Thread: Kama Deva

Kama Deva

Namaste,
    Is Kama Deva purely the god of love or more accurately attraction? What is the sanskrit base term for his nature? I've always wondered this, because if it is ''love'' in general, or even ''attraction'';

then, Kama Deva, can be prayed for to attract situations that help induce:

Dharma, Moksha, Prosperity

to fall in love with:

Life, Your True Self, Dharma,

& so forth.

Am I right?

Post Re: Kama Deva

Kama according to Sanskrit dictionary means more than physical attraction.Kama could also mean desire for an different objects.Sri Kamadeva is indeed the God of Love.For example,those desiring Moksha worship Sri Parvati Devi or Sri Vishnu etc.Those desiring wealth worship Sri Lakshmi and those who wish to be successful in educational pursuits worship Sri Saraswati.Now you might wonder why can't one God grant everything?The Sages of The VEDAS have envisioned different Devatas for different purposes but keeping in mind that all Devas are manifestations of one essence.This in discussed in Upanishads and is known as Vedanta.

"Akashat patitam toyam sagaram prati gacchati, sarva deva namaskaram Keshavam prati gacchati"
    ("All the water fallen from the sky goes to the sea, salutations to all the gods reaches to the one Lord")

But devotees are often attracted to one form of God and worship that form.This concept is known as Ishta Devata i.e. favorite deity.Often it is observed that these people worship only their favorite god and develop an intimate relationship with that deity.Some approach different gods based on the occasion.

Can Sri Vishnu replace Sri Saraswati,yes and no.Yes because he takes the form of Sri Hayagriva,similarly Sri Shiva takes DakshinaMurthy form.All the three are gods of Knowledge,arts and music.It is up to the devotee to choose which form he likes.(Vedic Democracy I guess )

Sri Kamadeva is a Vedic deity and is invoked in many hymns of the Vedas.You could do further search and discover the prayers addressed to him.Due to the incidents in Puranas he is less invoked nowadays but that doesn't mean he is absent,he is performing his actions unknown to people.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-lwVe_5xAu3...ikicommons.jpg

Re: Kama Deva

Namaste!

I'm a newbie to Hinduism, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

A book on Shakti (by Vanamali) has the following definition for kama: selfish love; infatuation with and desire for material things. Wouldn't that indicate that Kama Deva is associated with that kind of love?

Shiva was disturbed from His tapas by an arrow from Kama Deva. Maybe this indicates that Kama Deva can be an active obstacle in spiritual practice? I mean, if Shiva was disturbed, what does that mean for us mortals. . . .

Take a look at this page here: http://vedabase.net/k/kama. I think you're looking for the kama with the macron (bar) over the first "a".

Senebty, may you be healthy.
    All these things shine.
    May you shine, too!

Namaste, I am aware of the puranic stories of Kama Deva and so forth. I'm still confused regarding the initial question posed in the OP.
    Also : I'm sure that is incorrect to (some degree?) I can't wrap my head around the fact that a deity would plunge you deeper into the material world for no good reason. Unless you're asking for it I suppose.

Kama could simply mean 'desire' in Samskrtam.However,Kama Deva symbolizes love and attraction.His wife is Rati Devi who symbolizes sexual love or enjoyment.

Mother Kali is beyond Kama and Rati.

(Rati and Kama are depicted in sexual union)

I wonder what is the difference between Kama and Moha though,are they the same?
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Namaste,

"Kaam" = Desire. However, Kaamdeva is not associated with all desires but mostly to love between opposite sexes and beauty. The attraction it evokes is basically towards beauty and sex.

"Kaam and Moha"

As I said above, "kaam" means desire. "Moha" means delusion. Arising of "Kaam" gives rise to "Moha". In fact, Moha too can give rise to "Kaam" ... so it is difficult to say which was born first, although "Desire" is said to be the root-cause of the samsaara i.e. all delusion.

"Kaam, Moha and Krodha (anger/mental agitation)" are called the three doors to hell/naraka.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Sri Devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post

"Kaam and Moha"

As I said above, "kaam" means desire. "Moha" means delusion. Arising of "Kaam" gives rise to "Moha". In fact, Moha too can give rise to "Kaam" ... so it is difficult to say which was born first, although "Desire" is said to be the root-cause of the samsaara i.e. all delusion.

"Kaam, Moha and Krodha (anger/mental agitation)" are called the three doors to hell/naraka.

OM
    Thank you so much for the explanation !
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Namaste everyone, thankyou for your phenomenal input.
    Devotee is my deduction in OP incorrect then?
    & what positivity does Kama Deva prayer manifest?

Namaste IC,

Quote Originally Posted by IcyCosmic View Post
    Devotee is my deduction in OP incorrect then?
    & what positivity does Kama Deva prayer manifest?
    Kaamdeva is rarely worshiped by Hindus of today but he was certainly worshiped in ancient times. Kammdeva gets mention in Rig Veda and Atharva Veda. According to Rig Veda, Kaama was the root-cause of creation. Kaamdeva has temples and has mantras and stotras for worshiping him. However, he is worshiped mainly for health, beauty, husband, wife,son, sexual love etc.

Kaamdeva is generally seen as an obstacle for achieving higher level of spirituality as he is the agitator of mind (Manmatha). All desires being fulfilled by this deity are worldly desires of lower level. According to PuaraaNa, Lord Shiva burnt him to ashes when he tried to arise sexual desire in Him and after that he is also known as "Ananga" i.e. who is without a body. Pradyumna, the son of Lord Krishna and Mother Rukmini is called an incarnation of Kaamdeva.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information