Thread: Global focus

Global focus

In the upcoming years and decades, should we put more emphasis on adopting a global perspective and working towards introducing more people to the dharma, while ensuring proper attention is paid to the propagation of falsities regarding the dharma within India? The world is becoming ever so smaller with the advent of the internet and other technologies, should we take more advantage of these means to better disperse the dharma and in essence, organize the Hindu community? For some reason, I feel like we're not taking advantage of these resources to the extent that other religious groups have.

Re: Global focus

Depends on who is included in the 'we' that is going to do this organization.

In my efforts in the last one year, I have not been able to get even three hindus (yes, that is correct, THREE individual hindus) to get organize and come up with a common theme for this very purpose. I tried this organization thing with a couple of friends before the idea of this forum came to be.

That has not discouraged me though for now that project is on the back burner for me but could be brought up on the list if more people are interested.

There are several problems that come up right away...there are those that are not interested in hindu organization as it seems like hindus are 'selling' dharma, then there are those who can not reconicle their differences and have their heads so wrapped up in the philosophy side of dharma that they can not bring themselves out of it to the modern man's level and can not outline the practical side of dharma for the modern man. These are just the two little issues... there are a million more...

But we need at least 5 people with 'like' minded philosophy on hinduism and the task that has to be accomplished. I was unable to find such 5 people in the last 1.5 years!!

s
    Last edited by satay; 03 July 2006 at 02:01 AM.
    satay

You're right, it would be practically impossible for the Hindu community/religion to be represented by one organization. In fact, I think our many traditions, schools, etc. are some of Hinduism's strengths. But, as you said, on a practical level currently, this doesn't translate into efficient organization (atleast online). Perhaps, we can attempt to bring the organizations that already exist together, to connect the organizations online, rather than create a new one. I'm not sure I'm articulating this properly, so please tell me if you find any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by indianx
    Perhaps, we can attempt to bring the organizations that already exist together, to connect the organizations online, rather than create a new one. I'm not sure I'm articulating this properly, so please tell me if you find any problems.
    And that sounds perfect and aligns with the theme of the 'Dharma related sites.' Once this list grows a little bit, I (or someone else) can contact the owners of these different websites and create sort of a ring of referrals. E.g. if someone is looking for specific information on advaita or dvaita or VA or hare krishna's they can then be referred to the sites on this list with a direct contact name. just thinking out loud...
    satay

Still it would be interesting to see some thoughts/articles of members from hindu community on 'what hinduism has to offer to the modern man as far as being practical.'

Maybe we can start by asking the new hindus here on this board the type of things they encounter and have difficulty with when first trying to learn about hinduism... finding information about hinduism that is authentic has got to be one of the problems towards the top of the list...
    then there are tons of sites on the net giving out wrong information about hinduism. How is the new hinud suppose to find his/her way to the correct information and get connected to the right people?
    satay

Thread Information