Thread: New To Advaita, Help Needed

1. New To Advaita, Help Needed

Little introduction to why and what I will ask -

I am by birth a Brahmo Samajist (in short Brahmo) who are worshipers of Para-Brahman. Brahmo Samaj was founded by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1830s. My religion which was based on Upanishads and worship of formless Brahman has disappeared as the older generation (born 1920s died)!! Everyone has migrated abroad or become atheists.

I spent some time belonging to no religion. But I am much too strong believer in God. Being a Brahmo I could not take part in normal puja since Brahmo Dharma prevented idol worship. That is why I feel good in a temple but feel uncomfortable / outsider during puja and aarti.

For a year and half I studied Buddhism intensively. But I found Buddhism to be without God and without self and thus it had to be shelved by me. I cannot accept such a system.

If I am in land of Adavita Vedanta why will I choose Buddhism?

My questions

A ) I am more of a reading books and doing good type of person than a visit temple kind of person. I live in Calcutta and everyone here worships Kali. Though I am fond of Kali, I do not want to spend time worshiping her since I like complex intellectual books. As a Brahmo can I call myself a Vedantin (by definition it seems to be so since Brahmo Dharma is based on Upanishads but no Brahmo has ever called himself so)

B ) I will educate myself by books, books and more books. Calcutta lacks Vedanta teachers. Can a Vedantin teach himself? Between work and reading I do not have any more time.

C ) I am used to Buddhist Samatha (calming) meditation. To change to Hindu meditation does not seem that much change. Can I proceed?

D ) Most important - Brahmo Samaj has disappeared, gone. How to do funeral of my mother when she dies. She is old and may pass away any day. She is also a Brahmo but has no objection to any type of funeral or even no funeral. My sisters are mainstream Hindus and will do it in that way. What does an Advaitin Vedantin do? Perform same rituals as a mainstream Hindu, same mantras, same method? Reason I am asking is - Vaishnavs do not have same funeral liturgy as Shaivites. What about Advaita Vedanta followers? What do they do when someone dies.

Her death will be my last need of liturgy. I see liturgy in any religion (Buddhism, Christianity) as quite needless and waste of time. I am in favor of academic learning and meditation and doing good.

If you kindly help me I will be very grateful
    Last edited by arijitmitter; 08 July 2014 at 07:45 PM.

Re: New To Advaita, Help Needed

Namaste Arijit,

Quote Originally Posted by arijitmitter View Post
    I spent some time belonging to no religion. But I am much too strong believer in God. Being a Brahmo I could not take part in normal puja since Brahmo Dharma prevented idol worship. That is why I feel good in a temple but feel uncomfortable / outsider during puja and aarti.
    Brahmo Samaj is part of Hindu Dharma. Hindus have a long history of arguing over spiritual issues based on scriptures and if defeated in Shstrartha, people would change their belief system. So, when you have any confusion, discuss and change to the views what appeals to you as the Truth. This has been our tradition. Mandan Mishra was an ardent karma-kaandi based on Purva MimAmsaa but when he was defeated in ShAshtrArtha by ShankarAchArya, he became his follower and proved to be a great Advaitin Sannyaasi. So, shed the view that once born in a family of Brahmo-samaji you are saddled with their views and cannot get over with them.

As you are from Kolkata and a BengAli, you should be proud of the fact the BengAl has given many great Advaitin saints to Hindu Dharma. Ramkrishna Paramhansa showed that Advaita is the ultimate truth even though he was a great devotee of Maa Kaali. When worshipping Mother Kaali didn't stop Ramkrishna becoming established in Nirvikalpa SamAdhi, why are you afraid of worshipping mother Goddess if she appeals to you ? If she doesn't, then you choose whatever appeals to you and follow that path firmly.

I am an Advaita follower. There have been very few Adavitins like Maharishi Ramana, AshtAvakra etc. who without help of duality have been able to reach the ultimate. God-devotee relationship is absent in absolute reality but for getting there too God's grace is important.

Good decision. I have studied Buddhism in depth and I can say it with confidence.

A ) I live in Calcutta and everyone here worships Kali. Though I am fond of Kali, I do not want to spend time worshiping her since I like complex intellectual books. As a Brahmo can I call myself a Vedantin (by definition it seems to be so since Brahmo Dharma is based on Upanishads but no Brahmo has ever called himself so)
    You can find your answer above.

