Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on BG 2.47

Clarification on BG 2.47

Namaste.
    This shloka too is very subtle. It becomes hard to explain it to those who are driven by objective, like Western societies.

It is your duty to perform your task but you have no rights to duty thereof.

Why would any one develop a life saving drugs he he is not entitled to some profit therefrom?

A person is advised to first attain education and then become a householder. As a householder he utilises his knowledge for earning wealth ie artha. Why earning of wealth is removed then why would a man study hard?

Thanks in advance.

Arrow Re: Clarification on BG 2.47

Namaste ,

Whatever use a well has in a place flooded with water, that much use there is in the Vedas for an enlightened person.
    ( bhagavad gita 2.46 )

Though the Vedas speak of a variety of religious rites, we should accept only those that are conducive to our benefit. When the sun rises, many roads come in sight; but tell me, can a person take all of them? Or even if the earth is flooded with water, we take that much as will satisfy our thirst. So also the wise men reflect on the meaning of the Vedas and accept only the eternal truth.

You have the right to action alone and never for its fruit; do not have the fruit of action as a motive, or attachment to action.
    ( bhagavad gita 2.47)

O Arjuna, listen. If you consider it this way, it is best that you should perform your duty.
    After full consideration, I have come to this view that you should not give up your prescribed
    duty . But without hankering after the fruit of action or resorting to wicked deeds,
    you should perform only good deed disinterestedly.

Thank you. Hari om.

Re: Clarification on BG 2.47

Pranam

May be this might help, BG 2.47 was discussed here;

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ght=karma+2.47

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

I assure you that I know most of it. But please appreciate the problem. How to put it across cogently to a predominantly christian group?

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Namaste ,

You have the right to action alone and never for its fruit; do not have the fruit of action as a motive, or attachment to action.
    ( bhagavad gita 2.47)

O Arjuna, listen. If you consider it this way, it is best that you should perform your duty.
    After full consideration, I have come to this view that you should not give up your prescribed
    duty . But without hankering after the fruit of action or resorting to wicked deeds,
    you should perform only good deed disinterestedly.

Thank you. Hari om.
    The logical problem is that if I have no right on fruits, why should I act too? That is a very valid objection a layman might raise.Western countries are prosperous because people work hard but in the hope of fruits. It can hardly be denied that their life is better on every count.

Was Krishna advising total self denial of fruits? NO, no. He also tells that victory would give kingdom, death would give heaven. That definitely is assurance and right of some fruit. Only He did assure Arjun of a victory, not in so many word at least. Given that how could Arjun fight without some attachment?

Namaste,

In simple words, do not make money your goal of life. There are 4 purushartha-s, efforts in Hindu dharma

Dharma (righteousness) --> artha (finance / money) --> kAma (satisfaction of desires) --> moksha (liberation / salvation).

So shastra-s permit earn in fair way. To run (manage) a house and satisfy desires, one has to have bank balance. Shastra-s give freedom to spend money earned in fair way. Lastly even after enjoying life and earning to heart's content, when one still feels that I am missing something, one resorts to last purushartha, moksha

The idea behind this verse is not to get dragged in fruits of actions. If we expect fruits of action, then depending upon it result, one will act / react

1. If one gets success, one is encouraged to do more of karma. there arises attachment (rAga)

2. In case of failure, one is discouraged to repeat karma or any task, one acquires dvesha and hence tries to do failure analysis and decides not to repeat again. Failure may also result in inferiority complex, lowly feeling, and in some cases depression.

If there is no attachment or expectancy of results, then one will have control over mind and remain steady as one has understanding that whatever be the result of action, it is prasad of God.

Further if one do not accept the result, then three will be anger, ego problem, frustration, etc. This will not be the case if one surrenders karma and it's fruits to God.

To sum up, do business, earn, keep sufficient bank balance to sustain your family, spend money to enjoy life and satisfy desires, but never make earning your goal of life. Also never have huge expectations. Never try to life a royal life. Live simple life. This helps to reduce our monthly personal expenditure and hence less effort and stress or pressure to earn more and more (to satisfy royal desires). Control over mind and senses is important.

Since raga and dvesha attract anger, attachment, grief, sorrow, material happiness, etc, they are the reason for increasing our rate of karma and hence we fall in vicious cycle of life and death.

