Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An atheist advaitist Hindu

An atheist advaitist Hindu

Greetings, friends. I do not know how many Hindu atheists are members of this forum who have not abandoned their religion, traditions and culture, but I am one. I find all things in the universe are constituted by 'physical energy'. That is what we started with at the time of Big Bang. This energy then converted into sub-atomic particles and made up all things in the universe - inanimate objects, vegetation, animals, and humans. Now would you term light, heat, electricity, magnetism or gravity as God, that is why I am an atheist.
    "Paropakaram punyaya, papaya parapeedanam."
    (Helping others is merit, causing pain is sin)

Smile Re: An atheist advaitist Hindu

I would describe myself as an agnostic with atheistic leanings. According to my understanding advaita vedanta considers this universe as God. The important thing here is to understand how we interact with our surroundings and with the universe in general. We are not stand-alone beings and we are in many ways one with this creation.

What you stated about energy getting converted into other forms and matter is correct, but there are a lot of intricacies involved. For e.g. what law governs the conversion of one form of energy to the other. How does matter interact with energy ? Most of today's science is trying to understand the inter-relationship between different forms of matter and energy. On a philosophical note one thing is left unanswered - why do the laws that exist really exist ?

In any case, what I said does not constitute an argument for or against God. But it does naturally relate to the advaita vedanta way - trying to understand our inter-relationship with everything else.

Sorry if I just rambled on, but your question was enticing.

-Kumar

Re: An atheist advaitist Hindu

Namaste Aupmanyav,

Quote Originally Posted by aupmanyav View Post
    Greetings, friends. I do not know how many Hindu atheists are members of this forum who have not abandoned their religion, traditions and culture, but I am one. I find all things in the universe are constituted by 'physical energy'. That is what we started with at the time of Big Bang. This energy then converted into sub-atomic particles and made up all things in the universe - inanimate objects, vegetation, animals, and humans. Now would you term light, heat, electricity, magnetism or gravity as God, that is why I am an atheist.
    Does "that" energy has intelligence ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Does "that" energy has intelligence ?
    I discussed this in another forum. Energy does not really has intelligence, but it reacts to situations in particular ways. For example, light and gravity bend towards the presence of massive bodies. One can term this as natural behavior of energy or property, but can this be taken as intelligence?

Quote Originally Posted by kumar_s View Post
    How does matter interact with energy ? .. On a philosophical note one thing is left unanswered - why do the laws that exist really exist ?
    What is matter if not energy? The bomb amply proved it. So, yes, interactions are there, and we do not have the last word. As for your question - why do laws or certain type of interaction/behavior exists? I would say that it is inherent in what exists (which Hindus term as Brahman). Our rishis termed it as 'maya', concommitant with the presence of what exists and inseparable from it, Radha and Kirshna. Just the existence of Brahman sets the ball rolling. Some thing like what is mentioned in Samkhya - Satkāryavāda, the effect is inherent in the cause.

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

What makes room for this energy to exist ? Akāśa or avakāśa is 'to make room' to provide space. So when you say 'all things' are constituted by physical energy that may be true of ~things~ but that is not the total inventory of what exists.
    There is something more fundamental then all this that comes from the big bang. You may be mentioning the universe of things , from sub-atomic particles to the grand collection of galaxies - truly an amazing feat of energy and its display. Yet no-thing can exist without avakāśa. This is the first step of getting closer to the Supreme - not the final stop , but the 'bird seed' trail that brings us to the door of the Supreme.

Now that said, it is not my intent to change your views but to perhaps offer you another perspective that many not have considered. This view is extremely subtle ( so say the wise) and so integral to every thing and no-thing at the same time; so integral that neither you nor I could even exist without it; so purely fundamental that we have never not existed due to it.

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Is 'akasha' eternal? Really we do not know. What is existence and what is non-existence? Is there a relation between the two as mentioned in the 'Nasadiya Sukta'.

नासदासींनॊसदासीत्तदानीं नासीद्रजॊ नॊ व्यॊमापरॊ यत् ।
    Then even nothingness was not, nor existence,

न मृत्युरासीदमृतं न तर्हि न रात्र्याआन्ह आसीत् प्रकॆत: ।
    Then there was neither death nor immortality nor was there then the torch of night and day.

सतॊबन्धुमसति निरविन्दन्हृदि प्रतीष्या कवयॊ मनीषा
    The sages who have searched their hearts with wisdom know that which is is kin to that which is not.

कॊ आद्धा वॆद क*।इह प्रवॊचत् कुत आअजाता कुत इयं विसृष्टि: ।
    But, after all, who knows, and who can say whence it all came, and how creation happened?

Written (or revealed) more than 3000 years ago. Science cannot make a single change in the verse in 2014. My homage to Prajapati Parameshthin.

Namaste Yajvan ji,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    ~
    What makes room for this energy to exist ? Akāśa or avakāś[FONT=Tahoma]a is 'to make room' to provide space. So when you say 'all things' are constituted by physical energy that may be true of ~things~ but that is not the total inventory of what exists.
    There is something more fundamental then all this that comes from the big bang.
    Yes. Where will the Big Bang take place and where would the released energy exist ? That is a very good pointer.

Again, when we talk with terms as "Big Bang" and released energy and its being converted into various things etc., we forget to see that everything happened as per some natural laws and all energy/matter/vegetation/human beings/animals etc. all followed the natural laws very obediently or perished as per the laws. By whose fear everything works in this universe with so much mathematical precision and without fail ? How does everything in this universe "know" the laws that apply to it and how does it follow those laws if they have no consciousness ?

The problem is that we ask questions and by getting some intermediate answers we have a tendency to be satisfied using some scientific terminology and some taken-for-granted half-truths. For getting to the core of the Truth ... validity of all taken-for-granted-"truths" must be questioned and all scientific terminologies must be torn apart to see whether they are hiding the Truth and to see if we have got entangled into our own created fallacious logic-mesh.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Welcome

E = mc2
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Is 'akasha' eternal? Really we do not know. What is existence and what is non-existence? Is there a relation between the two as mentioned in the 'Nasadiya Sukta'.

नासदासींनॊसदासीत्तदानीं नासीद्रजॊ नॊ व्यॊमापरॊ यत् ।
    Then even nothingness was not, nor existence,
    Consider no-thing-ness to bring a richer understanding to this sūkta

iti śiva
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information