Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal experiences in Yoga practise?

Re: Personal experiences in Yoga practise?

Vannakkam: One thing here http://www.yogabusinessacademy.com/2...yoga-industry/ really caught my eye. Number 4 ... the number of people who practice yoga in the US increased by 25% per year. That's just amazing. I also thionk we have a tendency top lump them (yoga studios) all together, when as Vasa has said with 50 people, 50 answers, it has to be diverse. I also think its leaning more and more towards a more non-exercise meditative view. We passes one in a small town called Sadhana Yoga. A almost felt like dropping by.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: One thing here http://www.yogabusinessacademy.com/2...yoga-industry/ really caught my eye. Number 4 ... the number of people who practice yoga in the US increased by 25% per year. That's just amazing. I also thionk we have a tendency top lump them (yoga studios) all together, when as Vasa has said with 50 people, 50 answers, it has to be diverse. I also think its leaning more and more towards a more non-exercise meditative view. We passes one in a small town called Sadhana Yoga. A almost felt like dropping by.

Aum Namasivaya

You would be AMAZED at how many people at the office have the experiece of Vasa, and among people we meet, who have this interest in yoga, of which so many are springing up, as a first step to yet a deeper yearning, and then they later step towards Hinduism. One example was a supervisor at work. There was a new and very thriving Yoga Center, complete with Indian temple look to the building, that opened just a few streets away.

And now, in the same area I just had the most amazing discovery! Literally both my wife and myself were stunned. There before our eyes were two residential streets where new homes are being built.

One street was called RAM. The other was called SITA.

I am not kidding when I say, it really took my breath away, it was sort of hard to hold back the tears.

Yoga even if taught as a secular way, is bringing Westerners to Hinduism. Just like Vasa.

I hope they will be welcomed. They are coming.
    Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by mradam83 View Post
    Namaste.

If this is extremely basic and silly my apologies.

However, I have been wondering lately about Yoga. I understand that Yoga has been "borrowed" by the west as a secular and non-religious health practise to the extent that most of the religious elements are purposely removed.
    Yoga involving physical postures, besides a few seated positions, is called Hatha Yoga, and in its modern form it has not been "borrowed" by the west, it has been developed by a small group of Hindus that have been dedicated to explore the health and spiritual benefits of the postures and breath control and meditations of traditional Hatha Yoga.

There are only very few notable personalities that have developed modern Hatha Yoga, first of all Swami Kuvalayananda of Lonavla, then Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya and his disciple BKS Iyengar, Pattabhi Jois, and also Swami Shivananda his disciples Vishnudevananda, Satyananda Sarasvati from Bihar school of Yoga and Dhirendra Brahmachari and his disciples.

All of the different schools or modern "traditions" of Hatha Yoga existing in the west and east, ultimately all go back to one of these people.

At the time Hatha Yoga was beginning to be popularised, (in the 1920ies) with a focus on the mental and health benefits, this method was in bad repute, and still partly is frownend upon by some Hindus, because it was only practised by itinerant mendicants and ascetics, mostly of the Dasnami and Ramanadi orders of Sadhus, that were looked down upon as drug addicts and beggars by mainstream Hinduism, and Hatha Yoga is denigrated as merely a physical exercise without much spiritual benefits. But the Hatha Yoga did not originate from the Dasnami and Ramanadi orders but the origin of Hatha Yoga goes back to the Nath order of Yogis, and was only assimilated into the other orders of ascetics, and is nowadays rarely practised by the original teachers of this system.
    I am wondering how a true Hindu learns Yoga? Is it something taught by a Guru or Sadhu say in a temple to devotees?
    It is traditonally in our time taught mainly to Dasnami and Ramanadi sadhus and still a few Nath Yogis as part of their ascetic lifestyle, but not taught to the lay public. A lay hindu wanting to learn Hatha Yoga would also go to a teacher of Yoga who could ultimately be traced back to one of the founders of modern yoga, that i mentioned above, just like any westerner.
    How does it differ from commercial and secular Yoga?
    Modern Hatha Yoga has been improved by adding innovative postures, (sometimes even adapted from western gymnastic sources), lots of research has also gone into verifying medical and mental benefits of the postures and breath control, and meditations by scientifc means, also harmful practices have been eliminated, Krishnamacharya for instance added his knowledge of Ayurveda. His disciple Iyengar is perfecting the anatomical knowledge, while Kuvalyanandas effort was to put yoga on a sound medical and scientifc basis and integrate it into broader efforts to improve health and mental benefits for the whole society for instance promoting teaching it in schools, while Shivananda developed an universal system of yoga that included bhakti and Vedanta that was open for all castes and races in a non traditional way. The focus is of course on improving health and mental stability, development of insight, purity, relaxation and clarity of mind for everybody and not so much on other more extreme aspects of Hatha Yoga, that are more fitting for a mendicant (tapasvin) lifestyle of the sadhu.

I will be honest, I don't quite understand how Yoga fits into Hinduism so I'm hoping a bit of insight can help me find out.

Thanks all, and again apologies if this comes across as basic.
    No not at all i hope i could help, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also i like to refer you to a recent posting: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...6&postcount=13
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 02 August 2012 at 06:39 AM.

Re: How does a Hindu learn and practise Yoga?

