakshasa Ravana. Joined by Hanuman (who is Shiva) and a hostof monkeys and bears, Lord Rama marched to Lanka (Sri Lanka) where Ravana wasthe Hierophant and King – they crossed over a bridge which they constructedfrom India to Lanka, and I have been taught that Lord Rama installed a ShivaLingam before this bridge where puja was offered upon His return from Lanka toIndia. Yet, I havealso been taught that Ravan was a devotee of Shiva,but Lord Ram loved Shiva so much despite the fact that a devotee of Mahadeva wasalso the very one who abducted Mother Sita.

I was also told that in fact not only upon the return of the Armies was aLingam constructed, but before crossing the bridge to Lanka that a Lingam wasput in place as well. And that, whileRavana had may vimanas (flying machines) which he could have used to destroythe bridge, and had intelligence that it was constructed, yet Ravana did notsend these vimanas out. Why? I am told that being a great devotee of LordShiva, he would not do so because there was this Lingam at that place and notwanting to destroy the Lingam so the bridge was left in place. Where true or not, there are many examples ofthe love between, and the devotion between, Shiva and Vishnu, between thedevotees of each to each other.

Vishveshwara is the Lord.
    The waves of Ganga are His wine.
    Vishvanatha is the Lord of Kashi.
    Never Forsaken, Kashi is the Light.

Oh I wish this moment,
    I could be in Kashi.
    Where all the Gods have Come,
    Together to be One.
    Namaste Shiva Fan:

I loved your beautiful words of devotion for my beloved Lord Shiva, which were moist with the nectar of a heart full of worship. I especially loved your stanzas regarding Vishveshwara, the Lord of Never Forsaken Kashi. May I ask, did you write these lines? If not, may I ask who wrote them?

Aum Namah Shivaya.

Pranam,
    jnana shiva
    jnanananda.com

"At the still point, there the dance is" -T.S. Elliot

Namaste Adi:

I too had some difficulties sorting out my devotion to Lord Shiva and Lord Krishna when I was newly converted.

I love both, truly, and of course, for they are different aspects of the supreme Lord, who I know as Paramashiva (Kashmir Shaivism), and is known to many as Brahman.

I think it is helpful to recognize that there are times when our hearts become more tender in our love for God. When you have just converted is of course one of those times.

Shiva the compassionate knows this. He offers you only love as you find what is "right" in your heart to worship Him best. He will take great pleasure in your mutual feelings of worship for Lord Krishna, who as the avatar of Supreme Lord Vishnu is made from the same great and transcendent Lord of all.

Pranam,
    jnana shiva

He who is one,
    He who dispenses
    The inherent needs
    Of all people and all times,
    He who is the beginning
    Of all things, may He unite
    Us in the bond
    Of goodwill

~Rigveda
    jnanananda.com

"At the still point, there the dance is" -T.S. Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by Vitani View Post
    Namaste,

Gah. Please do not compare my beloved Shiva with the blood loving Allah of Islam.
    Vannakam: I did not. I was comparing the beliefs of Sanatana Dharma and Islam. Not the gods.
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Well, i don't know much about interdependency but both are same. Although it is good for u that you are going for both. As i said in previous post, shiva is feeling. What i feel for shiva is different than for krishna. And as they say when u pray for shiva,u will also get attention of vishnu.
    Sambasadashivaya Namah

Namaste.

Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva worship each other. They are good friends.

It can be said that devotees made it this way to try and convert Shaivites into Vaishnavas and vice-versa and that may be the case.

That being said, when one is a devotee of Lord Shiva, they don't care about who else worships Him, as long as they (personally) do.

About ISKCON vs Shaivism....that's like comparing apples and oranges.

They are both fruit, meaning they are branches of Hinduism, but they both look and taste totally different and it all boils down to which you prefer to eat.

People who like apples will tell you that oranges taste disgusting....even though you may like oranges and disagree.

I was praying to Lord Shiva and Lord Krishna before...until my Guru-ji said to me "If you place each foot in a separate boat, you'll fall in the water'.

You have to choose which 'side' to be on. You must also respect those who wish to stay on the other side.

It is not better or worse...just 'different'.

Aum Namah Shivaya

6. Re: Did Shiva worship Krishna or Krishna worship Shiva

Maybe they worshiped each other, out of respect for one another.
    Krishna is an avatar of Vishnu, who is one of Shiva's best friends, and another aspect of him. When Sati died and Shiva was furious, but Vishnu managed to calm him. That alone shows their love and friendship for each other.
    Maybe Shiva worshiped Krishna out of love for Vishnu, and Vishnu worshiped Shiva out of love for him.
    Unlike us, Vishnu and Shiva don't have egos. They don't have to be stronger than the other.

When it comes to "different" Gods worshipping eachother, I look at it as a sign of their oneness. Shiva worships Vishnu, Vishnu worships Shiva, they both worship Shakti and Shakti worships them, on and on etc. I see that as a sign of the oneness behind the Gods. They are all the same, just expressions of Divine Consciousness playing with it's Power, which through our eyes becomes our reality but is really the Divine Lila.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Arav View Post
    When it comes to "different" Gods worshipping eachother, I look at it as a sign of their oneness. Shiva worships Vishnu, Vishnu worships Shiva, they both worship Shakti and Shakti worships them, on and on etc. I see that as a sign of the oneness behind the Gods. They are all the same, just expressions of Divine Consciousness playing with it's Power, which through our eyes becomes our reality but is really the Divine Lila.
    How does one deity worshipping another indicate oneness? If they are truly the same, then there is no need for one to worship the other... as that would be self-worship.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    How does one deity worshipping another indicate oneness? If they are truly the same, then there is no need for one to worship the other... as that would be self-worship.
    1. It shows an equality.
    2. I accept Advaitavada. Therefore any form of worship is ultimately Self worship.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Arav View Post
    1. It shows an equality.
    If one text says that A worships B, and another text says that B worships A, it is not reconciliatory of both texts to say that A = B. Especially when the first text said that A is supreme and B is not supreme, while the second text said that B is supreme and A is not supreme. This is merely elementary logic, not a sectarian position.

2. I accept Advaitavada. Therefore any form of worship is ultimately Self worship.
    That's actually not what Advaita says. Adi shankarAchArya, the authority on Advaita philosophy and the author of the Advaita commentary on the Vedanta-sutras, distinguishes between Brahman and other devas in his Vedanta-commentary, his commentary on the Kena Upanishad, and in several places in his Bhagavad-gita commentary.

regards,
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information