Thread: Prambanan, central Java, 9th century- photos

Prambanan, central Java, 9th century- photos

Agastya
    Be without the three gunas, O Arjuna

Re: Prambanan, central Java, 9th century- photos

Namaste Girisha,

Thank you for the lovely pictures from the Prambanan temple. These complement mine in post #'s 48, 49 and 50 of the following link,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8449

Pranam.

Thanks Believer, that's an interesting thread and I can see your Prambanan photos on page 5. The Shiva sanctum was closed last week so it was good to find your photo, but I also had a fine afternoon in Borobudur. Both sites have little wailing mosques nervously positioned nearby, in the presence of the enormous weight of spiritual understanding, as well as stone, that the Indic monuments exude.

I called in one large mosque to pray but was pestered several times about whether I was a Muslim or not.

I'm planning a trip to South India in the summer and will have various questions before then.

Namaste Girisha,
    Quote Originally Posted by Girisha View Post
    Both sites have little wailing mosques nervously positioned nearby, in the presence of the enormous weight of spiritual understanding, as well as stone, that the Indic monuments exude.
    I totally missed that. The mosques must have been a later addition to ward off the evil effects of the Indic monuments on muslims.

Did you visit Bali also? If so, what were your observations about the fate of Hinduism in Bali? During my visit, I talked to some locals and keenly observed what was going on around me and here is my take, based on the inputs of Balinese Hindus and my visual and other sensory perceptions,

http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...17&postcount=1

Pranam.

Vannakkam: Beautiful temples, Girisha. Are there any there that are still alive, or are they all relics?

Aum Namasivaya

Hello Believer, I visited Bali 20 years ago next month, it was really exotic and fantastic, among the most memorable of all places. Like so much of the world and especially SE Asia however I'm all too aware of how it's changed and commercialized and I've no wish to go back.

Thanks for those detailed and articulate notes on the link. On this trip I only visited a couple of places on Sumatra then Jakarta and Yogyakarta, finding the country lacking in identity and a mess of influences, as I expected.

Clearly Islam is one means of national unity along with the language but I did see other religious expression, a good proportion of women without headscarves, and alcohol in shops and occasionally drunk at street bistros. I'd describe the place as dull, soulless, harmless and friendly, out on the fringes of Asia.

Eastern, I was also wondering if the Prambanan site would have Hindu priests around but no, it's just treated as a world heritage site with camera wielding idiots, and fenced off. As at Buddhist Borobudur there are a small minority of visitors who pray in front of the idols, including me.

Seeing the motive and commitment for all that stone cut, moved and sculpted must seriously put the jitters on people but Indonesia doesn't believe in itself too much anyway so I don't think they're about to dynamite those places Taliban-style.

Namaskar Girishaji,

Gorgeous pictures in this and your other thread. Thank you so much for sharing.

Pranam
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Namaste Aanandinii!

Thread Information