B ) I will educate myself by books, books and more books. Calcutta lacks Vedanta teachers. Can a Vedantin teach himself? Between work and reading I do not have any more time.
    It is better you choose an Advaitic Guru like Sri Ramkrishna, Paramhansa Yogananda and join their school. You will get a better picture of the reality and also grace which will calm your mind which seems agitated now. I can suggest you some books if you are interested (please pm me).

C ) I am used to Buddhist Samatha (calming) meditation. To change to Hindu meditation does not seem that much change. Can I proceed?
    Samatha is good. However, it is strongly advisable not to choose any path arbitrarily unless it is prescribed by a true Guru. A true Guru is one who Himself has attained the Absolute Reality. If you join Buddhism, then I would recommend Vipashyanaa to start with.

D ) Most important - Brahmo Samaj has disappeared, gone. How to do funeral of my mother when she dies. She is old and may pass away any day. She is also a Brahmo but has no objection to any type of funeral or even no funeral. My sisters are mainstream Hindus and will do it in that way. What does an Advaitin Vedantin do? Perform same rituals as a mainstream Hindu, same mantras, same method? Reason I am asking is - Vaishnavs do not have same funeral liturgy as Shaivites. What about Advaita Vedanta followers? What do they do when someone dies.
    The golden principle is that you follow what your mother wants. ShankarachArya did not bind himself with the rituals of SannyAsis when it came to performing his mother's death rituals. Try to know what your mother wants (or your near and dear ones) and act accordingly. It is all a matter of faith. I have done samskaar of both my parents in traditional way.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

3. Re: New To Advaita, Help Needed

Namaste Devotee,

Yes I will pm you for books. It is difficult for me to find a teacher since I stay far from both Ram Krishna Mission and Paramhansa Yogananda Society.

I will try to find a teacher but it is very difficult here. Religion is absolutely on back burner in Calcutta (there is the usual Durga Puja with great fanfare but almost no one has any interest in understanding Dharma)

Kali is worshipped a lot here (and famous Kali temples are at Kalighat and Tarapith) and I am fond of her but my mind has always gravitated to Lord Shiva. Actually I tend to look on them as guardians with Lord Shiva being the principal guardian.

I will ask you for some book references. Till I find a teacher (work pressure is killing; it is 21st century) I will have to read books and meditate as far as possible by myself and lead a pure life.

That was one of the good points of following Buddha Dharma for 18 months. It reduces anger, envy, jealously and makes one non-covetous.

Thank you

Pranam arijitmitter , firstly you're welcome here

I myself got questions by reading your post.

Quote Originally Posted by arijitmitter View Post
    I am by birth a Brahmo Samajist (in short Brahmo) who are worshipers of Para-Brahman.
    How do you worship Para-Brahman which is devoid of attributes?

Brahmo Samaj was founded by Raja Ram Mohan Roy in 1830s.
    I don't know much about Raja Ram Roy. But was he realised like Shankaracharya?

Being a Brahmo I could not take part in normal puja since Brahmo Dharma prevented idol worship.
    Brahmo Samaj condemns idol worship which is the same tradition as that of Islam. Yet why do people believe that Brahmo Samaj is a part of Hindu Dharma?

But I found Buddhism to be without God and without self
    And its effect is also amazing. You would have to merge in Void-Avyakta Prakruti which is like a dreamless sleep. Though it is joyful, it has no absolute Joy which is experienced in Brahman.

I'll simply advice you not to choose Buddhism.

by definition it seems to be so since Brahmo Dharma is based on Upanishads but no Brahmo has ever called himself so)
    How would you call it based on upanishada if Upanishada doesn't condemn idol worshiping?

I will educate myself by books, books and more books. Calcutta lacks Vedanta teachers.
    Sorry to say, but remember that this Brahman can't be attained just by reading books on Vedanta written by those who aren't realised and in the veil of maya just like us.

I am used to Buddhist Samatha (calming) meditation. To change to Hindu meditation does not seem that much change. Can I proceed?
    Hindu meditation is filled with completeness of self while Buddhism's filled with Nothingness-Void- Which is not Brahman at all.

