Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: One stop enlightenment ?

Re: One stop enlightenment ?

namaste yajvan,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté shays860

I have used the term teacher on multiple posts. I do not talk much of my teacher for many reasons. praṇām
    Sorry to interrupt the discussion here but I have noticed and always wondered why you don't mention who your teacher is. I figured there must be a reason so never asked. However after knowing you for many years on HDF and reading your posts I think I can guess but I will keep that to myself.

Please carry on.
    satay

Re: One stop enlightenment ?

hariḥ oá¹
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I thought to add this to one of my favorite strings...

udyamo bhairavaḥ ||5

This sūtra comes from the śivasūtra-s – more specifically it is coming from the śivasūtra-vimarśinī; The term vimarśa indicates deliberation, examination. So it is the examination of the śivasūtra-s¹.

This first term udyamo is udyama ( the ‘o’ is there based upon the rules of grammar in saṃskṛt) ; it fits within this overall HDF string of thinking and is perfectly applied within the śivasūtra-s.Let me explain.

Udyama has two distinct definitions:
    · the act of striving after , exerting one's self , exertion , strenuous and continued effort , perseverance , diligence
    · the act of raising or lifting up , elevation

So, this sutra suggests that the way to bhairavaḥ is via udyama. Now who is bhairavaḥ ? None other then paramaśiva ( the Supreme). For one reading this most would chose the 1st definition offered regarding udyama; bhairavaḥ¹ is attained (revealed is a better word) by one’s continued perseverance and effort.

Now the question, how does this come about ? For the one steeped in ignorance yet aware that there is more to this world and to one’s self, then there is this (udyama) perseverance. This perseverance is found in the 3rd chapter addressing ÄṇavopÄya or the means/methods of a limited individual.
    Most that practice some form of sÄdhana or tapas usually are of this frame of mind. That effort and perseverance is the way. Kinda like a football game. Where one perseveres to make a goal, to strive and move forward. This is for a certain ( albeit large) group that are engaged in practice.

Yet there is another small-small group. For them this udyama is elevation; one is raised up to this bhairavaḥ (level of consciousness). Some use the term flashing forth. This is found in the 1st chapter. It suggests one is ripe and ready for this 'flash' to occur and one does little to nothing; This occurs by grace. But many think , just as a farmer prepares the soil for a good crop to grow, so has this sadhu in some form prepared for this 'flash' to come to be.

For me this is most interesting that in one sūtra two types of natives can be addressed.

praṇÄm

words
    • the Å›ivasÅ«tra-s were revealed to vasugupta-ji. The most authorative writing/commentary on this book/revelation is offered by ká¹£emarÄja and is called Å›ivasÅ«travimarÅ›inÄ«.
    • bhairavah is the aggregation of the following: bharaṇa + ravaṇa + vamana
      • bharaṇa = maintaining , supporting , nourishing; He that supports the universe
      • ravaṇa = roaring , yelling , crying , howling yet it is rooted in the word sound ‘ru’ ; ‘ru’ is dividing, cutting, to break or shatter, so in this use it is used for the notion of withdrawing; He that withdraws the universe
      • vamana = to project or emit; He that projects the universe from Himself.
    Last edited by yajvan; 06 November 2014 at 10:43 AM.
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information