Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kolkatta, the forgotten city

Re: Kolkatta, the forgotten city

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    Namaste,

No one is denying their intellect or their contribution to the fabric of the Indian culture over the centuries. However what is sad is their whole hearted support to communism for decades and now to Mamata. During the communist rule the state was in a state of decay. Now it is being islamized. Hoardes of Bengladeshis come in every day. Every mullah in the state gets a stipend of Rs. 5000 per month, which is not available to the clergy of any other faith. Her power base comes from these muslims and the gullible Hindus. The anti development policies being followed by Mamta to stay in power are keeping the industrialists out. No major international airline touches the Kolkatta airport as there is no business to conduct. It is pathetic how Bengalis are being duped into becoming the next muslim majority and remain a poverty stricken state. Just having pride over the past accomplishments does not do Bengal or the rest of India any good. Installing Robindra sangeet piped music systems at every corner, instead of fixing the potholes in the city does not do anyone good. I wish they would wake up and reclaim their glorious past but I am not holding my breath for that as intellect without common sense is disastrous. Unfortunately for all of us, the Bengali intellectuals and the masses of the day are in a deep slumber mode. When and if they wake up, they could impact the current fabric of India in a major way and even run the whole country. But the way things are now, they are happy with their past with no desire to rise and be glorious in the present or in the future.

Pranam.
    Namaskar,
    I have to say that in this point I agree with you Big Time.I live and study there and some times the atmosphere to me is very weird.Why?I will explain,well one day there was going to be a rally called "Brigade" organised by Mamta Banerjee and I was coming from my coaching and what I saw was very astonishing.There were huge number of vehicles with a lot of people one after the other and then ohter going towards Maidan (A Place In Kolkata) and in the Metros my friend told me hat there were people who wanted to reach Howrah or Sealdah by Metro (But there are no Metros to these places) and then an announcement had to be made by the officials to get them out of the station.The people in Bengal are very politically sound as they voted more than 80% in the Lok Sabha Elections.But the political thing is WAY too ffar ahead in Bengal as I have felt because even in colleges the young people have UNIONS and it is of the party in rule in Bengal.

Also as Shiva Fan Ji said that if you are not aware in Bengal then you yourself can be bought and sold by the people there as they are very shrewd.And while buying things if you don't bargain then you would be in a huge loss as they sale things 3 times of the original price and even after selling the things at a bargained price the seller incurrs profit.

One big issue that Believer Ji said the Potholes.I would say it is one of the big issues there and if you are not aware you will end up in the Ganga (Hugly) river and I am not joking.Those are connected to the Ganga (Hugly) river and during rainy seasons you have to be very careful while walking as there is water everywhere.And the industrial thing is also correct,as Mamta when she wasn't even Chief Minister didn't allow Tata to manufacture "NANO" Car in Singur and they Tata had to find shelter for its Car in Gujarat.

What I think about Bengal is that people the problem is just like rest of India,there is huge poverty and illiteracy.And they do whatever he political goons tell them to do that includes going in the rallies,supporting "Didi",voting etc.

Dhanyavad
    Hari bol

Namaste,

ShivaFan, I am sorry if I hurt your feelings or those of anyone else. That was not the intent of my posts in this thread.

I have many Bengali friends and I love them all. I recognize that Netaji Subhash Chander Bose was a leader of all of India and not just Bengal and I worship him for his sacrifices in fighting both the Britishers and Gandhi to bring freedom to India. I adore Rabindra Nath Thakkur (not Tagore ) for his literary and humanitarian contributions. I am thankful to Swami Vivekanand for bringing Hinduism to the West. And there are many, many others Benagalis of the past whom I cherish and idolize.

Having said that, my problem is with the current day population and their leaders. They have been and continue to take the state backwards, which is harmful to themselves as well as to the whole country. Everybody loves and praises the place they are emotionally attached to and I can understand that. But we must keep our eyes open and not let it deteriorate. Liking and loving some place means protecting it and making it go in the positive direction. Masking the ills just means more trouble downstream. I wish for the intellectual giants of Kolkata to awaken and take us to the glory days of Benagal.

I am not advocating a boycott of Kolkata. By all means people should go and visit it as they would visit any other city in Bharat. But by pointing out the downward spiral, I am merely trying to show the obvious - Rs. 5000 stipend for every muslim mullah, not promoting a business culture which keeps the people poor (major international airlines not finding a reason to go there), and general islamization of the state by letting hoards of Bengladeshis come to the city and then ceding parts of the city to them where we are afraid to go even during broad daylight. When any part of India suffers, I suffer and you suffer and we all suffer. So, not looking at the negatives because we are attached to a place only takes it further down. And that is bad for me, for you, and for the whole of India. This is no way being said to disparage Kolkata, but to attempt to make the lovers of Kolkata be pragmatic and not hide from the obvious.

Jai Kolkata, Jai Bengal, Jai Kali Ma.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 22 June 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Namaste Believer

Not at all! As you can see, I am agreeing to the problems that do exist. If pan masala and gutka spitting on the Howrah doesn't stop soon, the bridge is going to fall down because it is eating through the metal and weakening the structure.

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    If pan masala and gutka spitting on the Howrah doesn't stop soon, the bridge is going to fall down because it is eating through the metal and weakening the structure.
    Let us see when Modi takes up Kolkata (I do not mean that BJP wins the state elections. Even without that Government has a responsibility to care for Kolkata).
    Last edited by aupmanyav; 30 June 2014 at 01:56 AM.
    "Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
    (Helping others is merit, causing pain is sin)

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    Let us see when Modi takes up Kolkata (I do not mean that BJP wins the state elections. Even without that Government has a responsibility to care for Kolkata).
    If my street sweeper does not do a proper job, I am definitely going to go after Modi. Incredible!

Why is the damn Govt. responsible for the stupidity of its citizens? Why don't people get off the internet wasting their lives by making stupid posts and do something constructive with their lives, like cleaning the gutka spit from Howrah bridge? OR should Modi come with a mop and do it for them? The Indian mentality of 'Govt. should do it all for me while I sit on my rear end' is, unfortunately, alive and well.

Pranam.

Thread Information