Thread: Question on PRASADAM

Question on PRASADAM

Hello, can you dispell my doubts, please?
    If I make an offering of the food to the deity, then it should be prasadam, ok?
    And is that offered food in the mode of darkness when eaten more than three hours after cooking it, as it stated in BG ?

Re: Question on PRASADAM

Hi Martin

Yes food offered to God is called as Prasad.

Well in times when Bhagvad Gita was revealed, there were no refrigerators or microwaves so storing food for long and keeping it healthy was a problem hence the advice, my humble guess. Other members can throw more light.

However, when younger, we were still advised by elders and parents to not eat food which had been cooked some time back. stress was on freshly cooked food.

Namaste KRSNAmusic: Firstly, welcome to these forums. I hope you benefit from interaction here.

I personally have a couple of takes. The first would be its more in your mind than in the BG. The BG is an excellent guide of course. But if you think its prasadam, then its prasadam, and vice versa. Suppose for example, you drive a distance, let's say 3 and one half hours to a sacred temple, where prasad is superior and your ailing mother is at home. You rush back to share some with her, but its just outside the 3 hour limit. Does this mean you throw it out? I wouldn't.

The second point is more scientific. Food (Vegetables, fruits, not grains) starts losing prana as soon as we pick it. The fresher the better is what the health experts all say. The healthiest food you can eat is straight from the garden, or the tree. Anyone having tasted a fresh orange or carrot this knows the feeling. You can literally taste the prana, like you can feel it in the air right after a rain. But as goodlife has indicated, refrigeration will slow the process somewhat.

Of course, this is just my personal view. Others may differ.

Aum Namasivaya

spiritual guidelines often suggest that it is best if we can eat consecrated food or prasadam . power of prasadam to purify a soul is immense and has been attested by saints and figures of many diverse hindu sects with strong emphasis .

now there might be more than one procedure to offer to the divine .

one can make a sincere prayer to the lord before meals .

one can merely thank the creator before starting to eat .

one can also follow the definite rituals to offer the food to the deity ( this involves taking a bath and then tying your hair to prevent it from flying in the bhoga , covering your mouth to prevent saliva accidentally dropping in . using a seperate oven and seperate utensils kept exclusively for the purpose , using fresh and only the best items and vegtables which has not been tasted before and purchased only for that purpose . never tasting the food while cooking it , serving it out in a orderly manner as you would to a respected guest in dishes kept only for that purpose and then placing it before the installed deity with water glass etc and offering it to him with certains mantrams after which you leave the room for his refreshment for a few minutes . then you again come back after knocking at the door and offer him water to cleanse his mouth etc and remove the prasad to a seperate plate for your own use .)

but one thing that has to be kept in mind in all of the above three procedures is that the main requisite is love and devotion . he doesnt need the food . he accepts the sincerity , faith and love with which we do our activities .

on whether one can offer onion garlic or non veg items in bhoga opinions vary with different regions . strict rules forbid use of onion garlic and such stimulants in cooking of bhoga . ideally bhoga is to be cooked with ghee from cows instaed of oil . however shakta regions in india offer cooked fish and meat to devi .

there are other rules also to follow while ritualistically offering food to divine -- drinking water and other refreshments like paan and sweets must also be present there and an arati is to be performed after each food offering !!

hindu scirptures do not prefer cold rice and re heated items . which is why it is considered best to serve food hot to the deities . cooked food which has been kept in refrigarators cannot be served in any circumstances . however fruits and other less perishable items can be kept for a few days if it does not wither or rot away . refrigaration can be of help in storing these .

everything depends what what your intention is ....if you want prasad for daily meals and your own spiritual life then a little prayer of love before whatever you eat is suffiecient .
    but if you have installed a deity at home and want to offer food ritually the second procedure should be followed .

as for me i follow the elaborate procedure only in occasional family festivals .

Hello, thank you all for your kind elaborate responses!

I am a bit afraid when reading about certain rules to be followed - automatically there is a word "offence" in my mind.

Sambya, thank you for pointing out the main requisite - love and devotion.

In my case, I have small altar in a room, and I installed it without any rituals or prescribed mantras. I serve meal and water every day in the special dishes. It gives me daily oportunity to bow down before Krsna, and I am thinking like: "my dear Lord Krsna, would you be so kind and if you like, please, accept this food". Then I utter panca-tattva and then Hare Krsna mahamantra for some time, then panca-tattva and bow down again and so I go away then. I come after 5,10 minutes to pick up the food and to eat prasad from another dishes. I am trying to be affectionate and unneglectfull during this process. I am also thinking of Krsna while cooking, preparing the best I have and rarely taste it before He tastes it.
    Please, is that allright or do I neglect some essential point ?
    I am not initiated. I also do japa in the mornings.

Thank you very much for your kind answers to dispell doubts of a beginner.

Thread Information