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    The physical yoga practice that we know in the West is only a hollowed-out version of something much deeper.
    That is not doing justice to the dedication and sincerity of the founders of modern Hatha Yoga and their earnest and devoted disciples in east and west. Please inform yourself about the work and life of people like Swami Kuvalayanada, Krishnamacharya, Iyengar, Shivananda and others who laid the foundation of modern Hatha Yoga before you accuse others of hollowing out a tradition. They were interested to benefit lay persons and therefore it was necessary to adapt the practises of ascetics to the needs of a householder,
    Western yoga studios teach these poses for fitness only, eliminating the sacred elements intrinsic to them, and arguing that "yoga" belongs to the world and is not specifically "Hindu."
    This is not correct, most certified teachers of Yoga have been through a sound education, based on the principles that have been established by knowledgable people like Kuvalayanada, Shivananda, Iyengar or Krishnamacharya and others. Modern Hatha Yoga is not only about fitness. It is true though that modern Hatha Yoga is non sectarian and practice is not restricted by birth, caste, race or creed. But this is nothing new, modern or western, it has been the case since the very beginning of that tradition.

You and other Hindus that follow an orthodox vedantic achara may dislike the tradition of non sectarian Yoga, and the non casteist attitude of the ancient Siddhas and modern Hatha Yoga practicioners, who, even if they do not belong to that lineage, have nonetheless, to a great part, based their practice on the ancient shastras of Natha Yoga .

We do respect this opinion, but ask you to also respect that we dislike to submit to your rules and all off a sudden start discriminating between people based on gender, color, creed or caste and if we stick to our tradition, face vile verbal attacks by Hindus who look at these things from another viewpoint. Most of those that attack modern hatha yoga have never in their whole life practised a single Asana, they probably wouldn´t be able to do so, but they are fairly well able to pontificate about the shallowness. So what is your experience with Hatha Yoga? Oh well, i forgot we have to open a new thread for that

Hatha Yoga, originating from the Nath parampara was always non sectarian, it is not at all casteist like the vedic tradition. It did not know any creed, race, caste or gender restrictions, the practice never was restricted to a certain religion, not at the time of the founders and not today. Already at the time when Hatha yoga was formulated, Nath Yogis, besides Hindus also freely taught Buddhists , Muslims, Taoists and Confuzians. The Siddhas like Gorakshanatha, Matsyendranath, Virupa etc. are revered still today as saints by Buddhists, Hindus, Taoists and Muslims. Natha Siddhas were also worshipped as taoist immortal masters of Yoga in China, and as Pirs in muslim regions , or buddhist tantric masters in the Himalayas. The non sectarian nature of Hatha Yoga is nothing new, it is not western, instead it is based on the age old principles of non sectarianism of the Siddha Yoga parampara of the Nath Order.

Hatha Yoga, like other methods of yoga, can be practiced by all, regardless of sex, caste, class, or creed. Many texts explicitly state that it is practice
    alone that leads to success. Sectarian affiliation and philosophical inclination are of no importance. The texts of Hatḥa Yoga, with some exceptions,
    do not include teachings on metaphysics or sect specific practices. To speak of “yoga philosophy” is to miss the point: yoga is a practical discipline
    aimed at attaining liberation. If duly practiced, it will work, irrespective of the practitioner’s beliefs.
    The lack of sectarianism in texts on yoga has made them readily adoptable by traditions other than those of their authors. Thus texts composed in a
    Nāth milieu could be used to compile the later Yoga Upanisạds, and others were translated intoPersian to satisfy Mughal interest in yoga.

Hatha Yoga James Mallison.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 01 August 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Namaste Maha,
    Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    This is not correct, .......
    You accuse me of forgetting to take my daily Prozac, what happened to YOU today?
    The Admin forgot to tell us that he had appointed you as the final arbiter of yoga issues in this forum. Please don't try to lord over poor, meek Hindus with your high handedness.

Pranam.

PS, Western Hath Yoga = One legged downward facing dog, dog dancer pose, downward facing dog move and more.
    Last edited by Believer; 01 August 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste Maha,

You accuse me of forgetting to take my daily Prozac, what happened to YOU today?
    The Admin forgot to tell us that he had appointed you as the final arbiter of yoga issues in this forum. Please don't try to lord over poor, meek Hindus with your high handedness.

Pranam.
    Not only in this forum but up to and above Brahma Loka. I am the arbiter.

Namaste,

Nah, just leave the forum members alone. Go and try to kick some butt in Brahmaloka and above, so you would know what you are made of.

Pranam.

Vannakkan:

What's a loka?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkan:

What's a loka?

Aum Namasivaya
    A world, a level of existence same linguistic root as in english location or latin "Locus"

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    PS, Western Hath Yoga = One legged downward facing dog, dog dancer pose, downward facing dog move and more.
    There is no explicit "western" modern Hatha Yoga, what is taught in the west has been developed and inspired by either Swami Kuvalayananda of Lonavla, Sri Tirumalai Krishnamacharya and his disciple BKS Iyengar and Pattabhi Jois, Swami Shivananda and Dhirendra Brahmachari and their respective disciples from the east or west.

Why is that so? Why are the teachers of Hatha Yoga so few? Because the practice of Hatha Yoga has almost died out in India at that time!

There exists no other modern Hatha Yoga on this planet that does not go back to one or the other of these Gurus or their disciples. Traditional Hatha Yoga is restricted to Sadhu Orders, except for a handful western Nath Sannyasins that began to teach lay people mainly in eastern europe.

If you don´t like western Hatha Yoga you would not like Indian Hatha Yoga because it is the same procedure, sometimes taught by the same and sometimes by other disciples of the same Gurus, just happening in a different location.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 02 August 2012 at 08:05 AM.

Thread Information