Thread: Hindu Lunar Calendar

Hybrid View

Hindu Lunar Calendar

Namaste,

Does anyone know where to find a non-Gregorian Hindu calendar? I'd prefer to either print something out from online or simply view it and draw my own. It can be in English, Hindi or Sanskrit. It doesn't have to show the ekadashis and festivals since I have those already - just the Hindu lunar months for 2012.

Thanks!

Re: Hindu Lunar Calendar

Namaste,

The best that google search brings up is....

http://www.hinduism.co.za/moon4.htm#2012%20January

This requires a copy and paste of the cells into an excel file to create your own calender. Some other site might have a complete one already compiled. Anyone else have any ideas?

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Amala View Post
    Namaste,

Does anyone know where to find a non-Gregorian Hindu calendar? I'd prefer to either print something out from online or simply view it and draw my own. It can be in English, Hindi or Sanskrit. It doesn't have to show the ekadashis and festivals since I have those already - just the Hindu lunar months for 2012.

Thanks!
    Vannakkam Amala: If you search on 'panchang' or 'panchangam' you should have better luck. Himalayan Academy has one in PDF format that is time and latitude/longitude adjusted for most major cities. But there are others around as well.

My temple does one with the major Saiva days, but it starts and ends with Tamil New Year in April.

Best wishes in the hunt.

Here's one such site: http://www.mypanchang.com/

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 04 January 2012 at 09:07 PM.

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,

One thing that baffles me is that Jan 1 2012 is shown as a different date of the month on different Indian Lunar calenders. I can understand if the dates were off by 14, signifying the start of the month on Purnima or Amavasya for different calenders for different ethnic groups. But being off by a few days is a mystery to me. I thought the Lunar calenders were tied to Purnima or Amavasya for the start of a month. Evidently not?

Pranam.

Pranam!

Please let me know where do you see different dates? You mean tithis?

Thanks
    Sevak
    mypanchang.com

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

One thing that baffles me is that Jan 1 2012 is shown as a different date of the month on different Indian Lunar calenders. I can understand if the dates were off by 14, signifying the start of the month on Purnima or Amavasya for different calenders for different ethnic groups. But being off by a few days is a mystery to me. I thought the Lunar calenders were tied to Purnima or Amavasya for the start of a month. Evidently not?

Pranam.

Namaste,

Welcome to the forum Shashtriji. And thank you for volunteering to help with my question.

In Saidevo's post above, the 4th link provides Lunar calenders for Indian, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam traditions. Here is what I am having trouble understanding,

Indian Calender: Jan1 2012 - Pausa tithi 11
    Tamil Calender: Jan 1 2012 - Margazhi tithi 17
    Telugu Calender:Jan 1 2012 - Pushya tithi 11
    Malayali Calender:Jan 1 2012 - Dhanu tithi 16

Unless I am misreading something, the only thing that I can conclude from this data is that the start of the Lunar year (and each month?) for different calenders is not keyed to Purnima or Amavasya. But that is contrary to what I have always believed. Any explanations?

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 07 January 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Namaste,

I had a thorough description to offer for each link so that others could pick and choose without going to each address, but was logged off, and lost the message. So, let me simply say thank you. These are very useful. I have several calendars that I will use to create my wall calendar.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Amala: If you search on 'panchang' or 'panchangam' you should have better luck. Himalayan Academy has one in PDF format that is time and latitude/longitude adjusted for most major cities. But there are others around as well.

My temple does one with the major Saiva days, but it starts and ends with Tamil New Year in April.

Best wishes in the hunt.

Here's one such site: http://www.mypanchang.com/

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information