Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindly help identifying these images from recent India trip

Kindly help identifying these images from recent India trip

Hello, I sometimes make presentations on Hinduism and I've been to India researching several times, including in January. However I'm unsure about the following items and any light you could throw on them would be great! Many many thanks in advance.

Here a Shiva shrine has been built around a tree, I assume in combination of folk with Brahminical Hinduism?

How unusual is the tilted swastika? I've only seen it once before in India.

What spiritual significance is the rosewater bowl?

Is this a balipeetha, the platform for leaving the ego behind before approaching a temple? It's usually inside next to the gumba flag post within the grounds but here it's at the base of a long set of steps up the hillside to the temple.
    Be without the three gunas, O Arjuna

Re: Kindly help identifying these images from recent India trip

Can you explain the temple elephant blessing?

Are these little bags of stones? I've no idea what they are or mean; I saw them twice adorning trees.

Can you say what makes some deities more suited to oil abhishekam offerings like this, rather than anything else?

Are these simply decorative cloths for shrine surfaces?

What's this? I got it from a temple stall.

Here sandal wood is rubbed against a stone with water, to make a light tilak paste for forehead and idol- is this correct?

Can you say why Saraswati prefers white?

Here's Guru Nanak- I wonder if Sikhs are also happy with him seen as part of the wider Hindu tradition?

One last thing, maybe I need to find a better Hindu name... Giri I think is the name I should be using, for hill or mountain, but can you direct me to a good list on the net?

Quote Originally Posted by Girisha View Post
    Hello, I sometimes make presentations on Hinduism and I've been to India researching several times, including in January. However I'm unsure about the following items and any light you could throw on them would be great! Many many thanks in advance.

Here a Shiva shrine has been built around a tree, I assume in combination of folk with Brahminical Hinduism?

Namaste,

Well,tree worship has existed in India for a long time.I am not a Vedic scholar but if any trees are mentioned in the Veda mantras I wouldn't consider it as exclusively folk.Also,many huge temples in Southern India have something called a Sthala Vriksha(temple tree) but I do not know the significance of it.

In the story of Maha Shivarathri,a hunter sitting on a tree branch drops Bilva leaves on a Shiva Linga at the base of tree.Though he doesn't know there is a Shiva Lingam he attains the merit of worshiping Lord Shiva with Bilva patras.So,Shiva Lingas could be found at near trees from very ancient times.

Brahminical Hinduism in my view is a divisive term.There are scriptures and there are local traditions,all scriptures are neither Brahminical nor are all local traditions totally distinct from scriptural Hinduism.Hinduism belongs to all people who wish to follow it.

How unusual is the tilted swastika? I've only seen it once before in India.
    Is this the Birla Temple in Delhi?Yes,it is quite unusual,I haven't such a symbol so far.

What spiritual significance is the rosewater bowl?
    It looks nice.Maybe its for decorative purpose.

Is this a balipeetha, the platform for leaving the ego behind before approaching a temple? It's usually inside next to the gumba flag post within the grounds but here it's at the base of a long set of steps up the hillside to the temple.
    The Gumba?I think you mean the Dhwaja Sthamba.Here there is no Flag post close by,so I too don't know what it is.
    Based on the architecture of the Gopura and Mandapa I think this temple is in South India,most probably Andhra region or Karnataka.

Which places did you visit?
    He dances in the golden hall of Chidambaram, Let us worship His rosy anklet girt Feet.

Hello there Ram11, many thanks for those thoughts, which I'll do more research on. Yes I was in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka for much of my visit but also in the north for a short time; your temple identification is correct.

Best wishes, Giri

What's this? I got it from a temple stall.
    That looks like something related to Black magic..

Here's Guru Nanak- I wonder if Sikhs are also happy with him seen as part of the wider Hindu tradition?
    The idol on the far left is most definitely Sri Vishwakarma Deva, it is not Sri Guru Nanak.

I answered what I can lol.

Namaste,

I was expecting some South-Indian to come for help. Let me try to answer your questions :

1. Shiva-linga at the root of the tree.

===> Some trees e.g. Peepal tree, Banyan tree etc. are considered sacred in Hindu Dharma. It is common to have deities by the roots of such trees.

2. Tilted SwastikA

You have not mentioned the name of the temple which could have helped in ascertaining the reason better. This could be some specific mark used by specific sect or just a innovative way of using SwastikA as Chakra (wheel) which the mark of Dharma.

3. Flowers in a water-bowl

This decoration is quite common in South India. Water and flowers combination is considered auspicious and attracts goddess Laxmi's blessings.

4. Balipeetha ?

Can't say for sure. Some south-Indian friends can help. Again you have not mentioned what deity is there in the temple.

5. Blessing by elephant :

Elephant is considered a symbol of Lord Ganesha. Moreover, for Hindus everything is divine i.e. there is nothing in this universe where God is not. So, it is permitted to worship any symbol as God. So, getting blessings by elephant is akin to getting blessings from God.

6. Little bags tied on trees

These are, imo, wishes written and tied to the tree with some offerings to deity.

7. Mustard Oil

Is it Shani temple ? Lord Shani ie happy if Mustard Oil is offered to him.

8. Decorative Clothes

These are called Chunaris. Chunari is worn by married women. Did you see this in a Goddess's temple ? This is offered to Mother Goddess by the devotees.

9. Different deities in one place

Hindus and Sikhs have many things in common. Actually, Sikhism was born within Hinduism. It is quite common to see Sikh Gurus being worshipped by Hindus. In Kabul there is a temple where in one shrine, both Hindus and Sikhs perform their religious rituals. The shrine is dedicated to Goddess Durga and it also has place for offering prayers by the Sikhs.

BTW, common Hindus have no qualms in worshipping Gurus/deities of other religions.

10. Mother Saraswati in White

Mother Saraswati is symbol of JnAna i.e. knowledge and wisdom. JnAna purifies one from all impurities. White is considered "free from all impurities". Therefore, Mother Saraswati's favourite dress is white.

11. Sandal paste making

You got it right.

12. Black doll-shaped figure

This is an image of Lord Shani. Shani is one of the nine grahas which is worshiped to keep away troubles. Shani is the most difficult graha and it is believed that if he is angry with anyone, he will have to suffer badly in life. So, he is worshiped for making one free from troubles.

There are number of websites for getting Hindu Names of your choice. You may refer to this site : http://www.bachpan.com/Hindu-Boy-Names-G.aspx
    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thanks very very much devotee, that's all extremely helpful. I'm most indebted to you!

I'll write a longer reply hopefully later today or tomorrow and include a few photos from my travels.

Thanks again.

That is not Sri Guru Nanak Dev, That is Sri Vishwakarma Dev! Look at the idol's arms, he is chaturbuj (4 armed), with Sri Vishwakarma Dev's iconic weapons + vahana.

Thread Information