Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinmaya Correspondence Course advises choosing a lord

Chinmaya Correspondence Course advises choosing a lord

Hello,

For starters I was a little surprised that they enocouraged deity worship since I thought the course was more Advaitic than that. I'm okay with it because I always intended to have a deity help me on my way to nondual realization so to speak. But I don't have a deity... and they make communion with a deity pretty central. You're supposed to start your day with it... So I don't know what to do... I tried to ask this on their forums but they have a lot less traffic so I would be very grateful if you guys have any feedback... I don't really know enough about the Hindu pantheon. I think I lean toward Shiva but I don't know that much. If nothing else can someone recommend a crash course on Shiva to at least give me enough to focus on? Thank you very much.

Re: Chinmaya Correspondence Course advises choosing a lord

Namaskar shays860,

I believe they want you to chose something like an Ishta devata. Shiva, I believe is great option if you want to have non-dual realization at last. Shiva is the absolute consciousness, the one without second. Shiva exists in everything and he is the our inner self, which we will realize after Moksha. Shiva as you know is shown in various postures performing various roles. The most common posture for him is in state of Yoga, when he is self absorbed. This is a message that self is the ultimate truth. Some pictures also represent Shiva with a damru (musical instrument) which depicts him creating the universe with sound. Shiva's better half parvati is actually Shiva himself. Parvati represents the power of Shiva. His maya, the illusionary power of the lord. Shiva is also shown in various other postures like with a trident, which represents shunning of evil thoughts from one self. He is also the lord who brings pralaya or dissolution of apparent universe. I am sorry that I cannot direct you to any website for crash course as growing in Indian society meant I already learned basics about our most beloved bhagwan. Omkara has posted a shaivite library, may be you can try that out. Hope other members help you to seek what you are looking for.
    Shantam Shivam Advaitam.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thank you for your help.

Vannakkam: Since Chinmayananda was Smarta and Advaita Vedanta, I would echo isavasya's words.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear shays860,

First of all Congratulations for starting with the chinmaya Correspondence course. It would surely aid you in your spiritual journey. I have myself not taken the course, but I know that Swami Chinmayananda and his teachings were exceptional.

Vedanta conveys a vision about yourself, not about some God who sits above the clouds . Its fundamental claim is : You are Purna or Fulfilled. You are Free and complete within, always. And you have to see yourself as such. Vedanta aids you see yourself as ever Fulfilled.

But if we see our own experiences of life, we see ourselves as limited. Our current vision of ourselves is : We are limited in various ways. If my job is gone, my life turns topsy-turvy! If a few of my relationships are disturbed I am gone. If my health goes down, my life becomes a hell. This is our current vision about ourselves. This is what we see.

But Vedanta says : You are ever Fulfilled and complete. Not a lacking individual. How do we get this vision ? Vedanta is not a theoretical framework. Its about seeing for ourselves the vision thats there. That vision is the REAL YOU , which is waiting to be discovered within. That Real You, is God. You may imagine a Buddha or Ramana Maharshi if you want to. Thats the God. You. But you do not see yourself as that God. You see yourself as a limited person tossed by the circumstances of life!

So first this Real You is brought into your life ... since you cannot directly accept that YOU ARE THAT, it starts with saying : Lets first bring this Real You, or God into your life. You will eventually discover this You as yourself. This REAL YOU, which is the God within you is waiting for you to discover. So , you start by bringing this Ishvara or God into life. Slowly and surely you see that HE ALONE IS, all else is mithya [a technical word, needs lot of elaboration]. God or Ishvara is YOU is like an equation that needs to be understood very carefully. Its not to say that you will have some powers or can do some miracles. Its a deep recognition of your own fulfilledness which is also the True God. God is not defined by the power he has or his capacities. God is that Total Fulfilledness ... Absolute Bliss. Which one has to discover for oneself within.

I hope I have helped you a little with this. Please feel free to let me know if you have any more queries on this. Its a big topic , I am sure I have used some very vague terms in this description for the ease of understanding. Will be able to explain more if you have specific queries.

Love!
    Silence
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Thank you again for all your help. Right now I am just trying to take in the courses as they come while also studying Dasgupta's history of indian philosophy as the course at this point leaves me plenty of time for other study. I have chosen Shiva as my lord as the course recommends choosing one but they also suggest having an image of your lord to pray in front of and I am having difficulty finding one. Can anyone recommend any good sources?

Quote Originally Posted by shays860 View Post
    Thank you again for all your help. Right now I am just trying to take in the courses as they come while also studying Dasgupta's history of indian philosophy as the course at this point leaves me plenty of time for other study. I have chosen Shiva as my lord as the course recommends choosing one but they also suggest having an image of your lord to pray in front of and I am having difficulty finding one. Can anyone recommend any good sources?
    Vannakkam: Why not find a nice picture on-line and print it out?

Aum Namasivaya

I was hoping for something a little higher quality than that but I guess I will have to. Thanks.

I'm really liking this one but I can't find a full size image... I don't guess anyone recognizes this?

Dear Shays,

I tried to do google babcksearch but could not find a larger image. Sorry about that. This picture is of Shiva. Shiva is very benevolent and compassionate towards everyone. legend is that when he sees sorrow in any being, he sheds tears because of compassion. This picture might represent that aspect of him. If you search Internet you can find various pictures of Shiva. Let us know if you have any questions. We will help you know more about Shiva.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thread Information