Thread: Help with a Puja Utensil

Red Face Help with a Puja Utensil

Vannakkam,

A few months back I received a new puja set. One of the items included is still a mystery to me. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks so much

Aum Hari Aum

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Help with a Puja Utensil

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmidevi View Post
    Vannakkam,

A few months back I received a new puja set. One of the items included is still a mystery to me. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks so much

Aum Hari Aum

Namaste.

If that utensil had holes in the top, I would think it would be a cone incense burner.

It looks like a small lota (water vessel).

Other than that, no idea.

Aum Namah Shivaya

namaste lakshmidevi

It is a container for kumkum - red vermillion powder. It is very auspicious. Have you been able to open the lid on top, and does the container look at least 1 inch deep? Then it is definitely kumkum container.
    I don't see any holes and it seems larger in proportion for an incence holder (agarbatti ghar).

Hare KRshNa ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    namaste lakshmidevi

It is a container for kumkum - red vermillion powder. It is very auspicious. Have you been able to open the lid on top, and does the container look at least 1 inch deep? Then it is definitely kumkum container.
    I don't see any holes and it seems larger in proportion for an incence holder (agarbatti ghar).

Hare KRshNa ~
    Vannakkam,

Thank you both. It's definitely not an incense burner (no holes) plus the set already has one. I thought it was for kum kum at first too but it doesn't seem to open. At least I haven't been able to get it open. Is there a special way to open it?

Aum Hari Aum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakshmidevi View Post
    I thought it was for kum kum at first too but it doesn't seem to open. At least I haven't been able to get it open. Is there a special way to open it?

Aum Hari Aum!
    If pulling the lid doesn't work, Twist it perhaps? Clockwise, if not, then anti-clockwise. If all else fails, it is perhaps just a symbol of auspiciousness, but I doubt it. I think you should contact the supplier then

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~

Oh wait a minute... I see the divine cloth strings on the side with some mantra printed on it. This means perhaps it contains some very special kumkum or ashTagandha or some such thing, as prasAd from a temple puja but to be kept on the altar, and "worshiped" with a flower, let's say.
    IT is not supposed to be opened!

You keep it there like you would keep the turtle, conch, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Oh wait a minute... I see the divine cloth strings on the side with some mantra printed on it. This means perhaps it contains some very special kumkum or ashTagandha or some such thing, as prasAd from a temple puja but to be kept on the altar, and "worshiped" with a flower, let's say.
    IT is not supposed to be opened!

You keep it there like you would keep the turtle, conch, etc.
    Vannakkam,

The mantra cloth is on my altar not the object. I think you're right though it must contain something sacred as it doesn't open. I will context the shop and see what they say. Thank you so much for all of your help

Aum Hari Aum!

That definitely looks like a holder for kum-kum powder. I haven't seen one of those in quite some time.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information