Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mundane astrology, not quite so mundane ...

Mundane astrology, not quite so mundane ...

Namaste all,

As you may or may not be aware, I am rather taken with the study of this wonderful, and I think divine science of light ...

Having been musing upon the subject of mundane astrology, I have decided to investigate some of the areas which interest me, here is one:

This is the chart of what has become known as the "Carrington Event".
    The Solar storm of 1st September 1859, recorded by Richard Christopher Carrington.

The first Western recording of a solar flare, strong enough to create an electrical arc between any thing consequent made from metal and its nearest route back to earth.

The interesting thing here, to my mind, is the bridge between Aslesha and Magha nakshatra across the Junction; a clear indication, I think, of just what can emerge from the void.
    The combined energy of sani, ketu, surya, sukra, budha and mangal; in what could be described as an graha feedback loop in the nakshatra parivatina between ketu and budha, perhaps amplifying the energy of the other graha involved.

The navamsa chart in the time following the recording of the event, shows a kalsarpa yoga.

I would be very interested to hear of your thoughts on this chart; or any other moments worthy of our investigation.

I am a novice to mundane astrology, though very much enamored; I am very keen to learn more.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 08 August 2014 at 07:13 AM.
    8i8

Re: Solar Storms...?

Just a few of the many!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1...magnetic_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_solar_storms

also *enjoy* this:
    http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...18aug_cmemovie

Interestingly, a massive (not the only one) electrical phenomenon was observed in 2003 which was caused by a 'software-bug' and earth-based!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Blackout_of_2003
    Last edited by Rohiniranjan; 08 August 2014 at 10:04 AM.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Dear RR,

Thank you for your input; I shall collect some of the similar events to look for correlations; Although none have reoccurred since with anywhere near the same magnitude so correlations might be hard to find; I shall catalog a few.

Note the scale of this first recorded event; The flare and the associated sunspots were visible to the naked eye :

"The largest recorded geomagnetic perturbation, resulting presumably from a CME, coincided with the first-observed solar flare on 1 September 1859, and is now referred to as the Carrington Event, or the solar storm of 1859. The flare and the associated sunspots were visible to the naked eye (both as the flare itself appearing on a projection of the sun on a screen and as an aggregate brightening of the solar disc), and the flare was independently observed by English astronomers R. C. Carrington and R. Hodgson. The geomagnetic storm was observed with the recording magnetograph at Kew Gardens. The same instrument recorded a crochet, an instantaneous perturbation of Earth's ionosphere by ionizing soft X-rays. This could not easily be understood at the time because it predated the discovery of X-rays by R�ntgen and the recognition of the ionosphere by Kennelly and Heaviside. The storm took down parts of the recently created US telegraph network, starting fires and shocking some telegraph operators. "

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 09 August 2014 at 01:24 AM.
    8i8

The uncontested (from science perspective) significance of Carrington Event is unquestionable!

But surely, it was not the first such event that ever befell upon the earth (billions of years of existence is nothing to sneeze at, if you can stretch your mind a bit?). Earlier too, such events must have occurred since solar energetic cycles seem to be fairly consistent, presumably! Unfortunately, they remain like the tree that fell in the forest unnoticed. But does that mean the earlier events did not produce the same or even larger SOUND (metaphorically!)>

Perhaps you should see the cycles of the nakshatric combinations etc in the past, at least as far as modern NASA calculations (software) permits and make a list of dates of possible solar hits. And similar ones ahead? And see if there is any relevance or not?

In the links I provided there is at least one instance where electrical disturbances of significant proportions were there without any measured solar correlate. It could serve as a placebo control or negative control for your research. Or it might help to delink the significance of the starry combinations from solar storms and might represent something else, although still of great practical significance to earth-dwellers.

Good luck in your research!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Dear RR,

Thank you for your input; I shall collect some of the similar events to look for correlations; Although none have reoccurred since with anywhere near the same magnitude so correlations might be hard to find; I shall catalog a few.

