Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hindu and the medical community

Smile Re: Hindu and the medical community

Hello, everyone. Thank you for you kind responses to my questions. I have not had time to to read all of these but I wanted everyone to know that I really appreciate your thoughtful answers. When I get the time I will respond in a more thorough manner.

Re: Hindu and the medical community

Quote Originally Posted by NurseMira View Post
    Hello, everyone. Thank you for you kind responses to my questions. I have not had time to to read all of these but I wanted everyone to know that I really appreciate your thoughtful answers. When I get the time I will respond in a more thorough manner.
    Vannakkam, and thanks for coming back. Look forward to your response.

Aum Namasivaya

Devi,
    Please know that I am not on this forum to judge or mistreat your opinions. I am sincerely interested in the answers you have posted.
    For a while I didn't even know that my question had been approved for being posted and that it had replies. I apologize that I had not responded. Right now I am very busy and do not have time to give responses or read all of the posts on here. I will post my responses with additional follow up questions very soon. Thank you everyone for your time and concern.

Hello everyone,
    I am back as promised. I am a student taking 18 units and also working full time as an LVN (licensed Vocational Nurse). As you can see this leaves little time for pleasantries and certainly not enough time to troll your site. I would never think of posting here to hold your words against you. I am offended by this assertion but I also understand and feel that it is very sad that you must hold this skeptical view because you have faced discrimination in the past based on you religion. I am not entirely sure that this assumption is true, and if it is not, please let me know why you are so suspicious of me. I am from America and hold dear the "separation of church and state", therefor I truly believe everyone should have the right to practice and be accepted for there religion and beliefs. I also feel strongly that everyone should be able to have equal rights and be able to choose their own lives (religion, birth control, education, who they marry), as long as it does not harm the rest of the population.

The questions I have asked you would be hard for me to answer because I don't really have a religion. I have studied a couple different ones. My grandmother is Catholic, I went to a Christian church for a while when I was a teenager, I also went to a Hare Krishna Temple for a while when I was approx 17 and I have read most of the Tanakh for a Old Testament course I took in college. I understand that some (if not all) of you feel that Hare Krishna is not Hindu, but as a young girl I would not have been introduced to any form of eastern religion if the believers of Hare Krishna had not reached out to me. For this experience I am thankful.

I find religion fascinating and definitely agree with Hindu religion that the goal of life is to learn as much as possible and ultimately merge with a higher power. I mostly believe in reincarnation, but there is a small amount of doubt that I have regarding this. I also agree that everything has a soul and because of this I have remained a vegetarian for most of my life. I feel most at peace when I exercise and have been a long time devotee of doing yoga. I am also thankful to the Indian culture for this practice because it allows me to be more centered in my life. When I was a child going to a Christian church there was a pastor there who told his wife that she could not do yoga because it was "self worship", instead of "God worship". It is these types of memories that irritate me about the church, I felt very judged: as a woman, a feminist, a person who believes in equal rights, a person with an open mind ect... I guess what I am saying is that I can understand the reticence to answer these questions.

The only traditions that I uphold are yoga, being vegetarian and Dia De Los Meurtos, which is a Mexican holiday that celebrates and honors the lives of those that have passed. I think these three things are essential to my spirituality

Also, thank you all for all of the information and the link that you provided. My assignment was to do an interview and present the information that I found out about my assigned religion to the class. This site has provided me with some information, I also was able to interview a Hindu friend of mine who took me to a Hindu temple where we were blessed and prayed the Durga, who I believe was his family's designated god. It has been a great learning experience and I believe my presentation to the class will be very helpful and informative for their future experience with Hindu patients.

Thank you and Namaste,
    Miranda

Namaste,

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy life to make the post.

Please don't take it personally. Those who doubted your intentions were probably conditioned by their experiences with the population in general, who are not as charitable as you regarding their values, and the constant flow of trolls through the forum.

Hope your presentation will help expose others in your class to the Hindu value system. BTW, why not also have a day to honor the 'Living Dead' - 'Dia de Los Muertos Vivientes', a category that a major portion of the population falls into .

Best wishes.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 24 March 2014 at 02:56 PM.

Namaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    'Living Dead' - ... a category that a major portion of the population falls into .

Bhāgavatam 3.23.56 (http://vedabase.net/sb/3/23/56/) :

"Anyone whose work is not meant to elevate him to religious life, anyone whose religious ritualistic performances do not raise him to renunciation, and anyone situated in renunciation that does not lead him to devotional service to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, must be considered dead, although he is breathing."

Bhāgavatam 2.3.17 & forward (http://vedabase.net/sb/2/3/en3) :

SB 2.3.21: The upper portion of the body, though crowned with a silk turban, is only a heavy burden if not bowed down before the Personality of Godhead who can award mukti [freedom]. And the hands, though decorated with glittering bangles, are like those of a dead man if not engaged in the service of the Personality of Godhead Hari.
    SB 2.3.23: The person who has not at any time received the dust of the feet of the Lord's pure devotee upon his head is certainly a dead body. And the person who has never experienced the aroma of the tulasī leaves from the lotus feet of the Lord is also a dead body, although breathing.

regards

Thread Information