Thread: The position of Sri Brahamnaspati/Brhaspati in the Rig Veda.

The position of Sri Brahamnaspati/Brhaspati in the Rig Veda.

Pranam dear brothers & sisters,

Sri Brahmanaspati/Brhaspati,as you might know is the "Lord of prayers" since the term Brahman can also refer to the sacred prayer in early Vedic usage.He is the Acharya of the Gods,and often symbolizes the Brahmana varna.

Now,i'll go straight to my question.Does Brahmanaspati enjoy a creator rank along with Prajapati/Hiranyagarbha/Purusha/Visvakarman etc?

I came across a sloka from Rg Veda,which might extol Brahmanaspati's rank in Rg Veda as a creator deity.

Here i provide both Samskrta and English versions of the sloka:

bráhmaNas pátir etÁ sáM karmÁra ivAdhamat
    devÁnAm pUrvyé yugé asataH sád ajAyata

These Brahmanaspati produced with blast and smelting, like a Smith, Existence, in an earlier age of Gods, from Non-existence sprang.

From Rg Veda 10.72.2
    Correct me if i'm wrong,but in this sloka,Brahmanspati is said to have created existence out of non-existence like a smith.In Nasadiya sukta,this description is given to "The One".And in Brahmanas,it is given to Prajapati .

Does this mean that Brahmanaspati is also a creator deity like Prajapati?

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Dhanyavada.
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Re: The position of Sri Brahamnaspati/Brhaspati in the Rig Veda.

Bump ಥ_ಥ !
    "Only one is the fire,which is inflamed in numerous ways.Only one is the sun, which pervades the whole universe.Only one is the dawn,which illuminates all things. Similarly,all that exists is The One and it has manifested into everything here.”

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aryavartian View Post
    Now,i'll go straight to my question.Does Brahmanaspati enjoy a creator rank along with Prajapati/Hiranyagarbha/Purusha/Visvakarman etc?

Does this mean that Brahmanaspati is also a creator deity like Prajapati?
    Namaste,

Almost every single Shri Deva/Devi invoked in the Shri Rg-Veda "enjoys" a creator rank.

Indeed. Brahmanaspati is the creator god .He should be invoked with utmost respect. We respect and worship the all the Vedic devas with utmost sincerity even if some of them are not identified as creators. We possess faith(shraddha) in karma kanda or Vedic rituals . Poor monotheist has only one god , while we have 33
    Last edited by Alter ego; 15 January 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post
    Namaste,

Almost every single Shri Deva/Devi invoked in the Shri Rg-Veda "enjoys" a creator rank.
    Pranam Sudas bro,

Are you certainly sure about that?I think only the Prajapati or Hiranyagarbha is the supreme creator deity as said in Hiranyagarbha sukta.Prajapati's another aspect is Purusha Narayana(representing male) and Viraj(representing female).Yet another aspect is Visvakaraman literally "all doer".I was wondering if Brahmanspati is someway related to Prajapati in creation activities.

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Quote Originally Posted by Aryavartian View Post
    Pranam Sudas bro,

Are you certainly sure about that?I think only the Prajapati or Hiranyagarbha is the supreme creator deity as said in Hiranyagarbha sukta.Prajapati's another aspect is Purusha Narayana(representing male) and Viraj(representing female).Yet another aspect is Visvakaraman literally "all doer".I was wondering if Brahmanspati is someway related to Prajapati in creation activities.
    Namaste,

Each Sukta is supreme as it is being recited during a yajna. So, if a Sukta dedicated to Shri Agni is being recited, Shri Agni is supreme ATM. Same with any other Shri God/Goddess being recited. Sometimes, when many Shri Gods/Goddesses are eulogized together due to various Sukta-s praising them together at the same time, then they are supreme ATM. Thus, theologically, Shrutic-wise, the indication of being supreme at any given time, since the universal, cosmic power resides in the Sukta-s, makes many Shri Gods/Goddesses "enjoy" the rank of creator(s).

...or, are you talking about "creator Gods" similar to the concept of the Abrahamic God?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudas Paijavana View Post

...or, are you talking about "creator Gods" similar to the concept of the Abrahamic God?
    Sudas bro,i was precisely talking about this.Prajapati/Purusha is the creator God in Vedas,i needed to know if Brahmanaspati is related to Prajapati/Purusha.

The reference to Prajapati occurs in the late Hiranyagarbha sukta of 10th Mandala....but hymns of this sukta occurs in other Vedas like Yajurveda and Atharva Veda as well,even Brahmana texts quote them.So it means that this sukta is a highly revered sukta,like Purusha sukta and Nasadiya sukta.

~ Rg Veda 8.58.2

Thread Information