Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: subcultures?

mcshantihank Guest

subcultures?

Namaste!
    How to cope with subcultures and artist like Marilyn Manson? What would be the vedic advice?

Re: subcultures?

Vannakkam mcshantihank: Welcome to HDF!

I think one would compare the morals, values, etc between the two, and then conclude that these darker subcultures have no place in Vedic dharma. This is my personal opinion.

Which way does it make the chakras spin?

Aum Namasivaya

mcshantihank Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam mcshantihank: Welcome to HDF!

I think one would compare the morals, values, etc between the two, and then conclude that these darker subcultures have no place in Vedic dharma. This is my personal opinion.

Which way does it make the chakras spin?

Aum Namasivaya
    But if you listen to MM can't you just learn something about life?
    why is darker subcultures not good?

Vannakam:

It's not that it's not good, as we don't believe in evil at all. If its a place where you get your individual lessons, then all is fine. In a mystical sense, the chakras would be going down into lower realms, as that is what most of the rock lyrics and sounds take you. Music can bring you up or bring you down. We want our auras to lighten up, to be shining actinically, not in worlds of dark colors. This then uplifts our fellow beings.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 27 May 2010 at 07:20 AM.

You have received a very strange and confused reply not at all based on vedic dharma or any other darshana (philosophy).

Hindus can listen to any music they like without any danger to produce wrong aura colors or have chakras spinning the wrong direction or any such rabid nonsense.

Vannakam mcshantihank:

Just to convince myself, I did take a look at a few of the lyrics here:

http://www.azlyrics.com/m/marilyn.html

It didn't seem much in alignment with Sanatana Dharma, but to each his own I suppose.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 25 May 2010 at 06:18 PM.

The lyrics are highly disturbing. It may not seem like a big deal. Remember though that when you listen to words through music, it becomes a form of hypnosis. As a sadhaka you want to keep your mind pure, so that it can operate on a higher level. Music in general fires up passion, anger and lust and therefore is rajasik. "Emo music, trashy pop and bad rap music are tamo guna, because it debilitates reason very quickly. The best music is in sattva guna and above: bhajans, mantras, stotras, katha, kirtana, path etc. If you are serious about sadhana, listen to sattva music.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 25 May 2010 at 04:36 PM.

If a sadhak is already disturbed or troubled just by listening to popular music it is not the music that should be blamend but the weakness of the sadhak and his utter lack of proper sadhana.

What a degenerated time we live in, sadhakas once called "viras" (heroes) have become afraid of music, just like the mullahs. Next we start praying to the Qaba?

I am not saying that someone who is an advanced sadhaka will be bothered by mere listening to music. I am classifying music according to the gunas. This is not similar to what the mullas are saying, I am not forbidding music. I read the lyrics of the song and my understanding is that this type of music is tamo guna. Someone interested in spirituality is better of not listening to such music. The energetic effect it has on our conscious and subconscious mind is very real.

I am sure you disagree and are holding a neo tantrik view that whatever you want to do is allright. I am not going to say that people shouldn't listen to all sorts of music. It's their own decision. I am just giving my piece of advice. Some discrimination is necessary for people who have not reached perfection. Of course, a great soul like yourself would not be disturbed, even if kamadeva came along with all of Indra's apsaras and gandharvas.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 25 May 2010 at 06:14 PM.

If a sadhaka is disturbed by music there is something terribly wrong with his sadhana or his entire path or his religion and he should look for alternatives.

People are living in "lower planes of energy" because they like a certain kind of music? Says who? Ayatollah Khameni?

Thread Information