Note the scale of this first recorded event; The flare and the associated sunspots were visible to the naked eye :

"The largest recorded geomagnetic perturbation, resulting presumably from a CME, coincided with the first-observed solar flare on 1 September 1859, and is now referred to as the Carrington Event, or the solar storm of 1859. The flare and the associated sunspots were visible to the naked eye (both as the flare itself appearing on a projection of the sun on a screen and as an aggregate brightening of the solar disc), and the flare was independently observed by English astronomers R. C. Carrington and R. Hodgson. The geomagnetic storm was observed with the recording magnetograph at Kew Gardens. The same instrument recorded a crochet, an instantaneous perturbation of Earth's ionosphere by ionizing soft X-rays. This could not easily be understood at the time because it predated the discovery of X-rays by R�ntgen and the recognition of the ionosphere by Kennelly and Heaviside. The storm took down parts of the recently created US telegraph network, starting fires and shocking some telegraph operators. "

Kind regards.

A birth-epoch is a seemingly-random TRANSIT-epoch that gains a personal-meaningfulness and becomes a beacon in the current lifetime of the incarnated soul-fragment; the union of a kona (angle) with a trikona (trine)...?

Namaste,

Well this is proving to be a more interesting exercise than I could have possible first imagined; I must reiterate that I am not yet trained in mundane astrology and that these are the musings of a presumptions amateur.

It would seem that most of the subsequent smaller events, may be reflections of the initial solar flare; happening by the way of the nodes during the vimśottari daśa of the first event.

Please let me try to explain:

Working from the following list of events:
    • Solar storm of 1859
    • Aurora of November 17, 1882
    • May 1921 geomagnetic storm
    • March 1989 geomagnetic storm
    • August 1989
    • Bastille Day event, July 14, 2000
    • Halloween solar storms, 2003
    The initial event has been shown in post 1 above, here is the consequent Mahadaśa of that event :

closer investigation reveals that the scattering of flares which led to the Aurora of November 17, 1882 occurred during the Guru
    Mahadaśa; Rahu Antardaśa, of the initial event as such we do find a nodal influence here.
    More interesting to my mind, is the May 1921 geomagnetic storm of larger magnitude; caused by a significant increase in solar radiation at the time, a swelling if you will …
    We can see from the Mahadaśa that this event occurs in the Ketu period, in fact it is the Ketu
    Mahadaśa; śukra Antardaśa :

An examination of the chart of the May 1921 geomagnetic storm, shows clearly that Ketu and śukra were together in the
    nakṣatra of Aswini, another junction point. Lagna is of little relevance here as the event happened over a longer period.
    Worthy of note though is that śukra was stationary during this time giving full energy of the Ashwini n
    akṣatra who is ruled by Ketu.

In order for our daśa to cover the dates of the first event ; as is customary in mundane astrology a chart is made 144 years later. Interestingly the daśa starts with a Rahu period in the period of 1989; we might then consider The March 1989 geomagnetic storm.

"The Bastille Day Flare" or "Bastille Day Event" was a powerful solar flare on July 14, 2000.
    A closer examination of this current daśa chart, shows more nodal activity :

I have decided to neglect the Halloween solar storms of 2003, at this time; due to their not being strictly Earth directed and thus a minor event.

My conclusion drawn from this exercise is that Solar activity appears to have a very strong correlation to the nodes, particularly ketu, perhaps in relation to the Gaṇḍānta junctions; due to this the later smaller events are temporal reflections of the first; that these solar cardiac rhythms would be visible on earth due to the activity of the magnetosphere and their visibility upon the suns orb.

In both the objective and subjective mind.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 10 August 2014 at 04:17 AM.
    8i8

Re: Mundane astrology, not quite so mundane ...

In natal astrology, we often see folks who highlight single factors (such as rahu in lagna = xyz or sun in leo = pqd, etc etc) or sometimes over-glorify a yoga or sing hymns of combust planets -- at times with religious fervour (if not boyish/girlish enthusiasm). Rather than stopping there, one must find as many as possible other epochs with the very same factor operating to test concordances and reproducibility (observed vs expected).

Now, this is a bit difficult in natal because most folks do not have a large sample of charts which show similar specific single factor hits. Most such pronouncements at least on internet soon get washed with the passage of water of TIME!

In the mundane realm, though, it should be a tad easier and must be a critical step adopted by seekers and/or researchers. It would involve identifying a large number of dates (epochs) where the subject of the hypothesis (the rule, the principle, etc) exists, and then seeing if the outcome even matches the hypothesis. It should be done without getting emotionally too attached to a hypothesis which is overly simple or simplistic-sounding.

If the hypothesis does show up repeatedly without trying to wrestle the arm of logic and trying to ignore points or to *fit* too much, then it might be worth exploring further.

