Thread: Should I use a Sanskrit, or English mantra when using a japa mala?

Should I use a Sanskrit, or English mantra when using a japa mala?

Blessings all,

I am new to Japa meditation, and I am looking for a mantra to use.

I have used the Hare Krishna mantra, as well as other Sanskrit mantras, and I have also used English mantras.

When using English mantras, such as I am, or Love, or Lord, bless me with your energy, I feel as if I can be more sincere, and more passionate.

When using Sanskrit mantras, I still feel great and still feel devotional, but I do not feel as if I can be as passionate and true since the words are so foreign to me right now. I am assuming this will change with time?

Also, I am not really sure what Sanskrit mantra to use. Is there a more universal one that works for you?

Thank you.

W Tyler

Re: Should I use a Sanskrit, or English mantra when using a japa mala?

Vannakkam WTyler: Traditionally we use Sanskrit, but your post makes a lot of sense to really feel what you are doing. As you may have guessed, there are no hard and fast rules. Sometimes mantra can just be interpreted as 'sound' . The mantra A.U.M for example is said to be the combination of all sound, and as such has no specific English equivalent. Personally, I use Sanskrit in japa, but English in prayer as I feel that the Gods are reading my mind, and since I cannot think in Sanskrit, there is no other choice.

Welcome to these forums, BTW, and just keep doing what you feel is correct.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you so much, Eastern Mind.

The gods reading your mind is a good way to think of it, and I am sure it will become easier once I am more familiar with the mantras.

I think I will continue to do Sanskrit mantras and pray in English. I just do not feel as if I am comfortable enough in my practice to pray mantras with all my heart. When I say mantras to Krishna I want to feel as if I am saying my mantra to "love" and the love of God, but right now I just feel better simply repeating love, or I am gods love.

I assume this will come in time.

Blessings,

Tyler

Also, what is this that I hear regarding being initiated into certain mantras, so they are useless?

namaste WTyler.

The definition of a mantra is:
    "mananAt trayate iti mantra"
    manana--thinking, reflection, meditation; trayata--protect.

"When reflected/contemplated/meditated/chanted, it protects, that is mantra."

Generally, any language can be used for litany and meditation, and one's mother tongue is always the best since it is the closest, with the only requirement that the words used evoke the right spiritual truths and connections without unnecessary worldly associations.

For example, reflection on the words 'I am' should evoke the knowledge, feeling and finally the realization 'I am That'--tat tvam asi, or ahaM brahmAsmi, and not let the mind digress to the worldly roles that I am involved in. Similar is the case with the other phrases of reflection you have indicated: that is, they must convey the transcendental spiritual truths to the mind and have the power to retain the meandering mind on them.

Sanskrit mantras, even if their meanings are not understood, have this power of spirituality behind them in a way that is natural and inherent, the only requirement being that the pronunciation be right. If the meaning of the words is known, the mantra's power increases exponentially, because the sAdhaka--seeker, now refelects on the words, meanings and their spiritual associations.

Some universal Sanskrit mantras:

ahaM brahmAsmi -- "I am Brahman."
    tat tvam asi -- "That thou art".
    gAyatrI mantra -- http://www.mantraonnet.com/mantras-u...#gayatrimantra

AUM asato mA sadgamaya |
    tamaso mA jyotirgamaya |
    mRutyor mA amRutam gamaya |
    AUM shAntiH shAntiH shAntiH ||

"Lead me from untruth to Truth;
    Take me from darkness to light;
    from death to immortality;
    May there be peace in all the three worlds."

lokA samasta sukhino bhavantu -- "May all the world rest in happiness."

There are many other universal mantras, but they are rather long, so I have provided only the shorter ones that are easy to memorize and chant.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information