What does an Advaitin Vedantin do? Perform same rituals as a mainstream Hindu, same mantras, same method?
    What do you mean by mainstream Hinduism? Advaitians are Hindus and so they follow Hindu Samskaras prescribed in Shastras. They are not influenced by Islamic traditions. Each and every advaitian follows everything, worships idols, meditates on God thinking him as the self, chants God's names, glorifies his sports...and so on. This is what I call Hinduness. Otheres are just lost in the flood of Islamic traditions which was striked during Muslim Invasion.

Thank You..
    Hari On!

5. Re: New To Advaita, Help Needed

Dear Hinduism_Krishna,

Para Brahman cannot be worshiped but meditated on. If you read about Brahmo Samaj you will find Raja Ram Mohan Roy had borrowed heavily the style and liturgy of Christianity.

He was not a seer. He was a spectacularly brilliant man who brought about a religious reformation movement, including several famous social reforms. He studied each religion in its original language. He is one of the tallest figures in modern Bengal besides Vidyasagar. His sobriquet in history books is "First Modern Man of India"

You can read more about him here and about Brahmo Samaj in the OP

I am a non mainstream Hindu. Several times Brahmo Dharma has applied for minority religion status. Few years back schools and colleges run by the Samaj were granted minority status by Supreme Court after decades of litigation. Religious status of Brahmos remain unclear.

From my parent and grand parents I have learned that I am not a Hindu but my religion is an offshoot of Hinduism. However I have also been told to have the good sense never to get into argument with a person who is a mainstream Hindu because it is difficult to explain to an average person what are Upanishads and Vedanta.

We follow no Hindu rules, customs and have completely different liturgy.

Here is a letter I wrote long time back. It explain much -

"Due to excesses of Brahmins there arose in early 19th century, Hindu Reformation movements. One of these created a sub religion called Brahmo Dharma (literally worshipers of formless Brahma). It was restricted to very few educated people. We do not believe in idol worship, Vedic mantras, caste system but teachings of Upanishads and Vedanta. We have no temple and no gospel or liturgy. The Brahmos (as we are called) were also extremely accepting of West (study of English, French, German; travelling abroad; creating science laboratories; becoming mathematicians and so on .. remember this was back in 1850 or so when India was deep in grip of Brahmins). Only one example of Brahmos will suffice to represent our "tribe" - Jagadish Chandra Bose has been accepted by IEEE as one of the fathers of radio science along with Marconi. There is ample proof that he discovered a form of radio in 1894 but did not think of it as important enough to publish it or pursue it. "

However the core of the religion was upper caste, educated intellectual Bengalis. Although professing equality it was never equal. It was a elitist movement confining itself to judges, professors, IAS officers, industrialists, politicians, scientists.

As years went by and the 1920s generation died by 2000, the religion fell apart. Except a few like me everyone has migrated abroad or are too rich to care about religion. Some like my sisters have through marriage to mainstream Hindus gone into Hindu faith though they remain non practicing Hindus.

Since Brahmos based their religion on Upanishads and Vedanta they are Hindus. But since they follow no Hindu custom from a cultural; point of view it is also difficult to club them with Hindus. Court cases regarding this went on for last 100 years till the offshoot religion itself disappeared.

I first saw a puja from up close at age 27.
    Last edited by arijitmitter; 10 July 2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Namaste, Mr. Arijit!

Advaita simply says God is One without a Second.

I could offer you two solutions to your advancement in Advaita philosophy:

(1) Read the books of Swami Vivekananda, especially his lectures on Raja Yoga.

(2) Be a ‘svaya guru’; that is, realise the above truth by yourself, without resorting to a Guru, whom you may find or not. (I have just written a post on “In Search of a Guru”.)

The second suggestion ought to be eminently possible for a person like you who have some practice in meditation. Perhaps you will consider meditation on the breath, with your gaze fixed on the bhrumadhya, the space between the eyebrows (bhrumadhya drishti); you could also fix your gaze at the tip of the nose (nasikagra dirshti), as mentioned in the Gita. It is the supreme form of meditation and remains unchallenged. I have been practising it myself for some time now; the practice does not take more than 10-15 minutes a day – something that will be ideal for people who do not have much time. It is akin to, but not quite the same as, Vipassana meditation.

It would be better not to consult anyone or discuss the matter with anyone: Let your inner instincts and intuition to direct you on the right path. Also remember: Concentrate on the practice, not on the results. If you did the latter, you will end up squandering all your energies and achieve NOTHING!

Thread Information