If it does not seem to hold water, even then the baby must not be thrown out with the bathwater (entire basin of hypothesis) but rather must beckon a study of other co-ligated factors that enable the hypothesis to make better sense!

If and when the hypothesis testing matures into a plausible theory, then just as in the beginning of the time-consuming pursuit one must ask themselves, "So, how can knowing this help? In practical terms??". If the answer is not convincing or apparent, then too only time has been lost since the theory would still be of academic (or curiosity) value at a given time, but might have future value!

Just some general search/research observations, shared here with no accusatory and hopefully not provocative intentions. Therefore, seeking no responses if someone feels offended, etc.

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan
    Last edited by Rohiniranjan; 10 August 2014 at 12:49 PM.

Namaste,

A large amount of Gaṇḍānta presence during AD 774-775 event.

We have kuṭila Guru with Ketu in Moola / Jyestha nakṣatra; whilst Surya and Mangal are about in Asleśa / Magha; Several other interesting occurrences during said period.

It could be time to build some software; so as to check out the statistics and probabilities involved here ...

R.R. Ji, religious fervor, childish enthusiasm? RR, These are amongst the norms of the spiritual path.
    Why on earth should it bother you if I express bhakti for the universe, for god, for śiva; For Jyotiṣ?

Seems to me to be the essence of this divine science, if we are to in any way attempt to understand its roots.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by Mana; 11 August 2014 at 05:54 AM.
    8i8

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    R.R. Ji, religious fervor, childish enthusiasm? RR, These are amongst the norms of the spiritual path.
    Why on earth should it bother you if I express bhakti for the universe, for god, for śiva; For Jyotiṣ?

Dear 'Mana'ji,

Greetings! Although part of the thread, please note that the message you reacted to and perhaps took it personally (subjectively) was a general address and sharing and not directed at you in particular. Also, being wary that some people tend to do so somewhat hastily, in closing I had clearly placed the caveat to not do so, meaning, not to take the general message, personally!

Whether one approaches a subject (including jyotish) as a religious or spiritual pursuit is ones personal choice and they should have full faith in their path without feeling the need to justify anything pertaining to the same. This would demonstrate that they are indeed DRIDHA (steadfast) and truly secure in their beliefs and personal approaches and vows.

I hope further clarifications etc (time consuming) would not be necessary!

All the best,

Rohiniranjan

Dear RR ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Rohiniranjan View Post
    I hope further clarifications etc (time consuming) would not be necessary!
    Then please stop; I am not requesting your guidance. Unless of course, you have something of interest to add on the subject of mundane astrology?

Perhaps you could consider starting a thread on "RR Ji's opinions" on how newbies get drawn into traps of over focusing on mathematically irrelevant coincidence; or, give advice on reading natal charts; something of the likes. I am certain that your many years of experience will make this very fruitful for many forthcoming Jyotiṣa.

I am learning by experimenting, and from parāsara through my jyotis guru. I appreciate thoughts on the study at hand in the language of Jyotiṣ or sanātana dharma; not ones based in either psychology or occidental religious dogmata. As previously stated I find you syntax to be a little difficult to understand; Certainly through fault of my own and not yours, none the less a barrier remains.

Please don't respond to this unless you have any useful information on either mundane astrology in general, Rahu/ketu and graha in sandhyā or "perhaps" in relation to solar flares ...

I am simply musing, certainly NOT looking to be followed ... (facepalm)

Kind regards.
    8i8

My dear Manaji,

Greetings!

I must write this to clear my name from what I have been wrongly blamed for. And hopefully to clear the air since such seems to have become necessary. Presumably, I do have a right to do so, like any other member in my position? I plead to the sense of fairness in your heart and of other friends here.

Certainly, if you feel that antipathic towards my helpful comments then I will not irritate you, although I thought we were simply sharing (communicating) all this time! But, it is good of you to share your anguish. I had no idea it was troubling you so much! For any such pain caused to your psyche, my apologies, of course! I must also request you to kindly ignore all my postings which may wrongly strike you as provocative or given unctorially! Neither of which misinterpretations would be accurate, quite honestly!

The Great Varahamihira has written profusely on aspects of Mundane or Medini Jyotish, and deserves our profound respects and undying gratitude!

Love and Light,

Rohiniranjan

Thread Information