We do not say that DO NOT HAVE ANY DESIRES. this is not possible. Infact we are born in this world to satisfy desires (vAsanA-s). But in process of satisfying, due to attachment of karma, we in-turn create more desires and react more and more to fruits of karma. This piles up merits and demerits.

If we do not act, then how can we satisfy our desires, the reason for our human birth? we have to act as one cannot stay without without work i.e. stay idle for even 5 minutes. Better keep mind occupied by doing karma, but turn their direction towards God. So do karma for God and surrender their fruits to God. Accept whatever returns you ge. Knowing that certain things are not in our hand will let us stay calm or calm down fast. If everything happens according to our wish, then no one will remember God. God has given free will, but we also have prArabhdha i.e. pre-determined destiny. We have to pass through certain phase of life and certain incidents no matter we like it or not. But how to interpret the situation is in our hand and hence our actions which decide future is in our hands. What we are suffering is due to ripening of fruits of past or past life / lives. How we perceive, interpret and act / react will decide our future.

Hope this helps

Aum

Amrut
    Last edited by Amrut; 07 September 2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

praNAm

Ganeshprasadji has given the right thread, but it is for the HDF audience, not necessarily simple enough.

So...
    To manufacture a life-saving drug, I have something more than the monetary profit in mind. I am inspired to make a revolutionary change for the sake of mankind. I am truly fascinated by my scientific research results, knowledge and genius, and this gives me the impetus backed by the social factor.

After all this, I am not a fool to invest resources, time, skill-set, people, money to give the drug away for free. Of course I expect (by common sense and market sense) that I will earn money. This is an assumption, and perhaps expectation. fine.

So the drug comes out, and it makes a loss. Then what? I read BG 2.47 and
    ---do not let the inner peace go away.
    ---do not curse and blame myself for bad market sense
    ---do not get angry or frustrated on wrong or inadequate technical know-how, study,research

in short I may learn from the mistakes, but I don't repent and lament. It made a loss. By providence. let Him do what He wants to. I accept the result graciously.

assume --> expect ---> act ---> accept result as is, learn, realize I am not the doer, and move on.

AND NOT:
    assume --> expect ---> act ---> get dissappointed, lament, curse, be upset, lose inner peace

om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ~
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    assume --> expect ---> act ---> accept result as is, learn, realize I am not the doer, and move on.

AND NOT:
    assume --> expect ---> act ---> get dissappointed, lament, curse, be upset, lose inner peace
    "I am not the [key, instrumental] doer, praKRti and the whole system is" is a key factor in this. Just noticed that Atanuji was saying that in different words on the other karma-yoga thread.

Hare KRshNa

Conversely, if the drug made a revolutionary change, the inventor was all over the news headlines and magazines (FAME, pratishThA)
    and the inventor became a millionare in due course, the pharmaceutical company became a household name.

BG 2.47 says that the inventor should not wrongly identify with the local body-person and take all the credit thinking it was his/her doing. "I am the King now"

sammAn- honor, fame-pratishThA, dravya-lAbha - monetary gain, should not make the person float in the sky - since this man-made fame and result is transient, short-lived, and will make them falsely identify with the body all the more, taking them far away from realization of the AtmA.

* By acknowledging the hand of daiva (luck & past karma)and PrakRti, circumstances, everything.
    * By recognizing one's tru nature as achala, unchanging AtmA.

Taken one step further, KRshNa touches the point of karma-phala-tyAga (sacrificing the results/fruits of action) in BG chapter 12 - Bhakti Yog

In this context, karma-phala-tyAga would be giving all the fame (pratishThA), sammAn (honor) back to Ishvar and Ishvari Shakti, not taking the credit. Idam na mama. This is all a result of Your grace and all Yours my Lord. None of it belongs to me (OR I am the AtmA that is alipta - aloof from all this, not the doer).

As for concrete dravya - monetary gain - use it best in service of paramAtmA (be it direct or indirect). Any service to family, society, spiritual cause, mankind - both material and spiritual should be for HIM only. To ultimately take the benefactors through dharma-artha-kama-moksha and if possible, the 5th purushartha - prema-bhakti which overlaps with moksha and dharma.

Thread Information