Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions to Hindus about Sikhism

Questions to Hindus about Sikhism

This is intended to be quick survey of Hindus' beliefs about sikhism

1. Are sikhs (men and women) allowed by their religion to cut their hair ?
    2. Are sikhs allowed by their religion to use intoxicants such as alcohol, tobacco and so on.
    3. Is there a text other than guru granth sahib the final authority on the sikh path ?

Now, if a person answers "yes" to any of these questions, would you trust their knowledge of sikhism.

4. If some sikhs kill their daughter foetus, does it make it "allowed" when final authority of sikhism - Guru Granth Sahib - says that "why do you call women low, when she has given birth to great people"

There are some "proud" hindus, who say Sikh Gurus had nothing new to offer. It was all there in hindu granths. The answer is - Sikhs don't claim novelty or superiority. You "proud" people should be happy and content that you have all the knowledge of the world.
    Last edited by satay; 27 August 2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: irelevant texts about hindus removed.

Re: Questions to Hindus about Sikhism

Admin Note

namaskar,
    Please follow the forum rules.

Flaming of other members and of Hinduism is not allowed on this forum.

You may find the forum rules by clicking on the FAQ section of the forum. If you have any questions about the rules of the forum, please PM me.

Thanks,
    satay

Sat Sri Akal
    I for one, love the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I do not use the word "love" lightly. It fills me with joy and cuts away the mind´s doubt from the purity of truth.

Why am I not a Singh? Becaue there is only hukam

Quote Originally Posted by Snip View Post
    Sat Sri Akal
    I for one, love the Sri Guru Granth Sahib. I do not use the word "love" lightly. It fills me with joy and cuts away the mindīs doubt from the purity of truth.

Why am I not a Singh? Becaue there is only hukam

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post

----3. Is there a text other than guru granth sahib the final authority on the sikh path ?

Now, if a person answers "yes" to any of these questions, would you trust their knowledge of sikhism.
    Darshan Singh ji

I have found many of your posts reasonable. But don't you think that it is the knowledge of Guru in Guru Granth Sahib that is the true immortal? Do not all scriptures commonly teach the Lord to be unborn transcendental Turiya that is beyond the three phases of waking, dreaming, and sleeping?

And moreover, while upholding the transcendental immortal as the ultimate refuge, do the scriptures not teach the following?

Har harjan dohi ik he bib bechar kich nah

I think we err in loving only the nirAkAr and denigrating the AkAr.

There are some "proud" hindus, who say Sikh Gurus had nothing new to offer. It was all there in hindu granths. The answer is - Sikhs don't claim novelty or superiority. You "proud" people should be happy and content that you have all the knowledge of the world.
    I agree that actually rAma is agni in Rig Veda. agni is the universal priest and universal will of God. But is it also not true that Sikhism is largely premised on Sanatana Dharma? In fact, IMO, all scriptures are based on auspicious vak (word) of Ishwara. Our minds, in inauspicious modes, forget this all the time. Even while naming something as sanatana, our minds will still tend to exclude some parts of this प्रपञ्च (universe) as other than the sanatana. 'We and they' classification is the common trick of the mind.

I read the following:

Guru Teg Bahadur saw that his Sikhs were angry at Dhir Mal and all those who made themselves enemies of the Guru for their violence and theft. He told everyone, "Do not let anger in your body. It makes you crazy so you can not tell right from wrong. Forgive these men in your hearts." Thus began the reign of Guru Teg Bahadur who is free from anger and revenge.

http://www.sikhnet.com/audio/makkan-...nd-baba-bakala
    Best Wishes

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

6. Cool Re: Questions to Hindus about Sikhism

Sathya, is that the
    Darshan Singh, how you will behave if somebody will insult Sikhism in a Sikh forum ?

I am not a big scholar of Hinduism or even Sihkism, but I will give you answer and don't forget to reply if you know or shutup

1. Are sikhs (men and women) allowed by their religion to cut their hair ?
    This is not a best part, what have hairs to do with it? Even Hindus have Shikhasutra not allowed to cut, but they are forced to cut mainly in the Armed forces, but even a single Hindu officer asked Sikhs to cut their hairs, or any Sikh officer allowed Hindus to have Shikhasutra?

2. Are sikhs allowed by their religion to use intoxicants such as alcohol, tobacco and so on.
    It is Hinduism that do not allow all this, all this is allowed in Tantrikism that is now merged with Hindism, in pre medival days it was part of Buddhism with Tara Devi fame as Sahajyana.

3. Is there a text other than guru granth sahib the final authority on the sikh path ?
    Guru granth sahib is not a complete book, it have texts from Sikh Gurus, Hindu Saints and Muslim Sufis.

4. If some sikhs kill their daughter foetus, does it make it "allowed" when final authority of sikhism - Guru Granth Sahib - says that "why do you call women low, when she has given birth to great people"
    Biggest stupid question, from where did you get that Hinduism allows it? All Hindu texts forbid in anykind of foetiside, protecting Knya is one of the important thing. But did Guru granth sahib says anything important? In Punjab and Sikh families female foeiticied is highest, does that means Sikhs do not trust Guru granth sahib ether?
    In Hinduism there is Durga, Kali, Santoshi, Gayatri
    Parvati with Shiv,
    Lakhsmi with Vishnu.
    why wifes or mothers of Gurus are not given equality in guru granth sahib ?

Yes we are Proud, but you are nothing
    Onkar is a hindu word that was accepted in Sikhism
    Hinduism have knya pujan of young girls, Raksha bandhan and Bhaiya duj of brother and sister relation, and many others, Sikhism have anything? They only use what is already in Hinduism, not new.

