Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone done girivalam?

Has anyone done girivalam?

Namaste all,

Has anyone done girivalam at Thiruvannamalai?

I need information on best time , spots nearby , lodging information .

Thanks.

Re: Has anyone done girivalam?

Vannakkam Seeker: Have you been to India before? My answer will vary according to that.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam EM Ji,

Yes , I was born in India and lived there till I was 22 years old.

I have learnt to read Tamil also.

Vannakkam: That makes quite the difference. If you were western, and had never been to India, I'd be recommending a higher end hotel. There is quite a lot of info on line on sites like this: http://www.agasthiar.org/AUMzine/0009-basic-rules.htm There is more if you search.

I've always wanted to do it as well, but so far the opportunity has yet to present itself. As for lodging, how to get there, etc., I would recommend the travel site indiamike. Google maps, using the 'search nearby' function will give you hotels and lodges. So will Trip Advisor. By far the easiest and most convenient method to get there would be to hire a car from Chennai, which would be about R3000 'up and down', maybe less if you're a good negotiator. That was quoted to me 4 years from T'malai to Bangalore. There are also buses ... not sure on trains.

Happy pilgrimaging.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast,

Seeker, I have not made the journey myself. When in India in November, a friend and I made the arrangements for a day trip there from Pondicherry, and I became sick that morning and couldn't attend. However, he still went, and took with him a small book that I had brought: A Guide to Giripradakshina. This little volume was packed with information, describing and discussing the different paths by which one may circumambulate the mountain, as well as the different shrines and sights along the way; he tells me that it was a great help on the journey. It may be purchased from the Arunachala Ashram here.

I'm sorry that I can't speak from direct personal experience. I too hope to make the trip one day.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

I did it a couple years back. We stayed at the Ramana Ashram - contacted them by email. We did it on a full moon it is a more popular time. There are many things along the way such as the shrine where you really have to bend your body to get through but we had covered those by car earlier so we kept walking took about 3 hours. Otherwise I saw long lines. Try to prepare walking barefoot. I was not and I ended up getting boils. You can wear shoes but they say the mountain is God so it didnt feel right. Maybe you can wear some socks. Of course Thiruvannamalai is the Rishikesh of South - there is lot of Ashrams.

Namaste EM Ji, Indraneela Ji, Seeker 123 Ji

Thanks for your replies. I have read the agasthiar site - the toughest part for me will be walking with barefoot. I might pack a pair of slippers in a back pack along with biscuits & bananas.

I also found out that there is an hourly air conditioned bus service from Chennai to Thiruvannamalai. Some other contacts I have have already recommended that Ramana ashramam is the way to go.

Does any of you know whether the cave that Bhagawan meditated initially is on the route?

Thanks

No Ramana mediated inside the temple where rats crawled on him. Later he lived in the cave and later Skanda Ashram but both are on the mountain and not the path which is around and level ground.

Tidbit - when you walk the path there are some new pavement and lights provided by famous actor Rajnikanth after his movie Arunachalam....

I dont think you need to carry any food as it is only 3 hours unless you stop at each temple (and there may be crowds). Plus there are lots of vendors, you can have coconut water. Try the full moon day night. It is cooler, my sister walked during the day and the sun and hot tar make a deadly combination....

Namaste Seeker123 Ji,

The Agasthiar link provided by EM Ji had a request to pack biscuits & bananas , so that these could be offered to dogs , monkeys & cattle along the way. The site also recommends a slow walk (like a full term pregnant woman!) instead of a brisk walk.

The full moon walks seems crowded and the day time walks may be hot and tiring. I may do a 'near full moon walk' in the late evening.

Thanks for your reply.

Thread Information