Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

Re: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté sunyata07

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    I prefer intuition to intellect in such matters.
    In the final analysis, the greatest jyotiṣa's depend on intuition. That is how the ṛṣi's mahārishi parāśar, veda vyāsa, jaimini and the like came to their conclusions.

I can tell you that there are only a few jyotiṣa's who know this method for the iṣṭa-devatā approach. When I talk to one that proclaims they practice this science I ask for their approach for doing this and most ( 80% ) do not know.

Most ( not all) are more concerned with what their client's are asking - when will I get a new car, when will I be married, will I pass my test, when will I get a new boyfriend, when will I get a new house... all this is very low on my radar and frankly I pay little to no attention regarding these issues.
    I do not see ( nor have I been taught) that jyotiṣ is a parlor game ( I am not inferring you nor anyone that has posted suggests this). For me and a small group of associates it is all about advancing one's spiritual thinking.

I respect your views and know you have clear vision on this matter. Yet I can say if this approach was not important the muni's would not spend one minute on this subject.

That said , and as I have said before , there are other ways for one to consider their iṣṭa-devatā : By His/Her own grace, by the guru, by insight, but not by guessing.

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Let say one knows the name of their iṣṭa-devatā, what then? How do you come to personally know (not just by name) Him or Her ?

We can look to patañjali’s yogadarśana, chapter 2 (sādhana pada), 44th sūtra, as it says the following:

svādhyāyāt iṣṭadevatā saṁprayogaḥ ( some like to write it like this svādhyāyādiṣṭadevatāsaṁprayogaḥ )

What does this say?
    • svādhyāyāt = svā+dhyā+yāt
      • svā = one's own; my own
      • dhyā = dhyāna or meditation; we can look at it also as dhyeya meaning object of meditation
      • yāt = to join
    Note too that svadhaya means to propitiate (to make favorably inclined; appease; conciliate)
    • iṣṭadevatā = iṣṭa+devatā
      • iṣṭa = agreeable, beloved, reverenced , respected
      • devatā or devátā = divinity, Supreme ( the ambassator of the Formless that takes form)

• saṁprayogaḥ = saṁ+pra+yogaḥ
      • saṁ = is rooted in yuj ' to join together'
      • pra = fullment
      • yogaḥ = yoga = union or the act of yoking , joining , attaching , harnessing
    My translation (any blemishes belong to me).

Through one's own mediation, the fulfillment of joining together with one's most beloved and respected divinity ( is accompished - inferred by 'pra' )

Meditation here does not mean the act of daily thinking and pondering but that approach that reveals samādhi

What others say ( not different, just an extention of the subject)

svāmī lakṣman-jū (kaśmir śaivism POV)

The fruit that accures from continuiiouly striving for Self-knowledge,
    by constant study of the scriptures, that the Lord whom you seek
    (iṣṭadevatā) will shine before you.

yogāchārya svāmi hariharānanda āraṇa (founder of the Kāpila Monastery)

From study and repetition of the mantras, communication with the desired deity is established.

BKS Iyengar

Self-study leads towards the realization of God or communion with one's desired deity.

Śakti Das (a.k.a. sahaj yogi)

Through self study (swadhyaya) knowledge of our true self is disclosed completing
    the yoga that reveals our true sacred nature (innate divinity or ishta devata which resides inside all beings).

praṇām

words
    The 4 sections or chapters (pada's) of patañjali’s yogadarśana ( yoga sūtra-s) - samādhi pada , sādhana pada , vibhūti pada , kevala pada
    Last edited by yajvan; 27 November 2010 at 09:52 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

Let say one knows the name of their iṣṭa-devatā, what then? How do you come to personally know (not just by name) Him or Her ?

We can look to patañjali’s yogadarśana, chapter 2 (sādhana pada), 44th sūtra, as it says the following:

svādhyāyāt iṣṭadevatā saṁprayogaḥ ( some like to write it like this svādhyāyādiṣṭadevatāsaṁprayogaḥ )

What does this say?
    • svādhyāyāt = svā+dhyā+yāt
      • svā = one's own; my own
      • dhyā = dhyāna or meditation; we can look at it also as dhyeya meaning object of meditation
      • yāt = to join
    Another look at svādhyāya without breaking it into its components is defined as 'reciting or repeating or rehearsing to one's self , repetition or recitation of the veda in a low voice to one's self '

So, we can see why the word self-study has come up in the translations I offered above e.g. svāmī lakṣman-jū's, svāmi hariharānanda āraṇa , etc.

Yet there is one more thing the astute HDF reader will notice. This svādhyāya is one of the niyama's called out in patañjali’s yogadarśana. We have :
    • śauca - cleanliness or purity
    • santoṣa - contentment
    • tapaṣya - self control
    • svādhyāya - Self-study , Self-knowing
    • īśvara-praṇudhāna - adoration of the Supreme, of one's iṣṭadevatā.
    Please note and consider these 5 are not in random order. Each niyama provides the foundation for the next. This is the brilliance of patañjali-ji and his insight of the mechanics of unfolding the divine in the sakala¹ .

This is the offering here of patañjali ; we lay the foundation for the Supreme to be adored by us. So, for those interested in being close to their iṣṭadevatā, consider the qualities to form the strong foundation for this to occur. The niyama's and yama's. You can read more about these in the patañjali folder here on HDF - here is one to point the way : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

praṇām

1. sakala - affected by the elements of the world;with śaiva-s applied to a soul which has not advanced
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Smile Re: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

Perhaps even when the mind thinks of one Deity as the Ishta Devatha, it is the Paramatman which makes it think that way and even the Jyotish is stimulated to think in those lines by the Paramatman!
    Ekam Sat!

Smile Re: How do I find my Ishta Devata?

The Paramaatman leads one to Ishta Devatha, not the person's choice, but as it should be, as it is already ordained!

Namaste

For (IMO) most, the Ishta Devata finds you. You will know.

Jai Hanuman

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste

a) If you have great ambition and pursue it violently, and

b) if you have a subconscious with spiritual practice impressions,

you will experience a great blocking by external circumstances
    for realizing your ambitions known also as hardening of the heart,

your helplessness will surround you on all sides,

simultaneously your serpent energy will awaken,

leading you to inquire into spiritual things,

during that time, the seeds of your chosen deity will be sown,

including through appearance of spiritual masters through dreams, and

finally fulfilment of your ambitions and desires as per Divine Will.

Complex it looks and possibly is...

Ra K Sankar

Thread Information