Firstly, Sikhism is a religion in its own right, consider Islam, it follws Jewish God, but is a separate religion, as someone said, and the Gurujis showed exemplerary examples of humanity and selfless service to humanity, it has much to offer.

Hinduism/Sanatan Dharma teaches to practice humanity e.g. Karma Yoga.
    Individuals may want to denigrate another faith, best not to fall prey to communalism,- path of the dark side, as we have seen with dark lords

Param,

I really don't understand, where I insulted hinduism. I would really appreciate if you tell me. I had no intention to do it. But, if some of my words seem like insult, please tell me, so that I won't use them.

Even the sentences that satay deleted were not insults in any way. Since he administers this board, and only he can decide whats best.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Darshan Singh ji
    Har harjan dohi ik he bib bechar kich nah
    I think we err in loving only the nirAkAr and denigrating the AkAr.
    I totally agree with you. Apologies, if did it. Would you point me to my specific post, where I denigrated the Akar. I would like to learn from my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    'We and they' classification is the common trick of the mind.
    I agree. Thanks for the link and the advice. But, I need some more advice from you. I would really appreciate that.

What should be my reaction if:
    1. I find people like Harjas Kaur misrepresent sikhism in front of not-so-learned hindus.
    2. If people say - the sikh farmer in my village worships idols, hence its allowed in sikhism. Even if I give reference after reference to tell its not allowed.

Last year, my hindu neighbor passed away (in USA); and they had bhagwadgeeta paath for a week or so. (Original Text plus meanings in English). Since, I was the most proficient sanskrit reader, I got to do the most paath. For the first time, I got to read bhagwadgeeta completely. I would say that other than last few chapters, most of the content agrees with Guru Granth Sahib.

One thing I would like to point is that
    Hinduism is "Open" (for a better word). It includes different and even mutually exclusive philosophies, and most hindus are at peace with this. Thats exactly the reason why new philosophies (and religion) could emerge in India and not in Arabia or Europe.

However, Sikhism is very well defined. Its like a school - with a uniform (Kesh, turban and other 5 Ks). There is an admission process ( Amrit ceremony) and there is a Text Book (Guru Granth Sahib). So THIS is sikhism and nothing else. The founder Guru Gobind Singh made the rules, set-up a uniform and a text book. (He himself requested Panj Pyaares to admit him to his own school)
    These rules can't be changed. Now, like in any school, some students don't follow the rules. That doesn't mean the rules of the school are now different.
    And if two people says two different things about rules, we just check the textbook, and verify who is right.

Because of these inherent differences in "structure" of hinduism and sikhism, even some well-meaning hindus don't understand some sikhs' insistence on "sikh rules". I hope you see my point now.

Again, I never say "My religion is better than yours". It is the most stupid thing coming from anybody. As vivekanand said - "We all are going towards God at our own pace, stumbling and again trying" (not the exact quote, but similar)

I agree. Thanks for the link and the advice. But, I need some more advice from you. I would really appreciate that.

What should be my reaction if:
    1. I find people like Harjas Kaur misrepresent sikhism in front of not-so-learned hindus.
    2. If people say - the sikh farmer in my village worships idols, hence its allowed in sikhism. Even if I give reference after reference to tell its not allowed.
    Sat Sri Akaal and Namaste Darshan Singh Ji

The above is only apparently a difficult question. The two answers, in my opinion, were already included above. I will repeat:

1. Har harjan dohi ik he bib bechar kich nah

2. The teaching of Guru Teg Bahadur cited above.

Additionally, there is a teaching from my Guru's school:

The doctrines of all religions contradict each other. They wage war, collide with each other, and finaly die
    On this battlefield all religions retreat defeated when they stand before mauna, which abides beneficiently, sustaining them all

It is best, IMO, to state one's view (or simply do one's duty) and let the Guru decide of the result. I know that i cannot practise fully what I am suggesting. But we may try.

Last year, my hindu neighbor passed away (in USA); and they had bhagwadgeeta paath for a week or so. (Original Text plus meanings in English). Since, I was the most proficient sanskrit reader, I got to do the most paath. For the first time, I got to read bhagwadgeeta completely. I would say that other than last few chapters, most of the content agrees with Guru Granth Sahib.

One thing I would like to point is that
    Hinduism is "Open" (for a better word). It includes different and even mutually exclusive philosophies, and most hindus are at peace with this. Thats exactly the reason why new philosophies (and religion) could emerge in India and not in Arabia or Europe.

However, Sikhism is very well defined. Its like a school - with a uniform (Kesh, turban and other 5 Ks). There is an admission process ( Amrit ceremony) and there is a Text Book (Guru Granth Sahib). So THIS is sikhism and nothing else. The founder Guru Gobind Singh made the rules, set-up a uniform and a text book. (He himself requested Panj Pyaares to admit him to his own school)

These rules can't be changed. Now, like in any school, some students don't follow the rules. That doesn't mean the rules of the school are now different.

And if two people says two different things about rules, we just check the textbook, and verify who is right.

Because of these inherent differences in "structure" of hinduism and sikhism, even some well-meaning hindus don't understand some sikhs' insistence on "sikh rules". I hope you see my point now.

Again, I never say "My religion is better than yours". It is the most stupid thing coming from anybody. As vivekanand said - "We all are going towards God at our own pace, stumbling and again trying" (not the exact quote, but similar)
    In above, I can find no variance from my belief. Accept my regards for your sanskrit knowledge.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information